How are you Closing your Hood?

Completely agree on BMW's poor reliability. I don't buy BMW's any longer.

Porsche 911 with the Flat 6 Boxer engine is absolutely bulletproof. They had an IMS / bearing issue in 2005-2006 on the 997 with the 3.4 (one of which I owned), which was corrected.

My Porsche 911's have been the most reliable vehicles I have owned. Hands down. I have never had anything close to a large issue.

The only issue I have had on my 991 is a PSE Exhaust hanger where the weld snapped. Porsche took care of it under warranty. Nothing else.

You will spend a small fortune on routine maintenance, e.g. tires, brakes, oil changes, interval services, etc. However, that is to be expected.
Nothing even remotely close to the expenses of owning a Ferrari.
I don’t know why people assume Porsche reliability is low. Maybe there’s a thought that sports cars are unreliable in general, and there was the IMS issue that was a localized, specific design flaw. Otherwise they are fairly simple, well built vehicles. Perhaps less simple than they once were.

I also moved on from BMWs after three. Most of them look silly these days anyway.

I wouldn’t call them unreliable, costly yes but not unreliable. All manufacturers have issues especially today. With a ton of tech in these vehicles issues are bound to happen. It’s how the manufacturer takes care of the customer afterwards that matters.

I know this is a hood closing thread that I hijacked and turned it into a Porsche 911 discussion. My apologies to the OP.

I will say, Porsche handled the IMS issue very eloquently and stood behind their product. We had 911 owners in our Porsche Club - Midwest Region who were way out of factory warranty and Porsche helped significantly with the IMS replacement and/or paid for the entire replacement.
That just solidified my love of Porsche since I was a kid and will be a Porsche 911 owner for life. Great company.

I don’t know why people assume Porsche reliability is low. Maybe there’s a thought that sports cars are unreliable in general, and there was the IMS issue that was a localized, specific design flaw. Otherwise they are fairly simple, well built vehicles. Perhaps less simple than they once were.

I also moved on from BMWs after three. Most of them look silly these days anyway.

Because Porsche makes cars other than the 911.

They sell more SUV’s now than sports cars, tell me you would willingly own a Panamera, Cayenne, or Macan out of warranty. I wouldn’t.

As for 911’s being bulletproof, I’m sure they’re nice cars but most owners never put a lot of miles on them.

1727557003893.png

Not saying that is the only or the definitive ranking. But if you look at this kind of thing you might be surprised to see how near the top Porsche usually shows up.

I know this is a hood closing thread that I hijacked and turned it into a Porsche 911 discussion. My apologies to the OP.

I will say, Porsche handled the IMS issue very eloquently and stood behind their product. We had 911 owners in our Porsche Club - Midwest Region who were way out of factory warranty and Porsche helped significantly with the IMS replacement and/or paid for the entire replacement.
That just solidified my love of Porsche since I was a kid and will be a Porsche 911 owner for life. Great company.

OP here. I've had several Porsches including a 73 914, 2014 Boxster, 2016 Cayman GTS and of course a 911 (991.1) and took a tour at the Porsche factory in Stuttgart. These are some of the best cars built in the world. Never had any issues with them and freaking fun to drive.

Yes, surprised with the comment of a Porsche with reliability.

Back