Is this really worth $6,000?

rD[g)>yaxJh7+tp$

📛 Founding Member
Jun 25, 2024
Milky Way
So I'm debating between 1958 vs LC trims. So I pulled out my pocket protector and created this list of items included with the LC trim over the 1958 trim. I pulled the information from Toyota.

• Power open/close rear door liftgate
  • 18-in. matte-gray alloy wheels
  • Rigid Industries® LED color-selectable fog lights
  • Rectangular LED headlights
  • Illuminated entry
  • Roof rails
  • Power tilt/telescopic steering wheel with TOYOTA badge
  • All-weather floor liners
  • SofTex®-trimmed * seats; 8-way power-adjustable front driver's seat with lumbar support; 6-way manual-adjustable passenger seat
  • Heated and ventilated front seats
  • 12.3-in. digital gauge cluster with selectable gauge display screens and fuel economy, Driver Assist, vehicle/trip information, and warning messages
  • Multi-Terrain Monitor (MTM) with selectable front, side or rear views
  • 12.3-in. Toyota Audio Multimedia touchscreen with 10-speaker audio system, wireless Android Auto™ * & Apple CarPlay® * compatibility, SiriusXM® * 3-month trial subscription
  • Stabilizer Disconnect Mechanism (SDM)
  • Multi-Terrain Select (MTS) with Auto, Dirt, Sand, Mud, Rock and Deep Snow
  • 265/70R18
Other than the SDM, there's nothing special, in my opinion, to justify $6,000 increase.

In comparison to the $6000 Sasquatch Package on the Ford Bronco, its capable and a great value..

• 17" beadlock-capable wheels
  • 35" tires
  • locking front and rear axles
  • 4.7 final drive ratio
  • high-clearance suspension 11.4"
  • BILSTEIN position-sensitive shock absorbers
  • high-clearance fender flares

Just trying to understand Toyota decisions. Value your thoughts.

Sounds like you’re upset that Land Cruiser trim isn’t an off-road upgrade package like the Sasquatch. Apples and oranges. Is Toyota giving you $6,000 worth of equipment for that price? Sure. If you were to price all the items you listed separately, it would easily add up to more than $6,000.

Are they giving you things that you yourself value? Sounds like no, and I understand. Fortunately, there’s a 1958 trim! That means you don’t have to pay for things you don’t need or want.

Even all of the other stuff removed, the offroad features like SDM, the 360 cameras, and to a lesser extent the MTS would make it worth it to me. Add in all of the other stuff like bigger screens, power seats, AC seats (incredible on hot wheeling days), etc and it's a VERY easy decision.

So I'm debating between 1958 vs LC trims. So I pulled out my pocket protector and created this list of items included with the LC trim over the 1958 trim. I pulled the information from Toyota.

• Illuminated entry
  • Roof rails
  • SofTex®-trimmed * seats; 8-way power-adjustable front driver's seat with lumbar support; 6-way manual-adjustable passenger seat
  • 12.3-in. digital gauge cluster with selectable gauge display screens and fuel economy, Driver Assist, vehicle/trip information, and warning messages
  • 12.3-in. Toyota Audio Multimedia touchscreen with 10-speaker audio system, wireless Android Auto™ * & Apple CarPlay® * compatibility, SiriusXM® * 3-month trial subscription
  • 265/70R18
Other than the SDM, there's nothing special, in my opinion, to justify $6,000 increase.

In comparison to the $6000 Sasquatch Package on the Ford Bronco, its capable and a great value..

• 35" tires
  • 4.7 final drive ratio

Let P equal percent of time you plan to be driving off road in gravel rocks mud between tree branches etc real LC stuff.
Then:
P > 30%, get 1958
30% > P > 5% probably still get 1958
5% > P > 1% , get LC LC or maybe still 1958.
P <= 1% get LC premium or FE if you can find one.

Worth it to me, but like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. Each person has to judge for themselves. Just as a little price check, a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon disconnecting sway bar...just the sway bar part purchased separately, and not including all the other stuff like the electronic controls, costs nearly $3,500 retail.

One other difference to add to your list: painted front bumper.

I appreciate that we have an option like the LC² option. It's optioned perfectly for my preferences with literally everything I want and nothing I don't. The challenge now is finding one without a bunch of port options added to it.....

Here's my take after 500 miles on my new LC58. FWIW, I came from a Jeep GC Overland Eco-Diesel with 140,000 miles. I loved it dearly, but too many things were going on it and required extensive shop time for parts (up to 5 weeks in some cases). I really wanted another Overland, but there's simply too many issues with Jeep. After a journey through Daimler -> Cerberus Capital -> Fiat -> Stellantis, Too many owners have squeezed out too much value while jacking up prices, leaving a cheapened and weakened product line.
So on with the 58 ----> I will gladly pay the extra $6K for those options and move to the Land Cruiser trim. The 58 is sparse and basic. But even at the higher trim levels, there is still:
  • A complete lack of interior storage space - Not even a sunglass pocket
  • Annoying offset higher rear cargo deck from the lithium battery storage
  • Very difficult to place anything on the roof rack due to the height.
  • Still a PITA to wash the roof due to the height.
That said, I do love the outward ruggedness and (fingers-crossed) massive Toyota durability.

