Roof Racks and MPG

cocruiser

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Sep 6, 2024
Colorado
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
Hello all. I have a LC edition with a little over 1,000 miles on. It's all stock with the stock roof rack. I am considering upgrading to a roof rack from Prinsu or Westcott Designs (I am also open to other suggestions), and I am curious about how it will affect my MPG. I am currently getting 22-27mpg depending on the type of driving I am doing. Has anybody changed their roof rack and noticed a real impact on MPG? Thanks!

I'm getting about 23 around town with our prototype 7/8 rack and the pictured items on top of it. Nitto Ridge Grapplers for the tires also being a bit more aggressive tread.

DSC_0066.jpg

Yโ€™all must have the secret sauce. I havenโ€™t touched anything north of 20 MPG. Stock tires. 2000 miles. LC edition.

Funny thing: I have about 900 miles on my LC and have been getting 20 mpg. I replaced the standard FE roof rack with the Sherpa full roof rack and immediately saw the mileage change to 22+ mpg. So, there you go, change to a full roof rack and increase your mileage by 10%! Proof!

Ok, I have no idea why the mileage changed, but it did truthfully change immediately after changing the roof rack. Others have mentioned mileage increases at round 1k miles for some reason so maybe that occurred. Or it's just my clean living.

Theres lots of secret sauce around this forum. 23 mpg around town?? LOL
To elaborate, I have a 15 mile commute every day, its a mix of 55 mph highway and traffic. I'm averaging right around 22.7 over 3,000 miles. I dont know what other people are doing with their drives that they aren't getting that.

To elaborate, I have a 15 mile commute every day, its a mix of 55 mph highway and traffic. I'm averaging right around 22.7 over 3,000 miles. I dont know what other people are doing with their drives that they aren't getting that.
I do 16 miles commute daily, mostly freeway at 65 mph in eco mode, no roof rack and im lucky to see 21 mpg. And I hyper-mile in the in town part. Sorry for sarcasm but 23 mpg in town is obviously not reality, but I see you clarified your scenario

Ok, I have no idea why the mileage changed, but it did truthfully change immediately after changing the roof rack. Others have mentioned mileage increases at round 1k miles for some reason so maybe that occurred. Or it's just my clean living.
Anecdotally speaking, it could be that the Land Cruiser has a programmed 'break-in' mode that kicks off around 1000 miles on the odometer. Several have noted such a possibility, and I know from my experience that somewhere around 950 miles my LCP started using the hybrid motor differently (i.e. more often). I'm still nowhere near 20mpg average (high 17s), though have seen >20 on several legs now.

I guess you did say "around" town, and not "in" town. ๐Ÿ˜‚

The secret to ultra low MPG is to have lots of short drives in town.

Back