HUD Alignment

AndrewTK

📛 Founding Member
Aug 17, 2024
Media
Oklahoma City, OK
Vehicles
2024 LC250
I picked up an LC Premium package 2 weeks ago, I wasnt really paying attention to the HUD during the test drive but over the course of the past 2 weeks I have noticed that it looks fuzzy. I have an appointment at the dealer next week to get it checked out, I took a pic and it appears that there is ghosting on the image that is displayed on the windshield. Im not sure what additional tools the dealer has to align the image, I did some research and it seems like Toyota owners that have had this issue on other models wound up getting windshields replaced. Curious if anyone else has seen a similar issue on theirs?
IMG_4926.jpeg

I thought I’d remembered reading that you could play with alignment from the menus.

I thought I’d remembered reading that you could play with alignment from the menus.
Yep, i have adjusted both the rotation and the vertical positioning and there isn’t a position I’ve found yet that clears it up. Interestingly i discovered if i lean way to the right the HUD is perfectly clear right before it drops out of view, not sure what to make of that but hopefully the dealer has more tools to calibrate it.

Might try (I don't know if it'll work or not) placing a piece of colored paper if front of the HUD to see if it's projecting and where it's at, if it is.

Update - took it to the dealer today and they spent the day looking at it. They compared to another LC250 on the lot and saw the same display issue in that one and they said there are no service bulletins about the issue either at the moment. When I went to pick it up I asked to see if there was a different model on the lot with a HUD so we could see if that one looked right, they had a Tundra that had a HUD and it was worse than mine 😑. Their recommendation was to open a case with Toyota, it certainly seems like they are having a hard time getting a HUD into a car that displays clearly…

Mine has the same issue, just haven’t brought it into dealer. Was hoping they could align it to the left darn

This was the Tundra HUD at the dealer for reference, Toyota seems to be struggling with these.

Attachments

• IMG_4965.jpeg
    IMG_4965.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 75
This is windshield related, not a defective HUD unit. If you read up on other Toyota forums it can be hit and miss with other models as well. This is something to pay attention to when replacing cracked windshields as the replacement can cause the double image if it’s not the correct type of glass. I’m surprised Toyota hasn’t fixed this as it’s been a known issue for a while. It would be interesting to find out who sources the windshields for the Land Cruiser and if it’s the same at Hino and Tahara. For people with double images, does your vin include an R5 or RK?

Something else that would be helpful for the forum and possibly finding a resolution: For users with both clear HUD displays and those with double images, take a picture of the manufacturer of the windshield, probably located in the lower right corner by the drivers side. Let’s compare to see if they are different.

Last edited:
some people on the GX 550 forums report seeing the double image as well. It’s related to the double pane of glass. Some manufacturers install HUD specific windshields with a coating on the inside of the glass which is polarized to only reflect back one of the panes of glass. Sounds like at least some of the LC and GX550 glass does not have this coating. Maybe it’s all of them and some people just sit at an angle that makes this worse?

Hello, guys.
Every time I start the vehicle I can see another hud type for 1 second. After that it changes for a usual one. The picture is attached. Sorry for the quality - not easy to catch that moment and focus.
What is that and how to enable this type of display?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240902_074644_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240902_074644_Gallery.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 59
Hello, guys.
Every time I start the vehicle I can see another hud type for 1 second. After that it changes for a usual one. The picture is attached. Sorry for the quality - not easy to catch that moment and focus.
What is that and how to enable this type of display?
That displays the tachometer above the speed, so far the only way I have found to get it back is to turn off a bunch of driver assistance stuff (adaptive cruise, land departure assistance, maybe some others).

That displays the tachometer above the speed, so far the only way I have found to get it back is to turn off a bunch of driver assistance stuff (adaptive cruise, land departure assistance, maybe some others).
Tried to turn all assistants off - still not coming out...
So there's only a tachometer added? And all other information is still there?

Here’s a link to a YouTube video where this guy turns off certain features to get the tachometer or the hybrid system to come up on the HUD of a Lexus. Try turning off the features that he’s talking about and maybe you’ll see it.

Tried to turn all assistants off - still not coming out...
So there's only a tachometer added? And all other information is still there?
On mine I need to set cruise to standard (not adaptive), turn lane departure off on the steering wheel, and turn off LDA in the menu on gauge cluster. See pics of my HUD before and after (also highlights the ghosting I am seeing):

Attachments

• IMG_4973.jpeg
    IMG_4973.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4974.jpeg
    IMG_4974.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 48
You can

Reactions: MJE
Worked. Thanks. Nothing interesting..)

Attachments

• 20240902_105845.jpg
    20240902_105845.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 47
Back