Although I have had a 50-year history of buying lightly used vehicles and driving them to usually 150-170K miles, I broke the mold with this 58, buying new and will likely only keep this several years and ether pickup a full loaded version next or move to the newest 4-runner. I am not an off-roader, but do a lot of longer driving with bikes, kayaks, etc..., so I appreciate the luxuries more than the capabilities.

I am 4 weeks in with a 1958. The only things I really miss from the LC trim are the 12.3-inch gauge cluster and touch screen, the extra 4 speakers, and the better tires. Not worth $6k to me, especially since I prefer the round headlights. Originally the softex was a selling point too but I am digging the cloth seats so far.

I'm gobsmacked that the LC trim doesn't include memory seats and a power passenger seat -- even the cheapo Hyundai Tucson I rented last week at the airport included these, they shouldn't require a "premium" package.

• Illuminated entry
  • Roof rails
  • 265/70R18

• 35" tires
  • 4.7 final drive ratio

Obviously your choice but I decided on the LC trim. Worth it to me. Finishes are nicer and I added 20 inch wheels and premium package. I plan to own 10-12 years so another 10k is worth it me but you have to discern if it is to you.

I'm going with the LC + Premium package because I'm doing a lot less offroading now that I have a newborn. This is going to be a comfortable dad-mobile for me that I can still take camping with my friends on our monthly trip, and I can still tow my project cars. I've been spoiled by some of the luxury features in my Tundra, so now I won't get a car without it (cooled seats are a requirement for Texas summers).

I love my Tundra, but it doesn't have rear AC vents that can cool a rear facing car seat, so every time I have to take him somewhere in my car, he is fussing and comes out of it a sweaty mess.

I went through the same process and decided on LC Trim (non-premium) for:

• Color options - i really wanted the two tone blue or yellow color
  • SDM, MTM, MTS - do i need it? Probably not, but I like the gadgetry
  • Ventilated seats - I actually like cloth, but i'm pretty excited for ventilated seats in summer
  • Included value items: roof rack side rails (+cross bar option), running boards to help my kids get in, floor mats

And really it was the color that was the biggest factor. If I'm going to have this for 15+ years, I really want to love the look of it. I am pretty frugal, so I could not reason my way into Premium or above, the value just wasn't there for me.

I've had my 1958 for a few weeks and still no regrets. I was thrilled when Toyota announced that they were introducing this truck in a basic/poverty spec trim. It's like they had a focus group of one (me) and went with fabric (but still good) seats, no sunroof, and little luxury (I had a Lexus GX, so this was actually a welcome change). I'm happy that I was able to get my LC at msrp with almost zero PIO or dealer add-ons (I do plan to upgrade tires and get a roof rack and sliders, but I get to choose those things, not Toyota or the dealership). All that being said, I really do wish the Swaybar disconnect was offered on the 1958.

Interesting how value is relative.
For me the 1958 is unacceptable with that plastic doors and small screens at the price point.
LC LC it's a nice sweet spot, but another $4600 for the premium is a no brainer with the upgrades it brings without the FE price tag and a bunch of bolt-ons (rack, rock rails, skid plate) that I can easily add later as needed.

And the port options was easy to remove with my dealer.
Mine was originally spec'd with the roof rack, but wasn't feeling like paying $1400 (at least not yet) to probably never use it.
I asked for it to be removed and 15 minutes later he texted me sayin was done and sent the updated build sheet. And at MSRP.

Last edited:
It depends on your situation. I’m going with lc trim mostly for the MTS. My situation is probably different from most others on the forum. I’m in deep snow a lot, MTS, and a shovel, really helped me in my 4Runners.

Interesting how value is relative.
For me the 1958 is unacceptable with that plastic doors and small screens at the price point.
LC LC it's a nice sweet spot, but another $4600 for the premium is a no brainer with the upgrades it brings without the FE price tag and a bunch of bolt-ons (rack, rock rails, skid plate) that i can add easily be added later as needed.

And the port options was easy to remove with my dealer.
Mine was originally spec'd with the roof rack, but wasn't feeling like paying $1400 (at least not yet) to probably never use it.
I asked for it to be removed and 15 minutes later he texted me sayin was done and sent the updated build sheet. And at MSRP.
Yeah if someone told me that they had a 1958 today at 10k under MSRP, i'd probably still wait for the LC with premium. I've spent 90k+ on vehicles before, I'm absolutely going to make sure whatever i'm buying has every single feature I want.

I think that the LC trim is the best value, FE is the worst value by far, but for me personally even the LC contains stuff that I don't want or need so I prefer the 1958.

There will off course be others that place more value on the luxury items and feel different than I do. I'm okay with that. But everytime I hear someone wanting power running boards, 3rd row seats or great gas mileage I think they should maybe head over to the Highlander aisle.

I think that the LC trim is the best value, FE is the worst value by far, but for me personally even the LC contains stuff that I don't want or need so I prefer the 1958.

There will off course be others that place more value on the luxury items and feel different than I do. I'm okay with that. But everytime I hear someone wanting power running boards, 3rd row seats or great gas mileage I think they should maybe head over to the Highlander aisle.
It's not even like the LC trim is just the "luxury" trim. It has more tech, plush, AND is a better offroader.

I'll agree the power running boards thing is weird though. I can't imagine needing those for a stock height vehicle.

Back