Land Cruisers are easily stolen.

If they cloned the key they wouldn’t have had to smash the window to gain access. This was likely an exploit in the OBD port.

Either way I’ll have my baby back tomorrow and will update you all on her condition.

Stay safe out there!
I’m so glad that you got your baby back..

Did they steal the Cool Box tray?

Well, I seem to have fallen down the rabbit hole…

Newest Toyotas have encrypted CAN buses so this video doesn’t apply to the LC. Comma AI has been trying to crack the security key without any luck. They need it to control the car for their ADAS (FSD like) system.

My guess is fob cloning via OBD2 port.

Newest Toyotas have encrypted CAN buses so this video doesn’t apply to the LC. Comma AI has been trying to crack the security key without any luck. They need it to control the car for their ADAS (FSD like) system.

My guess is fob cloning via OBD2 port.
Who is Comma Al? And what is the ADAS (FDS) system?

So, you are saying that we are ‘safe’ from these people?

Who is Comma Al? And what is the ADAS (FDS) system?

So, you are saying that we are ‘safe’ from these people?

RAV4s (non Primes) can be stolen easily with the CANbus injection hack. Newer Toyotas use encrypted signals so you can’t just hack into the headlights and send an “open doors” signal. Comma AI need to send steering values I believe to the car for their self driving system.

What is the reason for removing the speaker from an AirTag before hiding it in a vehicle? If the vehicle is stolen, does the owner using Find My automatically turn on the sound tone?

What is the reason for removing the speaker from an AirTag before hiding it in a vehicle? If the vehicle is stolen, does the owner using Find My automatically turn on the sound tone?
To defeat stalkers, Apple included an alert to ping iPhones when AirTags were 'tracking' them. The victim (or thieves in this case) can find the AirTag as it will 'ping' while the alert is active. Disabling the speaker makes this much harder. I use a watertight black case to hold/hide it that looks anything like an AirTag and put it in an inaccessible spot. Can they find it.. maybe, but it would take a looooong time to do it. Can they turn off their bluetooth, yes. Can they drive it in a metal building far away from other phones/wi-fi, yes.

Better: I had an old iphone hidden in our van with a $5/month sim card in it. Hardwired the charge cable to the 12v hot. Use 'Find My iPhone' and turned off all notifications/noises on the phone. Worked great, luckily never had to use it. I did use it once when we got lost on a hike and had to find our way back, and it worked great. Lot's of the YouTubes out there that show how this works.

No measure is 100%, LoJacks are defeatable. AirTags are a pretty effective and cheap solution to track a car that doesn't rely on the Toyota software and doesn't have a monthly fee.

The Best: EOD Guy comes up with a DIY for a hidden fuel pump kill switch. That, or a dummy OBD port DIY. Pretty please!

Last edited:
I’m so glad that you got your baby back..

Did they steal the Cool Box tray?
Hahahahahaha… I’m anxious to see. We found everything in it dumped on the side of the road around the corner. Well, everything except the cool box tray.

That is probably what the stole the car for.

Luckily, the shallow tray is almost ready to ship!

What is the reason for removing the speaker from an AirTag before hiding it in a vehicle? If the vehicle is stolen, does the owner using Find My automatically turn on the sound tone.

The airtag will eventually alert a non-owner iphone of its presence and make a noise. But thats not for many hours. Realistically when the airtag works for recovery it is not days later.

Also Android has a find airtag app.

For short term use a gps tracker on the roof in a magnetic box might be a solution. My concern is exactly OP situation being parked at a hotel. In fact the only two LC thefts I've seen reported were from hotels. So I'm willing to manage a battery in a GPS for short term use. There are monthly subscriptions now.

The GPS trackers that plug into the ODB port are obviously not anti-theft. But there are rechargeable devices.

GPS tracking and airtag tracking are great backup systems but require confrontation with the thieves. Keeping them from starting the truck would be Plan A. So, anything that keeps them from interacting with the OBD.

A simple thing that my Tesla had I always used was a PIN code to drive mainly had this to prevent car jacking even if I hand over my keys and run away. Doors unlock the same but to actually drive you need the PIN code. I don't know why car companies have not implement this. I Use my phone only for my Land Cruiser.
Our LC is my wife’s daily driver, and I drive it very little.

Would you care to elaborate on the last sentence of your post?

GPS tracking and airtag tracking are great backup systems but require confrontation with the thieves. Keeping them from starting the truck would be Plan A. So, anything that keeps them from interacting with the OBD.
Plan A is to motivate the thief to choose another vehicle.

Most people plan with trackers is for the police to confront the thief.

Simple ignition kill switches are inexpensive to have installed, but locations are limited. Battery kill switches disable the alarm as well as app features.

I’m really glad you’re getting your LC back. I was reading your thread about the door sills after reading this thread. Couldn’t help but think,”dang, it was just here getting new mods and now it’s gone.” So happy for you you’re getting it back. At least it got everyone here talking and learning about how to protect our LCs.

To defeat stalkers, Apple included an alert to ping iPhones when AirTags were 'tracking' them. The victim (or thieves in this case) can find the AirTag as it will 'ping' while the alert is active. Disabling the speaker makes this much harder. I use a watertight black case to hold/hide it that looks anything like an AirTag and put it in an inaccessible spot. Can they find it.. maybe, but it would take a looooong time to do it. Can they turn off their bluetooth, yes. Can they drive it in a metal building far away from other phones/wi-fi, yes.

Better: I had an old iphone hidden in our van with a $5/month sim card in it. Hardwired the charge cable to the 12v hot. Use 'Find My iPhone' and turned off all notifications/noises on the phone. Worked great, luckily never had to use it. I did use it once when we got lost on a hike and had to find our way back, and it worked great. Lot's of the YouTubes out there that show how this works.

No measure is 100%, LoJacks are defeatable. AirTags are a pretty effective and cheap solution to track a car that doesn't rely on the Toyota software and doesn't have a monthly fee.

The Best: EOD Guy comes up with a DIY for a hidden fuel pump kill switch. That, or a dummy OBD port DIY. Pretty please!
Dummy OBDii ports are selling on ebay.
Hidden fuel pump kill switch is easily done via the relay trigger wire.

Back