garycruiser

📛 Founding Member
Oct 10, 2024
Media
New Zealand
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 250 Diesel Hybrid
Hi all,

I live in New Zealand and I just recently placed my order for a based trim with no MTS and no rear differential lock. As a newbie in 4x4, I realized there is no rear differential lock in based trim and I might be limited in capabilities when it comes to off roading.

Attached a picture of the center console of base model here in New Zealand. I am pretty sure a based trim w/ center differential lock is adequate for country roads. I am interest to explore more on off-roading therefore I am thinking whether I should get rear differential lock in my order.

I hope of hear some of your experience about how important is rear differential in circumstances.

Any comments will be appreciated :).

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_3950.JPG
    IMG_3950.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 16
IMO when you need rear lockers, nothing else will do as good a job other than a tow rope or winch. Adding them afterwards is very doable with aftermarket kits, but I'm not sure if the rear dif ring and pinion is the same as previous models.

If it were me, and it's not too late to add them, I would.

For everything the US/Canada base model lacks, I'm glad we get the rear locker. I think open diffs with ATRAC will get you out of most situations, but the diff locks make it a lot quicker and easier.

Back