Question about Digital Key and climate control in 2024 First Edition

VTLC250

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jun 17, 2024
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Good morning! I have a First Edition on order.

One thing I love about my Rivian R1S (and also about my wife's Q5 hybrid) is the ability to activate the climate control in the garage without noxious emissions... one click of the cell phone app allows me to access the full climate. This past winter, I was able to activate the ambient temp, heated seats, and heated steering wheel so it's ready to go in -24 degree weather; this summer, the cabin temps were recently as high as 123 degrees and I was able to cool it to 68 in no time.

Does the hybrid function of the LC allow for enough battery storage capacity to activate any aspect of the climate control without firing up the ICE?

Thanks!

I believe on a Hybid the engine will run till it reaches a certain temperature. There are certain parameters that must be met before engine will shut down.

Hello VTLC250, and welcome to the forum. I am not familar with the Q5, but the Rivian is a pure EV, whereas the LC is not. So, the Rivian utilizes a heat pump system to heat the vehicle, whereas the LC must use heat derived from the ICE. So, the LC cannot generate heat without the ICE. Now, since the LC use an electric HVAC compressor, yes, it has a limited ability to cool the vehicle without firing up the ICE. Hope this answers your question...

Hello VTLC250, and welcome to the forum. I am not familar with the Q5, but the Rivian is a pure EV, whereas the LC is not. So, the Rivian utilizes a heat pump system to heat the vehicle, whereas the LC must use heat derived from the ICE. So, the LC cannot generate heat without the ICE. Now, since the LC use an electric HVAC compressor, yes, it has a limited ability to cool the vehicle without firing up the ICE. Hope this answers your question...

It sure does... partially. I don't have the LC yet and can't find information online about its HVAC. If heat is strictly generated from the radiator coolant, then I understand that I won't have a warm interior while parked in the garage. But, I wonder what, if any, climate functions are able to be controlled through the phone app?

It sure does... partially. I don't have the LC yet and can't find information online about its HVAC. If heat is strictly generated from the radiator coolant, then I understand that I won't have a warm interior while parked in the garage. But, I wonder what, if any, climate functions are able to be controlled through the phone app?
Wow, I have no idea what can be controlled from one's phone, not having received our LC as yet. What is aggravating is how automakers are now charging subscription fees for such functionality.

IMG_6990.jpeg

IMG_6991.png

Last edited:
@PixelMagic - I think I'm dense... am I to understand that you can activate things like the defrost, but it necessites a start of the engine? I'm interpreting this language literally (when maybe it only relates to the temperature setting?): "when these settings are enabled, changes will take effect the next time you remote start your car."

Not sure on the new LC, but on my Taco, you can turn on set temp whatever you want to be on or off when you remote start your vehicle. ie.... your vehicle is outside in the winter and you want the windows defrosted and toasty inside the cabin, I set the parameters and remote start the engine, when I come outside 5 min later...... wal-la. I have no idea on the hybrid system.........

On the Taco, I didn't renew the subscription as it was by far cheaper to manually set the defroster, blower speed and temp, shut the vehicle down the night before. The next morning, remote start with the fob...... same result.

@PixelMagic - I think I'm dense... am I to understand that you can activate things like the defrost, but it necessites a start of the engine? I'm interpreting this language literally (when maybe it only relates to the temperature setting?): "when these settings are enabled, changes will take effect the next time you remote start your car."
Yes. Settings are activated when you remotely start your car in anticipation of shortly using the car.

And I heard that the LC doesn't shut off when you open the door while in remote start mode! currently my Taco will shut down if you open the door while in remote start mode.

And I heard that the LC doesn't shut off when you open the door while in remote start mode! currently my Taco will shut down if you open the door while in remote start mode.
Correct. The engine is on, but you have to depress the brake pedal and press start to drive it. I believe you need to have the key fob in the vehicle to actually drive it.

That would be nice... with a 4Runner, if you open any door, including the rear hatch the vehicle turns off.

I know on the Camery's, the fob does not have to be in the car to drive it, Maybe during the remote start and transitioning to driving. But once the vehicle is out of "remote start" and in a "drive" mode, the keys can by in a wife's purse and the husband drives away on another errand. When said husband arrives at the errand destination and turns off the car, he's stuck right there! He called and asked a big favor for me to come get him, take him to his wife's appt, retrieve the fob and take him back to the vehicle. As I'm a widower, it made me take precautions as to never be in a position of a misplaced fob as the spare would be at home with no way to retrieve it.

I plan on doing the same setup on the LC, if it ever arrives.

I use the my Toyota app on my iPhone and have my Tacoma on it. I have my land cruiser coming in the next 3 to 4 weeks. Does anyone know why there would be any problem adding this vehicle with its Vin to the app? Would it make it harder to connect when I take delivery?

Itโ€™s just kind of cool to see it show up in the app!

I use the my Toyota app on my iPhone and have my Tacoma on it. I have my land cruiser coming in the next 3 to 4 weeks. Does anyone know why there would be any problem adding this vehicle with its Vin to the app? Would it make it harder to connect when I take delivery?

Some have been successful, but I have not, I couldn't get past the QR code.

I added my allocated VIN to the app (alongside my Rav4, which I actually own in real life) and can see it in there. Nothing too exciting to see, but sorta fun!

Some have been successful, but I have not, I couldn't get past the QR code.
I was also unsuccessful at first with a server error message when trying to set it up. I contacted Toyota customer service and a rep helped me get it working about a week later.

I wanted to be able to use my phone as a key like I do with my Rivian. It works but nowhere near as functional as the Rivian. My LC doesnโ€™t immediately respond when I walk up. I have to wake my phone and then would work. Just easier to carry the key.

I know on the Camery's, the fob does not have to be in the car to drive it, Maybe during the remote start and transitioning to driving. But once the vehicle is out of "remote start" and in a "drive" mode, the keys can by in a wife's purse and the husband drives away on another errand. When said husband arrives at the errand destination and turns off the car, he's stuck right there! He called and asked a big favor for me to come get him, take him to his wife's appt, retrieve the fob and take him back to the vehicle. As I'm a widower, it made me take precautions as to never be in a position of a misplaced fob as the spare would be at home with no way to retrieve it.

I plan on doing the same setup on the LC, if it ever arrives.
I have trouble remembering to hang the remote key up when I get home. Trouble getting used to newer tech...

Back