Oil and Filter Change, easy peasy.

Sorry if I missed this in any post previously. About to do an oil change at 1500 miles. What's the oil capacity? I read 0W-20 oil type and 8.5 Qtz. Is that right? Thanks for the help all!

Just did mine today at 1440km and noticed these rusty looking flakes when I poured out my old oil. Not sure where it came from, this the first time I’ve used this 5L jug for draining oil 🧐

EDIT
I just realized I used another small (well used) container to put the used filter in. There must have been some gunk on the bottom when I poured it out into the big jug pictured. Carry on and keep scrolling ⬇️

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0136.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0157.jpeg
    IMG_0157.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0162.jpeg
    IMG_0162.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
TL;DNR

I finally got around to changing the oil in MIss Daisy about four weeks ago, but have been kinda busy trying to complete my move out of Florida, to NC. There was 1290 miles on the factory oil, and it was barely visible on the dipstick.

Almost all of my stuff was still in Florida, so I bought a few things in NC to get it done. Oh well. Bought some plastic ramps at a local Auto Zone (my steel ones from Horrible Freight were still in Florida), a funky ‘one size fits all’ oil filter wrench at Lowe’s (pic below), since the fancy one that everyone on here uses still hadn’t arrived to NC. But it did arrive the very next day, even though they said it would be a week. I already had two oil filters from the Toyota dealer that I purchased Miss Daisy from, and two six packs of the appropriate Mobile 1 from Costco, though that will soon change to the Mobile 1 0W-20 formulated for hybrids, once the 5,000 mile oil change is done with what I have. Because of the oil spurting out like it was coming from a fire hydrant that has been reported elsewhere in this forum, I also bought an oil change pan that actually elevates the catch tray up closed to the engine (pic below).

The skid plate was very easy to get off. BUT, none of my electric tools or air tools were with me(which now, I am very thankful for). , so I borrowed the appropriate wrench from my GF. The first bolt to be removed was the front right side bolt (passenger side) and came out with significant difficulty. After loosening it with the wrench, I could not just spin it out with my fingers, like ever other machined bolt in my life. I had to keep the wrench on it the entire time to get it out. I have never had that happen in my entire life. Once I got it out, I under stood why. Pic below.

The elevated catch tray didn’t work as advertised. The oil still shot out and got all over the front right tire, and part of the new plastic ramp holding Miss Daisy up. No worries. I had my trusty Fumoto ready to go in. I will never again dread doing an oil change like I have for 52 years. Always hoping not to get burned, and knowing that it was going to get all over my hand, no matter what I did, and clean up a mess on the driveway afterwards. Even in the age of vinyl gloves, it was always a dreaded mess. No more. Just put the clear hose on the Fumoto nipple, let it down into the pan, and let the evil humors out. It is so high up, that even if there wasn’t a FE skid plate on Miss Daisy, it is safely tucked away. Now, I will actually look forward to changing the oil, and giggle a little every time I use the Fumoto.

I strained some of the oil through a Melitta coffee filter using a shop funnel and saw NO metal shavings. But it was going so slow, that I aborted that after a while.

I also have to buy a new skid plate bolt, and prolly find the right size Tap to chase the threads that somehow got messed up from the factory. This thing was virgin when I took it out, and the threads are clearly messed up..

Attachments

• IMG_6250.jpeg
    IMG_6250.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6252.jpeg
    IMG_6252.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6242.jpeg
    IMG_6242.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6243.jpeg
    IMG_6243.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Where/how do you self-oil-changers dispose of the used oil?
As stated above any big box parts store. Be aware most, if not all, require you to take your container with you after you have emptied it into their barrel. The milk jugs people just leave at their doors are considered hazardous waste and are a pian for them to dispose of properly.

I use a drain pan that stores the oil within it. I take the oil pan to the auto part store and dump my oil.

Home Despot makes a top for their 5 gallon buckets, that has a screw top built right in, which allows you to stockpile the oil so you have to make less trips to the disposal site. Mine is currently full.

Back