Premium Fuel or not?

In this video the presenter mentions they found a difference in performance using 87 octane and 91 octane in dyno testing.

Also claims the factory air box on the T24A-FTS is pretty restrictive. The Tacoma uses a slightly different airbox than the LC, the LC airbox is probably even more restrictive.

More interested in economy, not performance. Would be interested in those numbers.

More interested in economy, not performance. Would be interested in those numbers.

Any improvements in economy from less restrictive air inlets are usually so small as to be unmeasurable.

Probably the same for different fuel grades since most of us aren’t running around demanding full power to the point octane difference is going to make much more than a small percentage of difference.

I might still end up replacing the stock airbox and boost tubes, along with some tuning. I want more power, but I have no expectations that fuel economy will improve from those efforts.

Not sure what their offering will be, but tests show that less restrictive air filter options, such as K&N, allow markedly more particulates to pass through. As many of us will be using our LC's offroad in dusty conditions, best carefully consider this factor.

At this point I wish the moderators would just lock this and all other similar topics and say "RTFM"...
Of course, the alternative is, just stop following the threads one finds repetitive or irritating. They eventually fade away. I am still hopeful the issue will be addressed by the individual who posted regarding his personal interaction with Toyota engineering.

Agree with not censoring content. My only complaint is with redundancy. I think moderators could do a better job and have been remiss on these boards where it comes to pruning and unifying redundant threads. It detracts from the utility of the site and ease of finding relevant information when content is spread amongst 20 redundant threads instead of a unified one. Other boards do a much better job with this while also not censoring content.

They should probably get a pay raise to accomplish that, so other than sponsorships, I wonder who would fund that.

Lots of communities manage to find interested volunteers to manage that, hard to see why this one would be the exception.

Not sure what their offering will be, but tests show that less restrictive air filter options, such as K&N, allow markedly more particulates to pass through. As many of us will be using our LC's offroad in dusty conditions, best carefully consider this factor.

I have no plans to run anything with an oiled “filter”. There are plenty of manufacturers who offer dry media filters of OEM quality material in a cone shaped filter that increase the surface area to allow greater flow without sacrificing filtering ability.

What perplexes me is why anyone still uses the oiled filters at all? If you take two well made (from a surface area and flow characteristics) filters one oiled and one dry media; the oiled filter will only out flow the dry filter by maybe 5%. Not enough of an advantage to allow in more particulate for sure.

One time I had an issue with the fuel pump and had to get the entire fuel system replaced in a vehicle. This vehicle was a BMW and required premium gas. They pulled up the history of the last 10 or 15 times I fueled up my car, and the car sensed what kind of gas I put in it every time. Due to this, and them seeing that I use premium gas all the time, they deemed that the damage was not my fault. I don’t want to know what would happen if I required this $30,000 procedure and I wasn’t using premium gas. They probably could’ve used it as a reason to say I was miss using the vehicle or whatever. So for all your cheapskates out there, I’m one of you. I like to be as frugal as possible and not spend money on unnecessary things. But I will never put base gasoline in my land cruiser because if anything ever goes wrong? I don’t want them to use that as a reason, that it was somehow my fault.

Back