Real World mpg

20mpg here on the first 200mi. Stock '58 on the 245/18s, mostly highway. 80⁰ beautiful sunny day with little to no wind. Still on the first tank of fuel from the dealer; who knows what they put in there. Hoping the mileage gets a bit better as the miles come up.

Is there any way to display tank average MPG? I see trip MPG and total average MPG (resettable) but my favorite in my RAV4 hybrid has always been tank average. Long enough distance to be meaningful, short enough to be fun.
Yes. If you go into the DID (Driver Information Display), scroll to the gear "settings" and select fuel economy and in there you can change the setting to something that you can reset at will, or a reading that will reset at every fill-up, providing current tank fuel economy. This of course is with the 58. Not sure if the LC is different.
1721615599240.png

Yes. If you go into the DID (Driver Information Display), scroll to the gear "settings" and select fuel economy and in there you can change the setting to something that you can reset at will, or a reading that will reset at every fill-up, providing current tank fuel economy. This of course is with the 58. Not sure if the LC is different.
View attachment 5486
I saw this in the manual and it suggests there is no tank/trip fuel economy display, which is what I determined when menu diving.

Of course I could reset the total every fuel up, but that’s not exactly ideal.

I would love it if the trip odometer display showed MPG in addition to distance and time.

Road tripped from pickup in Denver back home to San Diego with the 275/70R18 E-load KO3s and have a stated average of 20, but after adjusting for undercounting on the odometer closer to 21 MPG, although this includes going over the Rockies (including several paved and unpaved mountain passes) and some fierce desert winds in 115 degree heat.

I saw this in the manual and it suggests there is no tank/trip fuel economy display, which is what I determined when menu diving.

Of course I could reset the total every fuel up, but that’s not exactly ideal.

I would love it if the trip odometer display showed MPG in addition to distance and time.

It’s there.
-Scroll all the way to the right in the DID,
- Select the picture of the two dials with the gear on it.
-Scroll down to the leaf image & select
  • Select Fuel Economy
  • Select ‘Tank Average’. It will reset at each fill-up

Attachments

• IMG_6741.jpeg
    IMG_6741.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 55
My first 500 miles I was getting about 18 HWY with cruise set at 80. Hoping it keeps creeping up. My Tundra did closer to 5,000 miles.

There’s been a few initial reports in different threads and they appeared fairly low. Hopefully more out there soon. What’s your general mix of city/highway/offroad?
17.8 but I did put some pretty knobby off road tires on.

It’s there.
-Scroll all the way to the right in the DID,
- Select the picture of the two dials with the gear on it.
-Scroll down to the leaf image & select
  • Select Fuel Economy
  • Select ‘Tank Average’. It will reset at each fill-up

lol, of course it isn't under the "Fuel Economy" settings! it under the other fuel economy settings 🤪

Once i get a chance today I'll go try to find it! thanks for the tip.

FYI, I'm now 1800 + miles and the onboard calculator has indicated from 16.4-16.7 mpg since the start. This is not what sticker promised... still waiting for that anticipated hybrid break in. I'm about 60% highway/40% city; highway drives about 80 mph.
ECO setting has been used

FYI, I'm now 1800 + miles and the onboard calculator has indicated from 16.4-16.7 mpg since the start. This is not what sticker promised... still waiting for that anticipated hybrid break in. I'm about 60% highway/40% city; highway drives about 80 mph.
ECO setting has been used
You should take a few fuel economy readings cruising at 70 MPH and see what you get. If you’re referring to lifetime average, I would expect that to be lower due to driving habits, short trips, idling, etc.

What I am seeing is if you have a heavy foot or in a lot of stop and go traffic, it burns the fuel: 18-19 MPG or worse. If you drive light footed (no/minimal boost) and not a lot of stop and go then 22-23 MPG is normal. And if you hyper mile it, feather the gas to pull away in electric and allow for the engine to shut off while driving and run on electric power (I've experienced this for stretches at 70 MPH on the highway when it is flat or slight downgrade) then 25-26 MPG (possibly greater) is achievable.

What I am seeing is if you have a heavy foot or in a lot of stop and go traffic, it burns the fuel: 18-19 MPG or worse. If you drive light footed (no/minimal boost) and not a lot of stop and go then 22-23 MPG is normal. And if you hyper mile it, feather the gas to pull away in electric and allow for the engine to shut off while driving and run on electric power (I've experienced this for stretches at 70 MPH on the highway when it is flat or slight downgrade) then 25-26 MPG (possibly greater) is achievable.
That correlates to my experience, but with short trips in city traffic it is a challenge to get close to 20 even with my light foot.

I have a 24 Tundra Hybrid 4x4 and I have averaged 20.8 MPG. Stock tires, 13k miles, 50/50 city highway with a bed topper (200 pounds) with a rack and cross arms. Also about 300 pounds of tools in the bed. I am surprised to see that LC real world MPG so low. .

Even after a reset, the computer has a funky way of calculating. Says I'm getting 18.5mpg but I just did a road trip, 5 hours / 290 miles / 13 gallons put in before I left (to full)... some quick math says I'm getting 22.3 mpg on that trip.

Even after a reset, the computer has a funky way of calculating. Says I'm getting 18.5mpg but I just did a road trip, 5 hours / 290 miles / 13 gallons put in before I left (to full)... some quick math says I'm getting 22.3 mpg on that trip.
These computers are pretty inaccurate estimates of actual economy. The way you did it is the only way to get real numbers.

Fill up tank before you leave but you have to fill up after your trip to record gallons used during your trip. Unless I misinterpreted your post.?

Once I finally found where the turbo boost and hybrid assist gauges were hidden on the 1958's driver display, I flipped back and forth between those and MPG crossing AZ with high winds. I noticed that with a headwind the engine was often into the boost and sitting there when I had cruise control on, which definitely contributed to lower-than-expected efficiency for straight highway miles at the speed limit. Didn't love that.

I'm aware many are coming from V8's and V6's with much more power. I'm not. I drove VW 4-cyl 5-spd TDI Diesels for 20 years of my working career ~110 mile R/T commute, before I stepped up and bought a Grand Cherokee Eco-Diesel in 2016. What I can say about the 4-cyl diesels, is that no matter how hard you pushed them (85-90MPH), the fuel economy rarely suffered. I have hundreds of spreadsheet logs from my weekly fuel purchases showing my fuel economy was routinely 44-46MPG at those speeds. A gasser 4-cyl, on the other hand, does not have the capability to continually deliver fuel economy at 80-90 MPH. Especially in such a large, heavy vehicle. In other words, I think 24MPG is attainable without a roof rack and keeping the speedometer under 65.

Back