Side mirror vibration anyone?

This^
My solution:

I made a shim out of a Costco Maple syrup bottle.

I used my Weiss snips. Heavy scissors would work. Careful if you use a razor knife.

Cut the bottom out ~3" diameter. Used a drinking glass to trace the circle.
Cut a hole inside this 3" circle, ~2" diameter. " " "
Cut about a 1/2" gap in this shim
Slip it into the offending gap
Use a trim tool or similar tool to fully insert the shim.
Fixed, no more shimmy and shake
Mirror folds and extends with no issue

Barely visible and if it bothers you, a black sharpie with fix it.

You could use a Rubbermaid lid for the material but I used enough kitchen stuff for my projects...I avoid the future conversation regarding "one of my lids is missing".

Any HDPE will work. I'd advise against rubber. To much friction...you want plastic on plastic.

Hope this helps until Toyota admits it's a problem and offers a solution. Dealers will just look at you and likely state "they all do it; it's normal".
Thanks for sharing. Any pics of the repair?

IMG_2970.jpg
IMG_2971.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg

Great solution! I'm wondering if you could remove the mirror and place the shim (think I'd use metal) on the underside of the mount. I've never had the LC mirror apart but other Toyota mirrors have a spring with a bolt/pin/shaft that holds the base and the mirror together. Might be a case where the spring needs to be stretched to apply more tension or a shim to accomplish the same thing.

Attachments

• Mirror OUTER REAR VIEW MIRROR COVER.pdf
    914.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Mirror OUTER REAR VIEW MIRROR REMOVAL.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Great solution! I'm wondering if you could remove the mirror and place the shim (think I'd use metal) on the underside of the mount. I've never had the LC mirror apart but other Toyota mirrors have a spring with a bolt/pin/shaft that holds the base and the mirror together. Might be a case where the spring needs to be stretched to apply more tension or a shim to accomplish the same thing.
Your fix would be best.

I was looking into a quick fix with as little drama as possible. Trim pieces and my clumsy use of trim tools usually results in broken tabs and the resultant cussing.

A solid Belville conical spring washer or three, used as shims, would likely tighten up the gap. Of course, once you tear into the project, you would be down a mirror until you sourced the correct washer/shim. Possible items: Source for spring washers and Shims

I chose the easy button.

Question: where and how are you accessing the Toyota shop manual instruction and such; Toyota service manual subscription perhaps?

Your fix would be best.

I was looking into a quick fix with as little drama as possible. Trim pieces and my clumsy use of trim tools usually results in broken tabs and the resultant cussing.

A solid Belville conical spring washer or three, used as shims, would likely tighten up the gap. Of course, once you tear into the project, you would be down a mirror until you sourced the correct washer/shim. Possible items: Source for spring washers and Shims

I chose the easy button.

Question: where and how are you accessing the Toyota shop manual instruction and such; Toyota service manual subscription perhaps?
Yepper, TIS subscription, $100 for a month.

So in Montanna you should have some sort of a Farm Supply store. I often use their machinery shims for larger diameter holes/pins...... saves me from machining them out of solid stock.

Back