Premium Fuel or not?

I can see how you'd interpret it this way. But if you pay attention to this bit: "At minimum, the gasoline you use should meet the specifications of ASTM D4814 in the U.S.A..", one could reasonably conclude that there is no minimum octane requirement as that standard has no octane rating associated with it yet is clearly identified as a minimum standard. You've also demonstrated Toyota elected to print "Unleaded Gasoline Only", twice, when they could have written "Premium Unleaded Gasoline only."

The manual for German sedan I once had never introduced ambiguity like this. Maybe it's a Japanese to English translation issue?

You may be right, it may be the case that premium gas is required to avoid engine damage, but it's not laughable to question that given the info we have so far. Hopefully Toyota will give a clear answer.
It says premium only on the gas cap.

I've made a request for clarification directly to Toyota via their website. I'll let you know if I get any information from them.
Good luck with that. I’m sure there have been others that have made that request. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam for six months now and it’s still being discussed.

You see what the manual says, what is on the fuel door, what You Tubers say. You are going to have to make your own informed decision.

Now that one is less than clear, it says highway driving at the speed limit does not require any idle time but then high-speed driving does.
That probably means racetrack driving or high speed driving much above speed limit.

Both vehicles have the same drivetrain, same weight, basically same MPG, same HP/Torque numbers. So I would like a real explanation of why one would require different gas? I'd rather not spend an extra 3k in gas every 5 years due to some weird contradictory ambiguous manual.

Screen Shot 2024-08-31 at 1.27.28 PM.png

Both vehicles have the same drivetrain, same weight, basically same MPG, same HP/Torque numbers. So I would like a real explanation of why one would require different gas? I'd rather not spend an extra 3k in gas every 5 years due to some weird contradictory ambiguous manual.

View attachment 10154
In the introductory YouTube videos, published by Toyota, the Toyota guy (I forget his exact title) said that the 2024 LC’s burned 87 octane. But everyone here has settled on 91 octane or higher.

Miss Daisy has seen nothing but E0 (ethanol free), 90 octane on the first fill up, and 93 octane on every fill up thereafter.

View attachment 10154
You’re not gonna find an explanation here. Just a bunch of bickering.

View attachment 10154
Difference in cooling system maybe? Burning low octane fuel in a high compression engine generates more heat. If the cooling system is not designed to dissipate the extra heat, it can damage the engine.

If the vehicle states premium fuel then it’s premium fuel only. You do not want to fuel up your car with regular fuel and then hear that dreadful engine knock. That’s not good. I just went through engine knock my self with a brand new jeep wrangler. Engine crapped at 6600 miles.

Good day, with many people in different LC250 groups asking about the type of fuel to be used, I directly asked Toyota Canada the following question:

Toyota in its Landcruiser 2024 owner manual, pg 640, states the following: Fuel information: You must only use unleaded gasoline. Select premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine performance and fuel economy.

The owner’s manual of Toyota Tacoma (pg 584) and Grand Highlander 2024: Fuel type: unleaded gasoline, Octane Rating: 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. GH Platinum 2024: Fuel type: unleaded gasoline, Octane Rating: 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher.

So my question is why Toyota, for the same engine specifications on three different vehicles, shows a different information for their Fuel information? What type of fuel I should use on my Landcruiser 2024?

Toyota Canada’s answer:

Dear Mr. QcDcMp:

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Toyota Canada recommends using Unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 87 or higher. For improved performance, the use of gasoline with an Octane rating of 91 or higher is suggested.

Please refer to the vehicle's Owner's Manual for specifics on Octane Ratings.

Octane rating is a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than exploding in an uncontrolled manner. The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). With higher octane rating fuels, the likelihood of detonation (mixtures being ignited in the combustion chamber by heat, and not the spark plug) is greatly reduced. Detonation can lead to a poor performing engine, or worse, major engine damage. This is why in turbo or supercharged engines, where engine pressures/temperatures are higher, higher octane fuels are required. In a normally aspirated engine, higher octane fuels will help the engine perform better, since the mixture will "burn" in a more controlled/efficient manner (as noted above). Having said this, vehicles sold in areas where lower octane levels are more the norm (such as North America, 88, and 89 octane fuels), are designed to function on lower octane fuels, but would still benefit from the higher octane.

