Oil and Filter Change, easy peasy.

I use a Milwaukee power ratchet and the skid plate is on and off in seconds. Use standard hand tools for the other things.

Thanks! This is what I'm looking for.

Why do this yourself, when the oil changes are covered by TOYOTA?
As mentioned the 10 and 20K are covered. Many times its easier for me to DIY instead of making an appointment during my work hours and taking time off. Also, I don't trust 10K intervals for a turbocharged engine. I don't do every oil change myself, just some of them.

Just did my first oil change at 1700kms (little over 1000 of your miles). First time I've ever changed oil with 0W-20 and it went everywhere due to the force it's coming out. Pure water! Now I know but I think I'm going to get the Fumoto for my next change. Definitely nipple version with the hose so I can route it right to my oil catch basin.

Just did my first oil change at 1700kms (little over 1000 of your miles). First time I've ever changed oil with 0W-20 and it went everywhere due to the force it's coming out. Pure water! Now I know but I think I'm going to get the Fumoto for my next change. Definitely nipple version with the hose so I can route it right to my oil catch basin.

Would it make a difference if the oil cap is on or off? Any other suggestions out there to minimize the mess?

Would it make a difference if the oil cap is on or off? Any other suggestions out there to minimize the mess?
That's a good question. I had mine on at the time I was draining. You'd think that'd be slower. Engine was warm but not super hot.

I use this to avoid the mess:

1000038843.jpg

I bought it a while ago to allow oil change from the top only for my BMW and Mercedes roadster. You insert a plastic hose through the dipstick tube to the bottom, pump it a few times to create vacuum and voila, most of the oil gets extracted painlessly and without mess. It has gradations for every quart and a handy spout to put it into the recycling drum at the parts store or back into the containers just vacated by the new oil.

In my LC it extracted 5.5qts of used oil leaving only about .5 behind then I removed the oil plug and let the last half quart drain without drama into a shallow open oil pan before moving on to the oil filter to finish the job.

Highly recommend it.

Back