Running Boards/Steps Options

salvadorsantana

📛 Founding Member
Apr 11, 2024
Media
Miami
Vehicles
Cayenne, Bronco, Model Y
So, I have a bare bones 1958 and I would like to install running boards or steps. I have seen some videos/pictures of Toyota all over the world but USA where their Land Cruisers are rocking full size running boards. Like the one bellow.

My white one at the bottom for reference.

IMG_2574.jpg

DSC_2384.jpg

I'm sure there will soon be plenty of LC/LC trim folks willing to sell you theirs when they replace them with rock rails.

Oh my I just realized that the LC trim comes with those running boards, but for some reason they are not showing up on the Toyota Land Cruiser specific parts.

Got to call a not so busy dealer parts to look up that parts number.

The Lexus GX has powered running boards that can be disabled so they don't extend. Perhaps they could be retrofitted to the Land Cruiser, though I don't know how the controller works.

The Lexus GX has powered running boards that can be disabled so they don't extend. Perhaps they could be retrofitted to the Land Cruiser, though I don't know how the controller works.

Yes the GX Luxury Plus trim has retractable running boards. Would be awesome if they also fit the LC.

I’m fairly certain those running boards pictured are part of the premie package. I didn’t really want them but probably won’t take them off either. I don’t think they are add ons like the roof rack for example.

Want…

I’m fairly certain those running boards pictured are part of the premie package. I didn’t really want them but probably won’t take them off either. I don’t think they are add ons like the roof rack for example.
In the US, every mid-trim LC comes with running boards, premium package or not. About a week ago I stopped by my local dealer and looked at a mid trim w/o premium package and it had them.

I just got my LC 1958. I am looking for running boards. My dealer suggested I try off-market options as Toyota may not allow them to install on lower trims. Any tested off-market options, or any base/FE trim owners planning to take them off? I am SF/bay area CA.

I just got my LC 1958. I am looking for running boards. My dealer suggested I try off-market options as Toyota may not allow them to install on lower trims. Any tested off-market options, or any base/FE trim owners planning to take them off? I am SF/bay area CA.
I'm taking my illuminated running boards off my LC Premium in the next couple weeks. I wouldn't mind shipping them if you're interested.

I'm taking my illuminated running boards off my LC Premium in the next couple weeks. I wouldn't mind shipping them if you're interested.
Ok! I will message you on direct chat. Also, are there two versions illuminated and regular running boards? As long as I can bolt it to my 1958, I am good. Thanks!

That makes no sense! In Canada my 1958 came with running boards at no extra cost, I think that all of ours do, plus a ball mount for the hitch, mudflaps, carpet (and the all weather protector) for the cargo area are all included with the 1958.

That makes no sense! In Canada my 1958 came with running boards at no extra cost, I think that all of ours do, plus a ball mount for the hitch, mudflaps, carpet (and the all weather protector) for the cargo area are all included with the 1958.
I pick mine up Friday - will report back. Definitely remember the non-skid mat in the back.

Side question - did yours come with the 245 or 265 tires. Website says our 1958 gets 245s, but I've seen 1958s rocking 265s from the factory up here.

I pick mine up Friday - will report back. Definitely remember the non-skid mat in the back.

Side question - did yours come with the 245 or 265 tires. Website says our 1958 gets 245s, but I've seen 1958s rocking 265s from the factory up here.
245s on my 1958 unfortunately.

Can I request you are anyone to share a picture of how the running boards on attached on 1958 and to other trims. Greatly appreciated. I am told it's exactly the same tooling that is used for all the three trims and that the boards can be attached to 1958 as well. Given that the part number is not listed for 1958 use, I want to be double sure I will be able to attach them.

Can I request you are anyone to share a picture of how the running boards on attached on 1958 and to other trims. Greatly appreciated. I am told it's exactly the same tooling that is used for all the three trims and that the boards can be attached to 1958 as well. Given that the part number is not listed for 1958 use, I want to be double sure I will be able to attach them.

Images of attachment point and connector here - Its 3 brackets with 2x 12mm bolts each. The mounting holes are on all trims.

the lights are controlled by connectors I1 and I2, which are also available on all LC trims. These harnesses are linked to the door light controls, so if the puddle lights in the doors are on, these lights are on. In trims where the connector isn't used, its tucked up into the wiring harness with a plug over the cover.

IMG_1961.jpg
IMG_1963.jpg
IMG_1964.jpg
1721243018144.png

Attachments

• IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 116
Images of attachment point and connector here - Its 3 brackets with 2x 12mm bolts each. The mounting holes are on all trims.

the lights are controlled by connectors I1 and I2, which are also available on all LC trims. These harnesses are linked to the door light controls, so if the puddle lights in the doors are on, these lights are on. In trims where the connector isn't used, its tucked up into the wiring harness with a plug over the cover.

View attachment 5081View attachment 5082View attachment 5083View attachment 5084
Wow!!! Thank you!!

Back