Recovery Points

Don

📛 Founding Member
Jul 27, 2024
Media
Chicago
Vehicles
LC250
Anyone find a rating for the tow points on the vehicle? I'm making sure to have a bridle so that two points would always be used. But I'm wondering if higher rated recovery points are worthwhile.

The choice in the back is to either used the receiver or the two tow points. The receiver is rated at 9000lbs.

This is the bridle I selected. It is least expensive name brand item I found. Be aware that the tow points on the vehicle are attached with only one bolt, which means these points are likely designed to fail at excessive loads. A bridle not only halves the load, but balances the forces on the frame.

A tree protector would also work, but is more likely to be damaged if used as a bridle.

A very high quality but low "lifespan" recovery strap is made by ARB. It's only good for ten pulls, which is why its so inexpensive (ARB is top of the line and typically very expensive.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 2.07.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 2.07.53 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
@Don just curious........Couldn't a second recovery rope or strap (and two soft shackles) be used as a bridle by threading it through the loop on the primary rope or strap?

Sure, but technically a recovery rope would be ruined because it was stressed at a single point.

So, best to have a bridle, I guess.

Or if both vehicles have two recovery points available, two ropes or straps - one attached to each recovery point on each vehicle - seems like it would work as well, without undue stress on any recovery point of either vehicle. That would require 4 soft shackles though.

Back