New 2024 Land Cruiser...modification advice

bwzibell

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Aug 1, 2024
Colorado
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
Just got my new 2024 Land Cruiser, premium model. Before that I had a 2003 4-runner v8 with a 3 inch lift and fuel wheels and that thing was a beast as I only had to change out the timing belt, it was issue free!

My first impressions of this new Land Cruiser is it's got more acceleration power than I was thinking and way more comfortable than I was anticipating, but it is a little sloppy in handling around corners and is not as athletic as I expected for the money, the factory tires are lame.

So I am looking to get new tires, but not sure if I need new wheels for a more aggressive stance? Maybe that would help with handling somewhat?

I live in Colorado and spend 75% on city/hwy and 25% mountain driving. The most aggressive driving I do is on mountain ranch roads, sometimes tricky with mud and snow, but I am not looking to build an off-road specimen, just want to make some modifications to improve the aesthetic and function when I am in the mountains. So any advice would be helpful:

• Would upgrading the tires to 275/70/18 or 285/70/18 cause rubbing issues?
  • Any advice on tires that won't add 20 lbs of tire weight, I don't want to tax that 4 cylinder with tires that are too heavy?
  • If I put a 1 or 2 inch lift on it void it's warranty? I am sure some of you pros would know?

Thanks and looking forward to learning way more, there are some helpful threads on here!

• Any advice on tires that won't add 20 lbs of tire weight, I don't want to tax that 4 cylinder with tires that are too heavy?
  • If I put a 1 or 2 inch lift on it void it's warranty? I am sure some of you pros would know?

Hi and welcome! Definitely check out the numerous tire and wheel threads already established here. The main tire thread is nearly 30 pages!

To answer your questions:

1. It's been shown that up to 35" tires can fit with stock suspension with minimal rubbing if you remove some plastic bits.
2. Queue @Markarian421 as he's compiled a really nifty tire thread to track all sorts of information.
3. A small puck lift should not void any warranties imo. Unless the dealer can specifically trace any issues to the lift directly you should be fine. Many users here (myself included) are installing the Westcott Preload Collar Lift (1-2" lift). I should have a full set up with 17" wheels, 33" tires and a lift to show next week or so.

While I wait for my Land Cruiser I've compiled a spreadsheet of tire options linked in the signature area below. Edit to add: I started with mostly off-road 3 peak winter capable all terrain tires, although I've added a few lighter duty ones now. Since you're in Colorado you probably want the winter part. If you don't need the off-road part, or if you plan to run separate winter tires, there may be better options for you.

A Toyota engineer at an early vendor measuring session said these are designed to fit 33" (and maybe slightly larger) tires with no issue. Several people have reported 275/70R18 off-road tires fit just fine, including in the spare location. There are not many light (SL or C load) options in that size though.

285/70R18 fit without obvious rubbing when turning. Less clear if they (or what size) will start running into problems at full flex off-road. Also less clear if 285/70R18 will fit in the US spec spare location.

After thinking way too much about this and changing my mind at least twice a week, right now I'm thinking I will probably go with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac RT's in the stock 265/70R18 size just to keep the weight down. The Nokian Outpost nAT is a close second. If I were to ignore weight my default would be B.F. Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO3 in LT 275/70R18 size.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! Definitely check out the numerous tire and wheel threads already established here. The main tire thread is nearly 30 pages!

To answer your questions:

1. It's been shown that up to 35" tires can fit with stock suspension with minimal rubbing if you remove some plastic bits.
2. Queue @Markarian421 as he's compiled a really nifty tire thread to track all sorts of information.
3. A small puck lift should not void any warranties imo. Unless the dealer can specifically trace any issues to the lift directly you should be fine. Many users here (myself included) are installing the Westcott Preload Collar Lift (1-2" lift). I should have a full set up with 17" wheels, 33" tires and a lift to show next week or so.
Thank you, Iโ€™m going to look into that Westcott and check that out! Really helpful infoโ€ฆI got some work to do!

While I wait for my Land Cruiser I've compiled a spreadsheet of tire options linked in the signature area below. Edit to add: I started with mostly off-road 3 peak winter capable all terrain tires, although I've added a few lighter duty ones now. Since you're in Colorado you probably want the winter part. If you don't need the off-road part, or if you plan to run separate winter tires, there may be better options for you.

A Toyota engineer at an early vendor measuring session said these are designed to fit 33" (and maybe slightly larger) tires with no issue. Several people have reported 275/70R18 off-road tires fit just fine, including in the spare location. There are not many light (SL or C load) options in that size though.