Should you have further questions, we kindly recommend that you discuss this directly with the Service Manager at your preferred Toyota dealership. Should the dealership require technical assistance, they may contact Toyota Canada directly.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Eva Doerksen
Customer Assistance Centre
Toyota Canada Inc.

View attachment 10154
In one of the videos posted here where a YouTuber named trd John interviews the Tacoma engineer Sheldon Brown he gives a round about answer as to why.

Good day, with many people in different LC250 groups asking about the type of fuel to be used, I directly asked Toyota Canada the following question:

Toyota in its Landcruiser 2024 owner manual, pg 640, states the following: Fuel information: You must only use unleaded gasoline. Select premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine performance and fuel economy.

The owner’s manual of Toyota Tacoma (pg 584) and Grand Highlander 2024: Fuel type: unleaded gasoline, Octane Rating: 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. GH Platinum 2024: Fuel type: unleaded gasoline, Octane Rating: 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher.

So my question is why Toyota, for the same engine specifications on three different vehicles, shows a different information for their Fuel information? What type of fuel I should use on my Landcruiser 2024?

Toyota Canada’s answer:

Dear Mr. QcDcMp:

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Toyota Canada recommends using Unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 87 or higher. For improved performance, the use of gasoline with an Octane rating of 91 or higher is suggested.

Please refer to the vehicle's Owner's Manual for specifics on Octane Ratings.

Octane rating is a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than exploding in an uncontrolled manner. The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). With higher octane rating fuels, the likelihood of detonation (mixtures being ignited in the combustion chamber by heat, and not the spark plug) is greatly reduced. Detonation can lead to a poor performing engine, or worse, major engine damage. This is why in turbo or supercharged engines, where engine pressures/temperatures are higher, higher octane fuels are required. In a normally aspirated engine, higher octane fuels will help the engine perform better, since the mixture will "burn" in a more controlled/efficient manner (as noted above). Having said this, vehicles sold in areas where lower octane levels are more the norm (such as North America, 88, and 89 octane fuels), are designed to function on lower octane fuels, but would still benefit from the higher octane.

Should you have further questions, we kindly recommend that you discuss this directly with the Service Manager at your preferred Toyota dealership. Should the dealership require technical assistance, they may contact Toyota Canada directly.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Eva Doerksen
Customer Assistance Centre
Toyota Canada Inc.
This is interesting and matches what my sales guy told me at delivery. That Toyota Canada only required 87 octane, which he noted as a difference from what he thought Toyota USA specified. I showed him inside the gas door and he sort of drifted away from that statement but I guess that is what they had been told at the dealership.

This is interesting and matches what my sales guy told me at delivery. That Toyota Canada only required 87 octane, which he noted as a difference from what he thought Toyota USA specified. I showed him inside the gas door and he sort of drifted away from that statement but I guess that is what they had been told at the dealership.
My sales guy told me the same thing, he said that none of the Toyota vehicles, with the exception of the Supra that has the BMW engine, requires Premium. The YouTube video jmqb1 is very interesting though. I have challenge back that customer rep as I am pretty sure I got the cassette from her.

I was helping my current SO with her purchase of her unicorn 2024 4runner, white, no sunroof, 2 wheel drive(4L V6)… I asked the salesman, and the finance guy (middle Fla) if she needed to use premium fuel.. they both, in unison, stuck their chest out, and boasted that NONE of Toyotas cars required premium. I directed them to the gas access door on the three or four Land Cruisers parked in front of their showroom, as well as what the owners manual stated, re fuel requirements. They were shocked.. litterely dumbfounded. Like a kid who learns exactly WHAT his/her parents did, to bring him/her into this world. It was priceless!!

Back