Air Compressors - Best type to keep in LC?

If you want to hard mount the 12v outlet (not necessary), you will need to fabricate/buy a mounting flange (3d printing may be an option).
This was over simplified and not my intention to insult anyone's skill set.
There are surface mount 12v outlets, I got one at a local auto parts store and installed it in the drivers side glove box of my 2008 FJ to provide a plugin for my GPS. All you need to do is decide where to put the hole (and make sure you have access to the back of the hole). I had a more substantial version of this, I can't find one on Amazon quite like what I used:

Amazon.com

Ther are too many different types of 12v outlets to list, some with surface mounts, some with right angle mounts, some with volt meters, USB ports etc.......

This is the one I use (I put heavier gage wires on) cause it's cheap and I've never had one rust up or go bad.....

1725586045608.png

I don't see that anyone has mentioned it yet, but for occasional use you can run a pretty substantial 120v portable compressor from the onboard 2400 watt inverter for a fraction of the cost. No cool factor, however.
X ๐Ÿ’ฏ

I picked up a 110V compressor (TC-BL brushless) and have used it plugged into the rear of the LC this past weekend. It was super fast compared to 12V units I've used before. Time will tell how reliable it is, but so far I'm impressed with the performance, but wish it was a little more compact.

I also added a 20A 12V outlet to the battery cover so I can run all my old accessories as well. It's pretty dumb/annoying that Toyota didn't include one like they do on all their other SUVs.

I picked up a 110V compressor (TC-BL brushless) and have used it plugged into the rear of the LC this past weekend. It was super fast compared to 12V units I've used before. Time will tell how reliable it is, but so far I'm impressed with the performance, but wish it was a little more compact.

I also added a 20A 12V outlet to the battery cover so I can run all my old accessories as well. It's pretty dumb/annoying that Toyota didn't include one like they do on all their other SUVs.
How many amps is the 12 volt socket on the back of the center console?

How many amps is the 12 volt socket on the back of the center console?
No idea, but I'm sure it isn't 20a. A 20a circuit is going to need some 12-14ga wire depending on the length of the run. I would guess it's setup for charging phones and ipads, maybe a paddleboard air pump, but not a compressor.

Having the battery in the back makes it really simple to add a 12v plug there. I drilled mine int he battery cover so I can easily remove it and replace the cheaper plastic bit if I want to erase the evidence later.

No idea, but I'm sure it isn't 20a. A 20a circuit is going to need some 12-14ga wire depending on the length of the run. I would guess it's setup for charging phones and ipads, maybe a paddleboard air pump, but not a compressor.

Having the battery in the back makes it really simple to add a 12v plug there. I drilled mine int he battery cover so I can easily remove it and replace the cheaper plastic bit if I want to erase the evidence later.
Do you have some pictures of that install? How much slack did you leave on the inside for when you remove the now-tethered plastic panel?

No pictures handy, but I used a 4' kit from Amazon., that was the shortest I could find.
You just need to drill a hole with a unibit to stick it through (I don't remember the exact size, but it was around 25mm/1").
I placed mine to the left, upper edge of the panel so it wouldn't collide with the battery and roughly mirrors the 120V outlet on the other side.
There was an empty terminal on the positive battery connector so the whole install maybe took 5 minutes and didn't require me disconnecting the battery. ymmv

I ended up ordering the EZFlate Mesa + hyperflex hose. That hose is absolutely overkill for my uses, but yolo! let's have some fun! There was a 10% off code on some dude's youtube video that worked (I don't remember the code or the video, sorry!)

If your not opposed to drill a hole...... I did notice that under the un-need third row arm rest, very near the 12v battery, on the underside, would be a good place to through mount a 12v outlet. Plenty of access from the rear to tighten the jam nut and a very short run to the battery. It would be hidden and out of the way when not in use.

Last edited:
I got this one because you can set the target pressure and let it run and it has a continuous working time of 40 minutes rather than 15, yet was affordable and of reasonable size. Has worked great for me and is fast (the claimed 1.5 minutes from 35 to 40psi seems about right). I plug it into the 12v behind the front row and leave it on the floor there out of the dirt and an extension hose reaches all tires easily.

Attachments

• 71x9bAGMW7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71x9bAGMW7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 39
If you take the lid off the pass side under hood fuse box there's a red cover, flip it up and that's the pos connection point for jumper cables.

You can purchase a "battery tender" pig tail from Amazon that you could hook directly to the battery and just leave it loose in the jack storage area.

If you gain access to the 12V battery you will see a hard plastic terminal/post cover, if you remove that cover there is an unused stud leading to the battery via a 100amp fuse (I think it's 100 amp) I think it's a M8 thread.

They sell on amazon short connectors that'll connect to the tender pig tail. They come in an 8" loop and you cut off and discard they end you don't need. I would cut the clips off the ViAir (leaving enough wire to splice on a new end (on the compressor side and clip side) that way you could reconnect the clips should you ever need to use it on another vehicle and the LC could be plugged directly into the compressor etc......... If you have any other 12 items you could add the connector etc......
Hi EOD Guy,
Good morning. I very much appreciate you sharing your experiences. However, I am very visual. Would you please post a video or several still photos to help us a lot.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Hi EOD Guy,
Good morning. I very much appreciate you sharing your experiences. However, I am very visual. Would you please post a video or several still photos to help us a lot.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Best I can do... You don't have to have a circuit breaker if you use an inline fuse.

Attachments

• 12v outlet 2.jpg
    12v outlet 2.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 42
My choice, the Alltop Dual compressor.

It airs up a lot faster than single compressors and I can use it for my other vehicles as it's portable. Speed is important, nothing worse than sitting in the dirt in the heat after a long trail run waiting 10 minutes per tire. The alltop will fill a 35 inch tire in just a few minutes. Only downside is that it's a bit bulky. Best of luck to all.

My choice, the Alltop Dual compressor.

It airs up a lot faster than single compressors and I can use it for my other vehicles as it's portable. Speed is important, nothing worse than sitting in the dirt in the heat after a long trail run waiting 10 minutes per tire. The alltop will fill a 35 inch tire in just a few minutes. Only downside is that it's a bit bulky. Best of luck to all.
I have this AllTop as well and is as fast as the other top brands. I will be selling mine now that I have the ARB. Message me if youโ€™re interested.

The CATuned kit looks interesting. Like the idea of a permanent solution vs. something I have to hook up when wanted. I had an ARB mounted under hood on my LR4 and I used it way more than I ever thought I would.

One question I have is why wasn't the air fitting designed to aim towards the side of the vehicle instead of towards the center of the engine? Seems a little awkward.

Also not sure about how the wiring is run. I suppose that's a more minor quibble, though.

I have a new single motor ARB that I was messing with this past weekend. Thought about mounting it in the spot where the stock jack goes (and obviously moving that elsewhere). Would require the fabrication of a bracket that insets the compressor more than the jack. This may not be a good idea, however. The ARB compressor can get a little hot so mounting it somewhere with suboptimal ventilation could be asking for problems.

Then again, the CA Tuned kit has the ECU's mounted right on the dual compressor. Maybe the dual doesn't get as hot as the single?

Back