LC standard tin can horn upgrade to OEM Toyota Premium.

peterpy

📛 Founding Member
Dec 25, 2023
Media
VA
Vehicles
Chevrolet Silverado
First upgrade for the LC FE. Why did Toyota give us such a cheap tin can horn? This 5-10 minute horn upgrade for 60-70 bucks is well worth the bother for a much better sound! One 12mm bolt holds each one in place. OEM Toyota Premium Horn shipped from Japan. What a difference!

Attachments

• IMG_8820.jpeg
    IMG_8820.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_8821.jpeg
    IMG_8821.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_8823.jpeg
    IMG_8823.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_8826.jpeg
    IMG_8826.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the 'meep meep'. Maybe I'm nostalgic for early Toyotas I had? I also most commonly use the horn for friendly alerts where a meep makes sense, like the light is green please go. Now if I could install an additional massive air horn for those occasions when someone is being an asshole, I might go for that :cool:

Last edited:
I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the 'meep meep'. Maybe I'm nostalgic for early Toyotas I had? I also most commonly use the horn for friendly alerts where a meep makes sense, like the light is green please go. Now if I could install an additional massive air horn for those occasions when someone is being an asshole, I might go for that :cool:
I would get tired of listening to your massive airhorn behind me 🤣🤣🤣

I just finished with the premium horn upgrade, literally 15 min job.

12mm rachet is all you need! The new style (new to me anyway) plastic push rivet fasteners are super easy, no more prying them up. simply push down on the center pin with your finger and they depress about a 1/6", releasing the expanding rivet and remove with your fingers. Easy peasy.

💯 Agree. When I drove Chevy trucks the horn always had an angry sound. I'm not mad at you, I just want you to know that the light has been green for 30 seconds now 🤣

First upgrade for the LC FE. Why did Toyota give us such a cheap tin can horn? This 5-10 minute horn upgrade for 60-70 bucks is well worth the bother for a much better sound! One 12mm bolt holds each one in place. OEM Toyota Premium Horn shipped from Japan. What a difference!
did you get it from Amazon? ebay? what was the model numbers... want to get the same thing

So do you pop the hood, remove plastic to access?

Yepper, there are 8 push rivets, just push the center with your finger and it will depress about a 1/6", then remove the rivet and the panel will come off. then remove the wire connector and the 12mm bolt. Reverse for the install, before installing the rivets, push the center pin back up through the body until it is sticking out of the top (it'll be a loose fit see below), then place all 8 rivets into their holes and press the center pin flush with the body of the rivet.

1722853661979.png

Last edited:
Your photos show 400 hertz. I am seeing 500 hertz models on eBay for a bit more money. Any ideas what the differences are? Part number appeared to be the same.

I may have just figured it out. The set should include both a 400 and a 500 hz horn. That is what gives more depth and breath to the sound. Sound correct?k

I ordered an OEM Toyota Premium Horn kit on EBay from a source in Japan that included the wire harness, which I didn't need to use. It has a slightly different part number: 08522-B1010 and was noted to fit the LC200 and Lexus LX570. But it was the same two horns as are pictured in the posts above, one 400Mhz, one 500Mhz and worked perfectly in the LC 250.

It was less than $50 when I purchased, but now is listed at $57. It took a few days to be shipped out, but then arrived 2 days after it was shipped. I asked to use FedEx shipping (as the Post Office does not deliver to my street address) and the seller agreed.

Not a difficult install at all - basically plug and play with one bolt to remove and replace.

Last edited:
I may have just figured it out. The set should include both a 400 and a 500 hz horn. That is what gives more depth and breath to the sound. Sound correct?k
For the Honda they call that high and low horns. I tried one by itself on the CR-V, the high one, it sounded weird as anything. So I put the other one on and now it sounds like a real horn. It fools people when you have to use it in that CR-V. They're expecting that meep meep but they jump when they hear that real horn.

Last edited:
Back