Oil and Filter Change, easy peasy.

How difficult is it to get TPMS sensors programmed to the vehicle?

For example I go buy a set of steelies and slap a set of studded snow tires on or dedicated off road tires, and add TPMS sensors to them. Is it possible to have the truck pick those up instead of the originals when they’re in storage for the winter?

From my understanding the LC will recognize two sets of TPMS sensors and you can switch between them..... or they'll automatically pick them up. Not really sure. I'm mounting the second set in my wheels that came off my Taco. I'm going to put those on the LC for everyday and mount some KO2's on the orig LC wheels for not-so every day etc.....

I went with OEM sensors, they are proud of them tho'

OEM is probably the way to go though. How proud are we talking about here?
99 a pop, I've used after market before and the 7 year batteries only seem to last 3.

My 08 Taco's sensors went out last year and they'll stay out...... LOL still a good truck with 92K on it but.......

My plan it to install them myself to see if the truck will pick them up on it's own and if it doesn't dealer visit to get them registered.

My diagnostic computer has a very limited TPMS functions.

My plan it to install them myself to see if the truck will pick them up on it's own and if it doesn't dealer visit to get them registered.

My diagnostic computer has a very limited TPMS functions.
I believe Toyota Sensors will be automatically picked up. Third-party sensors have to be programmed I believe. There is the capability of keeping two sets and switching back-and-forth. Starting on page 556 and Manual , there is a whole extensive breakdown of how the system works, how to program it, how to change sets.

I believe Toyota Sensors will be automatically picked up. Third-party sensors have to be programmed I believe. There is the capability of keeping two sets and switching back-and-forth. Starting on page 556 and Manual , there is a whole extensive breakdown of how the system works, how to program it, how to change sets.
Yup, if that doesn't work, trip to the dealer, one of the reasons I went with OEM sensors.

Just did my first/break-in oil change and installed a Fumoto oil valve. I'm honestly not the most handy person or mechanically inclined but I have done oil changes on my old car and had most of the tools so I felt comfortable doing it myself.

Tools used:
  • Ramps
  • 3/8 in ratchet
  • 12mm socket for skitplate bolts
  • extension for the 3/8 in ratchet to get to 2 of the bolts on the skidplate
  • 14mm socket for drain pan plug
  • 1/2 in ratchet for oil filter wrench attachment
  • 64mm oil filter wrench I bought at walmart
  • 3/8 in drive torque wrench
  • 14mm crowfoot wrench attachment to torque the fumoto valve to 15 ft/lbs spec. I bought this at harbor freight.
  • Toyota 90915-YZZN1 oil filter I bought at walmart
  • Fumoto F103N valve I bought from the Fumoto website.
  • Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0W-20 I bought at costco

The procedure was standard and simple as some of you have documented. One observation I made was that since my LC was on ramps, thus slightly angled, oil from the filter housing spilled onto the back part of the skid plate (I didn't remove the back part, only opened the access panel to the drain pan). Not a big deal as I just removed it and cleaned it off. Next time I'll remove both parts of the skidplate before removing the filter to prevent this. This is for the standard skidplate, not the FE/upgraded version. Hopefully, I get less oil on my hands/garage floor on my next oil change now that the Fumoto valve is installed. Thanks for all the info already in this thread, it helped.
Just did first oil change at 1060 miles.

My notes.

Factory oil filter was tight (get a strap wrench or oil filter wrench.
0-20w oil is like water expect it flow out quickly
I removed both skid plates metal front rear plastic
New OEM oil filter o-ring is pre lubed. I still used a little oil.
Make sure the crush washer comes off the oil pan after you remove the main drain plug. Mine was stuck to the oil pan and had to pry off.
Would just remove both skid plates.. it is required for the oil filter.. removing the rear plastic skid gives better access and clean up.
I put only the front driver wheel on a ramp and left the rest on the ground for better drain.
I used ~5.8-6 quarts to refill.
Oil looked light brown / dark at 1050 miles. Glad I changed it. It wasn’t terrible but not new looking. No gas smell or noticeable metal.
Going to send a sample off to test and test at ~3000-4000 miles to compare.

Oil capacity is 5.9q or 5.6L when changing the filter.

Attachments

• IMG_8111.jpeg
    IMG_8111.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8110.jpeg
    IMG_8110.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8109.jpeg
    IMG_8109.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8113.png
    IMG_8113.png
    621.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8108.jpeg
    IMG_8108.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8107.jpeg
    IMG_8107.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 46
Just did first oil change at 1060 miles.

My notes.

