Only getting 17mpg

It was stated earlier on this forum, that the vehicles are tested in a lab, with the vehicles on something like a Dyno, to come to the formation of the fuel economy numbers. I don’t know what the truth is.
Yes, they are tested in a lab on a dyno that simulates air resistance by increasing the resistance on the dyno roller.

EPA actually asks for several other tests, some of which would probably be very usefully if shared with the consumer. But I assume manufacturers only want to share the portion of the test they are legally required to.

SFTP-SC03: Test with AC on and lab temp at 95F.
SFTP US06: An aggressive highway test at 80 MPH, sometimes called "superhighway" test.
FTP 72: Test for stop and go traffic, sometimes called "supercity" test.

Link below shows the driving schedule and conditions of each test.

What is an LC LC?
That’s how we refer to a Land Cruiser that’s not a 1958 and not a First Edition.

Whereas “LC” could mean any Land Cruiser, “LC LC” is the Land Cruiser Land Cruiser edition, because for some reason Toyota decided not to name the trim level.

Websites are calling it “base” which I find stupid! It’s not the BASE, the 1958 is the BASE trim level… probably should have a better Toyota Executive name the trim levels better… but that’s just my opinion

LC = Land Cruiser
LC = Land Cruiser

and that concludes our intensive three week course
I guess I could posed the question differently….. I didn’t understand why this thread was calling it a Land Cruiser twice… I’ve been calling mine a Land Cruiser Premium. It has almost every a 1st edition does minus the round lights… which I’m not into but I see why others like them… a nod to the old LC’s.

Came across this video and thought it would be worth sharing. He is an engineer and I first saw him in another video with AMD (The Care Care Nut). In this video he uses the LC 250 as a backdrop and as an example in parts of the video.

I guess I could posed the question differently….. I didn’t understand why this thread was calling it a Land Cruiser twice… I’ve been calling mine a Land Cruiser Premium. It has almost every a 1st edition does minus the round lights… which I’m not into but I see why others like them… a nod to the old LC’s.
Sorry for the apparent sarcasm, but I can’t resist making simpsons references when given the chance.

I think a lot of us think that calling a trim level the same as the model name a little dumb, but then again, I like dumb things so I try to have fun with it.

I personally like calling mine
Land “Land Cruiser” Cruiser
or LC^2

(I have the non premium LC^2 trim, fyi)

+1800 miles, falken rubitrek 275/60/20. 80-90% city driving with 93/91 octane fuel. Im sitting at around 18mpg overall. Mostly normal driving mode, I have tried eco for a couple tanks and found little if any improvement at all.
Screenshot_20241021_105210_Fuelly App.jpg

My drive to work is only 6 miles which the LC does not like at all.
At 18 mpg overall it seems to be around the average on fuelly.
Screenshot_20241021_105447_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Came across this video and thought it would be worth sharing. He is an engineer and I first saw him in another video with AMD (The Care Care Nut). In this video he uses the LC 250 as a backdrop and as an example in parts of the video.

The sad reality is if you change tires, install a lift, lower tire pressure for better ride or traction, add cool accessories that impact air flow, travel at elevations way above sea level, drive faster than the speed limit or accelerate in a way that is fun, then you are not going to get optimum MPG as represented by the manufacturer. That is even more true for a vehicle with the shape of a Lego set. I guess we can blame physics rather than Toyota.

If it is any consolation, there is a forum for GX 550 users dedicated to real world gas mileage at the link below. Anecdotally, they seem to be getting about 5 MPG worse than us with their V6 twin turbo for equivalent horse power and torque.

In addition to the modest fuel economy and emissions improvements, we also get a power plant with more responsive low end torque, fewer moving parts, 600 pounds lighter gross vehicle weight and a 2400 watt inverter that can run everything from a table saw to a cappuccino machine.

Thus, I am not sure the real world MPG vs sticker claims are any worse than other brands/vehicles. If they are, then it is probably more a function of the go anywhere, do anything qualities we enjoy about the Land Cruiser and the many different ways we use it.

+1800 miles, falken rubitrek 275/60/20. 80-90% city driving with 93/91 octane fuel. Im sitting at around 18mpg overall. Mostly normal driving mode, I have tried eco for a couple tanks and found little if any improvement at all.View attachment 15382
My drive to work is only 6 miles which the LC does not like at all.
At 18 mpg overall it seems to be around the average on fuelly.
View attachment 15376
My FE continues average of 17.2.
4,000 miles.
Consistent low mpg regardless of driving style or mode. On short city trips its even lower.

Some trips 16 MPG, other trips 21 MPG
Overall 18.5 MPG
3400 miles
OEM size Falken Wildpeak AT4w and removed front air dams.
Daily commute 10 miles one way 600 ft elevation change
Driving most on normal, sometimes ECO or sport, but never slow. 😅

Feels like the 18/19 MPG is the "normal" MPG after many tanks.

I even tried K&N filter for a couple tanks and same MPG, maybe a bit less, and no noticeable performance gains. (My NA cars get a MPG or two plus a bit of ompf off the line)

Back