My experience in the Pacific Northwest; shopping in September 2024

Bluey

📛 Founding Member
Sep 20, 2024
Washington
It’s not easy finding a Land Cruiser in the Pacific Northwest in September 2024. A few dealerships in our area only have 1958s. Many dealers are charging above MSRP. I was on the search for the ever elusive middle trim Land Cruiser. Each time I would find one “in transit” it was already claimed with a deposit.

Toyota.com and Smartpath do not reflect actual availability. The first nine dealers I called showed LCs allegedly available; “in transit” or in “build phase”. After back and forth calls all were already sold. If it was available they wanted $2000-$5600 over MSRP. I thought there has to be some honest dealerships somewhere. I must keep searching. Finally I expanded my search radius into Oregon.

It was in Oregon that my Land Cruiser dream would come true. One call really stood out. It was the eleventh dealership I reached out to; Lums Toyota in Warrenton, Oregon. I had the pleasure of working with Caleb Hernandez. He was cordial and friendly. He listened and gave me honest answers. I felt like I was talking to an old friend.

He didn’t over promise, he just told me what he wanted to try to do. Like every other LC, this one also had a deposit. Though this deposit was in the name of the owner of the dealership. Caleb wanted to talk to the owner and find out. I offered to stop my search for 24 hours. I agreed that if he could get me this LC for MSRP, I would buy it.

I thought there was no way this was going to happen. I thought it was probably reserved for a family member or close friend of the owner. However Caleb had made a good impression on me. He was the first Salesperson I actually liked. I wanted to give him my business.

Less than 24 hours later he called me and had this Land Cruiser available. It is “in transit” and this one is mine. Everything I wanted; trim, options, and color. I gladly placed my deposit and felt a sigh of relief. Three weeks of searching finally came to fruition.

I highly recommend
Caleb Hernandez and Lums Toyota in Warrenton, Oregon. 503 861-1144

Last edited:
I paid MSRP in mid-August for a LC Premium from Heartland Toyota in Bremerton. Glad you were able to find one with no markups.

Congratulations! Glad to hear that you had such a great experience. You’ll love your new Land Cruiser.

I found one with markups but for the markups they added PPF and window tint and warranties. All other dealers I talked to except Puyallup, marysville which would sell for msrp, wanted markups for nothing. I originally last year put deposit in right when they announced the new landcruiser that day in 2023. But when it came in they wanted a 5k markup for nothing and I got my deposit back.

I purchased my LCLC from Titus-Will Toyota in Tacoma and had a very good experience. No above sticker mark up and they were able to remove port installed options before the LC arrived at the port.

Been having similar experience, everything coming in is presold (except 1958s). I'm on the list of two dealerships while I continue to look.
Because snow is coming, I am less inclined to fly over the Rockies and drive it home. Hoping the next week's allocations will give me good news.

Congrats on your find!!!

I am not a big fan of Facebook, but the groups are good for certain things. Finding a Toyota at MSRP or below is the purpose of this group. You can ask for local or out of state. Shipping cost are 500-1500 for closed carrier depending on distance or you can pick it up and drive it back. Also you can find the exact spec you are looking for generally.

The days of dealers charging over MSRP are going away quickly as long as the supply chain doesn't blow up again. The dealers have had the upper hand for the last 4 years and to be honest they are going to have to work again for sales. We have been keeping a running list of local dealers charging over MSRP and have decided not to use them for service unless necessary. It's a business and if people are not willing to do their own research and just finance the markup in the monthly payment, the dealers will continue the practice.

"nomarkuptoyota"

Back