Power Train First Impressions

Midmarkwest

📛 Founding Member
Feb 14, 2024
Minnesota
Vehicles
4runner
I previously owned a 2005 4runner Sport Edition with a V8 and a 2015 5th Gen Limited 4runner (I like having full time and part time 4WD options for Minnesota winters).

The LC hybrid setup performs more like my old V8 than the 5th Gen V6. It doesn’t sound as cool, but the torquey power delivery is fantastic in all driving situations. I have the 1958 trim. Love everything about it. It’s a better driving experience in every aspect over my 5th Gen 4runner.

Heard a lot of negativity about the 1958 interior but like it a lot.

Thanks for the insight, especially as a long term Toyota driver.
Looking forward to my 1958 delivery in the next few weeks! Did you stick with the stock tires?
Yes, I’ll stick with the stock tires. It’s gonna be a daily driver for me with plenty of trips into state forests, but no intense off roading. I’ll also be towing a Casita travel trailer. Really looking forward to seeing how it performs as a tow vehicle when loaded with gear, kids and a dog.

Only adding running boards for my kids and roof rails for a rooftop cargo box (once accessories are available).

Sounds similar to me, I’ll be towing a Square drop trailer (manufactured in Minnesota). I will stick with the stock tires for now and see how they handle, will also be getting a set of winters for the Canadian and Midwest US winters.

I previously owned a 2005 4runner Sport Edition with a V8 and a 2015 5th Gen Limited 4runner (I like having full time and part time 4WD options for Minnesota winters).

The LC hybrid setup performs more like my old V8 than the 5th Gen V6. It doesn’t sound as cool, but the torquey power delivery is fantastic in all driving situations. I have the 1958 trim. Love everything about it. It’s a better driving experience in every aspect over my 5th Gen 4runner.

Heard a lot of negativity about the 1958 interior but like it a lot.
Really glad you like the power plant. I completely agree. It’s unfortunate that there are so many people with ZERO experience with the LC crucifying it online. But who goes on the internet to be positive these days :(? 1958’s are cool! Hope you enjoy it!

Really glad you like the power plant. I completely agree. It’s unfortunate that there are so many people with ZERO experience with the LC crucifying it online. But who goes on the internet to be positive these days :(? 1958’s are cool! Hope you enjoy it!
Honestly, have seen virtually zero bashing of the LC online. Possibly I only search out the positive?

Honestly, have seen virtually zero bashing of the LC online. Possibly I only search out the positive?
The YouTube comments make me wish I wasn’t into cars 😔. Wish I could say the same. Doesn’t change the way I feel though !

I really haven't seen the LC being crucified other than limited trim level customization, mainly Toyota's QC hold.

I really haven't seen the LC being crucified other than limited trim level customization, mainly Toyota's QC hold.
My opinion, the limited trim levels are a result of not wishing to impact the forthcoming 2025 4Runner. Conversely, the sibling of the LC, the GX550, has a myriad of trims, including the Overtrail and Overtrail+, specifically focused for off-roading. The Toyota marketing folks have a master plan, much to our displeasure.

My opinion, the limited trim levels are a result of not wishing to impact the forthcoming 2025 4Runner. Conversely, the sibling of the LC, the GX550, has a myriad of trims, including the Overtrail and Overtrail+, specifically focused for off-roading. The Toyota marketing folks have a master plan, much to our displeasure.
I agree and if the price point was lower (well lower in my way of thinking) I understand why the limited options. But for what we are paying, you would think if I wanted a sunroof delete (I do not care for sunroofs), it wouldn't be an issue and just for S&Gs I'd probably have already taken delivery.

I agree and if the price point was lower (well lower in my way of thinking) I understand why the limited options. But for what we are paying, you would think if I wanted a sunroof delete (I do not care for sunroofs), it wouldn't be an issue and just for S&Gs I'd probably have already taken delivery.
Sunroofs are a pet peeve with me. They are forced upon us. We have a super-sized/panoramic sunroof in our 2021 Highlander. It sees ZERO use, and can be subject to issues down the road. And of course they reduce headroom. A great video explaing why prices are escalating so fast, in addition to sunroofs.

That's kind of what the 1958 trim level is right? (assuming cloth seats are okay w you)

I actually prefer fewer trim levels, previous LC generations just had one trim, maybe two, right? You get into some brands and it is a total puzzle figuring out what the differences between trim levels are, like the 4Runner trim assortment is complicated enough but if you try to buy a F-150 there are like 20 trim levels.

I mean I’m happy to hear that. If you want links and comments let me know. Just 90% of every video ever made. This is just a TRDJon picture he posted not even a video. It’s not hard. But let’s get this thread back on track ❤️.

Attachments

• IMG_5860.png
    IMG_5860.png
    423.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5859.jpeg
    IMG_5859.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5858.jpeg
    IMG_5858.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
I mean I’m happy to hear that. If you want links and comments let me know. Just %90 of every video ever made. This is just a TRDJon picture he posted not even a video. It’s not hard. But let’s get this thread back on track ❤️.
The common denominator for the comments posted immediately above is it appears none are from owners, only skeptics.

Good point. Thanks Nuke you are helpful
Well, as of late I am a skeptic to a degree also. Toyota and their issues. Tundra engines, LC sunroofs, and it appears they are stopping production on the Grand Highlander due to an airbag issue. Just had our Highlander in for a recall, as it seems the front chin trim could fly off at an inopportune time. And, a pending recall, also on the Highlander, airbag controller problem.

This product stratification plan would be a lot more tolerable if Lexus dealers were more widespread. The nearest Lexus dealer to me is over 300 miles away. I prefer the GX550 to the Land Cruiser mechanically for the E-KDSS and V35A-FTS and 10 speed. I’m very hesitant to buy a vehicle that requires a 4.5-5 hour drive to get warranty work done on though.

I really don’t understand why Toyota dealerships in cities over 50,000 in rural areas can’t get a small Lexus franchise. South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana have no Lexus dealers at all.

Too bad Toyota won’t build an LC250 with the V35A-FTS/10 speed and E-KDSS, no sunroof, with JBL, and HUD. They can keep all other other shit from the Premium Package.

Back