285/70R18 fit without obvious rubbing when turning. Less clear if they (or what size) will start running into problems at full flex off-road. Also less clear if 285/70R18 will fit in the US spec spare location.

After thinking way too much about this and changing my mind at least twice a week, right now I'm thinking I will probably go with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac RT's in the stock 265/70R18 size just to keep the weight down. The Nokian Outpost nAT is a close second. If I were to ignore weight my default would be B.F. Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO3 in LT 275/70R18 size.

Thank you, I agree those KO3โ€™s would be heavier, but high quality and tread pattern โ€ฆ man, lots to think through on this - 275/70R18 that would be light enough in weight would be perfect if I can find them

Personally choosing the KO3's in 285/70/R17/C, with the Method 703's in +35 offset. Currently one of the few configurations thats shown to not have extreme poke while utilizing a C rated tire.

Personally choosing the KO3's in 285/70/R17/C, with the Method 703's in +35 offset. Currently one of the few configurations thats shown to not have extreme poke while utilizing a C rated tire.
Appreciate the insight, going to look into this, thanks for the offset as well

You need to consider more than just weight the rating most of tire sizes you are looking at have E rating 10 ply sidewalls . This translates to a much thicker sidewall more resistant to sidewall damage and can carry heavier loads . The negative is with this you also get heavier tires , harsher ride . This in comparison to the SL rated tires , most people canโ€™t put that much weight in a LC to need 10 ply .
Jmho

You need to consider more than just weight the rating most of tire sizes you are looking at have E rating 10 ply sidewalls . This translates to a much thicker sidewall more resistant to sidewall damage and can carry heavier loads . The negative is with this you also get heavier tires , harsher ride . This in comparison to the SL rated tires , most people canโ€™t put that much weight in a LC to need 10 ply .
Jmho
For this reason, I'm leaning towards the Nokian Outpost nAT 275/70/R18. Lighter weight, similar material to kevlar that reinforces the sidewalls and good rain, snow and all around traction performance. The tires have a history of lasting longer than the stated 60,000 mile estimate. They aren't quite as aggressive profile as the K03's but I think mileage will be better on the Nokians than the K03. It's a close toss up for me between these two tires but going to give the Nokian's the nod.

Slight drop in mpg 17.1 heavier tire , rides a little rougher not bad and slightly noisier than stock . Itโ€™s a trade off canโ€™t have both

Just got my new 2024 Land Cruiser, premium model. Before that I had a 2003 4-runner v8 with a 3 inch lift and fuel wheels and that thing was a beast as I only had to change out the timing belt, it was issue free!

My first impressions of this new Land Cruiser is it's got more acceleration power than I was thinking and way more comfortable than I was anticipating, but it is a little sloppy in handling around corners and is not as athletic as I expected for the money, the factory tires are lame.

So I am looking to get new tires, but not sure if I need new wheels for a more aggressive stance? Maybe that would help with handling somewhat?

I live in Colorado and spend 75% on city/hwy and 25% mountain driving. The most aggressive driving I do is on mountain ranch roads, sometimes tricky with mud and snow, but I am not looking to build an off-road specimen, just want to make some modifications to improve the aesthetic and function when I am in the mountains. So any advice would be helpful:

Thanks and looking forward to learning way more, there are some helpful threads on here!
To answer your first question, putting more aggressive tires would make the on road handling worse.

The in road handling is good , but off road handling is better ,
Lift kit can void some items on warranty
If you put larger tires they will all be heavier at least 20lbs .
You not driving a Porsche Cayenne, it is set up for off road purpose first and good comfort and handling at normal operation.
The GX is just the opposite

Im running KO3โ€™s. Yes theyre heavier but the LC can easily handle them. I think they feel better on road too compared to the factory tire. They arent much louder. I hear them a bit at highway speeds. I went with stock tire size. No upsizing.

I put 265/75/18 BFG KO3s on mine and love it.

Attachments

• hG7t46cLTUuh6qJMRZ+ehA.jpg
    hG7t46cLTUuh6qJMRZ+ehA.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 62
Im running KO3โ€™s. Yes theyre heavier but the LC can easily handle them. I think they feel better on road too compared to the factory tire. They arent much louder. I hear them a bit at highway speeds. I went with stock tire size. No upsizing.
Did the same and I find that the stiffer sidewalls make it handle better IMO.

For what itโ€™s worth I put on BFG KO3s in the original OEM size 265/70R18 124S RWL. I donโ€™t have many miles on them yet, but have found them to handle very well on tarmac and the difference in road noise is negligible (at least at this point).

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 56
Back