Rampart Range Road

Colorado

đź“› Founding Member
Jun 24, 2024
Media
Lone Tree, Colorado
Vehicles
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser
Pictures of Colorado often make it look like Denver sits at the foot of the Continental Divide. In reality, the Continental Range begins about 50 miles west of here. The smaller mountains close to Denver are called the "Front Range," and that part of the Front Range between Denver and Colorado Springs is called the Rampart Range. There is a dirt road that goes along the crest of the Rampart Range and, as we hadn't seen it for a few decades, that's where the LC took us yesterday.

The road is paved for the first 100 feet or so. The other 38 miles is gravel.
SsP9120027.JPG

For the most part, the road is graded to the point you could drive a Cadillac over it. (It used to be much rougher and more fun.)
SsP9120028.JPG

We decided to get a look at Devil's Head before heading down to Woodland Park.
SsP9120034.JPG

Even the narrowest parts are nicely groomed.
SsP9120036.JPG

SP9120039.JPG

The aspen are starting to take on their fall colors.
SsP9120042.JPG
SsP9120049.JPG

There are few panoramic vistas to take in along Rampart and, unfortunately, the air wasn't crystal clear.
SsP9120054.JPG
SsP9120056.JPG
SsP9120057.JPG

We did find a shady spot to enjoy lunch.
SsP9120061.JPG

The only wildlife we saw was a gang of wild turkeys. It was difficult to get a clear shot as they blend into the undergrowth pretty well.
SsP9120063.JPG

In all, the ride was much tamer than I remembered. They've improved the road a lot (too much) since I last rode it on a dirt bike. But it was a beautiful day and a great way to get out of town and enjoy a change of scenery.

Great pictures!

I haven’t been down that road in 5 or 6 years; last time I was it was pretty washboarded. Devil’s Head is a great hike for visitors but it was quite the vibration destination. Nice to hear they graded the road.

One of my favorite drives in the other car is to go down to Woodland Park, back up 67 to Deckers - essentially driving around the Ramparts - then up to 285 and back down to our neck of the woods. If they ever pave the rest of 67 between Sedalia and Deckers it will be epic.

Last edited:
Great pictures!

I haven’t been down that road in 5 or 6 years; last time I was it was pretty washboarded. Devil’s Head is a great hike for visitors but it was quite the vibration destination. Nice to hear they graded the road.

One of my favorite drives in the other car is to go down to Woodland Park, back up 67 to Deckers - essentially driving around the Ramparts - then up to 285 and back down to our neck of the woods. If they ever pave the rest of 67 between Sedalia and Deckers it will be epic.
That's the route we took: Sedalia to Rampart; Rampart to Woodland Park; back on 67 through Deckers to Nighthawk; Nighthawk to Sprucewood; then back to Sedalia. It was a nice day to get out.

Back