Factory oil filter was tight (get a strap wrench or oil filter wrench.
0-20w oil is like water expect it flow out quickly
I removed both skid plates metal front rear plastic
New OEM oil filter o-ring is pre lubed. I still used a little oil.
Make sure the crush washer comes off the oil pan after you remove the main drain plug. Mine was stuck to the oil pan and had to pry off.
Would just remove both skid plates.. it is required for the oil filter.. removing the rear plastic skid gives better access and clean up.
I put only the front driver wheel on a ramp and left the rest on the ground for better drain.
I used ~5.8-6 quarts to refill.
Oil looked light brown / dark at 1050 miles. Glad I changed it. It wasn’t terrible but not new looking. No gas smell or noticeable metal.
Going to send a sample off to test and test at ~3000-4000 miles to compare.

Oil capacity is 5.9q or 5.6L when changing the filter.
Mine was very similar to your experience.

I plan on changing mine myself as well, but how does this affect the two oil changes that come with Toyota care or whatever their including plan is called.

I plan on changing mine myself as well, but how does this affect the two oil changes that come with Toyota care or whatever their including plan is called.
You can mix them with your own oil changes. For me personally I would rather just do it myself to know it is done right and keeping the same oil. I believe Toyota care is @ 10000 miles so you could do your own at 5k and have them do it at 10k. I would not wait until 10k for the first change. Get the manufacturing debris and break in crap out 500-1500 first change and 3-5k / 1year afterwards.

You can mix them with your own oil changes. For me personally I would rather just do it myself to know it is done right and keeping the same oil. I believe Toyota care is @ 10000 miles so you could do your own at 5k and have them do it at 10k. I would not wait until 10k for the first change. Get the manufacturing debris and break in crap out 500-1500 first change and 3-5k / 1year afterwards.

yeah, it's not like changing the oil is some crazy difficult job. Definitely feel better knowing I did it myself with the care that some random tech will never give the truck.

I'm only around 400 miles. Planning on changing around 1000.

yeah, it's not like changing the oil is some crazy difficult job. Definitely feel better knowing I did it myself with the care that some random tech will never give the truck.

I'm only around 400 miles. Planning on changing around 1000.
Everything needed is just common tools. But make sure to have a plan for the oil filter before you drain. Mine was extremely tight. I used a big strap wrench. But going to get the correct oil filter socket wrench for the future. Also I did not tighten the new one like the factory. But if you drain the oil and can’t get the filter off it makes things difficult.

I have a universal oil filter tool but since these new filters are so small it would not work.

Everything needed is just common tools. But make sure to have a plan for the oil filter before you drain. Mine was extremely tight. I used a big strap wrench. But going to get the correct oil filter socket wrench for the future. Also I did not tighten the new one like the factory. But if you drain the oil and can’t get the filter off it makes things difficult.

I have a universal oil filter tool but since these new filters are so small it would not work.
Thanks. Yeah, I need to find the correct tool to remove the filter.

The oil filter wrench/socket thing is the last part I'm waiting to arrive before I do the oil change.

I noticed the oil level from factory was a bit high than the max on the stick
anyone else noticed it ?

The oil filter wrench/socket thing is the last part I'm waiting to arrive before I do the oil change.

anyone else noticed it ?
Mine was right at the high mark, if not a little above from factory.

anyone else noticed it ?
Didn’t check close when I got it, but I bet it was a touch high. Post first oil change, I “think” I am reading a bit high on the stick. Probably due to trying to gauge that exact 0.9 quarts when I poured in the 6th bottle.

The oil is so clear after changing that I am having a helluva time figuring out what my oil level actually is on the stick. Very difficult to read the level for me…tried pulling straight up and tilting to read in sunlight, etc. Tried cold, hot, medium engine temp…no matter what I try, the stick is really tough to read where the level is. Just trusting I measured good enough when gauging 5.9 quarts.

How difficult is it to get TPMS sensors programmed to the vehicle?

For example I go buy a set of steelies and slap a set of studded snow tires on or dedicated off road tires, and add TPMS sensors to them. Is it possible to have the truck pick those up instead of the originals when they’re in storage for the winter?
My 10 year old jeep picks them simply up every time I swap winter and summer tires. I have always had separate sets on rims with TMPS for winter and summer season. I usually buy the TMPS that Tire rack recommends when I buy the rims (150 bucks or so). Even for the cars before that (VW, Toyota, BMW) and they always simply recognized the TMPS automatically after 5 min driving. I never even thought that I would have to register the TMPS to the car or such. I would hope the 2024 LC can do the same.

@Captain Trips: Wow, thanks for the info. Just saw in the manual that you have to register the TMPS for each wheel after each tire rotation. I'm quite sure sullivan tire or NTB don't do this for my car when I do a winter to summer wheel swap for 25 bucks. They usually don't even adjust the tire pressure, just swap the wheels and rotate them.

Last edited:
Back