PSA: Loose wingnuts in rear arches

cvx5832LC

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 18, 2024
Media
CA
Vehicles
LC
Cleaning the LC today and chanced upon loose (untightened) plastic wingnuts on both rear arches. These are the ones that hold the insulation in place. All nuts on both sides were not secure, although none were missing. I suspect the insulation taking a set, or not being tightened properly at the factory, which is not likely. I've also posted my option sheet. If this is a case of something that had to come off when my vehicle went through port-installed options, I can't see it.

Tip: If yours ends up being loose as well, don't forget the ones closer to the lip (x4) as they're hidden from view. No tools needed. "Finger-tight" was the only spec I used.

1730075281191.jpeg

1730075304090.jpeg

1730075340789.jpeg

1730075158835.png

Thanks for the info. Checked our FE and found the same condition - Hand tightened and will keep an eye on it.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out! If you find they loosen up again, I'd suggest putting a dab of RTV at the bottom of the stud (closest to the body) then tighten the plastic nut. That should keep the nut from rotating and easily overcome if you ever need to remove them later on.

Did you try to back one off to see if there is a retainer mechanism built into the nut/stud? It is possible that those nuts aren't designed to create clamping force on the fabric liner. They just need to be in place to keep the liner in place -- much like a push pin style retainer clip.

All mine were loose and one of them may be stripped because it just turns and turns.

Did you try to back one off to see if there is a retainer mechanism built into the nut/stud? It is possible that those nuts aren't designed to create clamping force on the fabric liner. They just need to be in place to keep the liner in place -- much like a push pin style retainer clip.
It's a plastic nut designed to be slipped on (more like ratchets on; you can kinda see the mechanism in the third pic), then tightened by hand or using the tool that pushed it in, but that didn't appear to happen. I do think it is a tightened fastener as there's no retainer, and they would have fallen off eventually as I spun one off with a flick of my finger.

Back