How are you Closing your Hood?

Completely agree on BMW's poor reliability. I don't buy BMW's any longer.

Porsche 911 with the Flat 6 Boxer engine is absolutely bulletproof. They had an IMS / bearing issue in 2005-2006 on the 997 with the 3.4 (one of which I owned), which was corrected.

My Porsche 911's have been the most reliable vehicles I have owned. Hands down. I have never had anything close to a large issue.

The only issue I have had on my 991 is a PSE Exhaust hanger where the weld snapped. Porsche took care of it under warranty. Nothing else.

You will spend a small fortune on routine maintenance, e.g. tires, brakes, oil changes, interval services, etc. However, that is to be expected.
Nothing even remotely close to the expenses of owning a Ferrari.
I don’t know why people assume Porsche reliability is low. Maybe there’s a thought that sports cars are unreliable in general, and there was the IMS issue that was a localized, specific design flaw. Otherwise they are fairly simple, well built vehicles. Perhaps less simple than they once were.

I also moved on from BMWs after three. Most of them look silly these days anyway.

I wouldn’t call them unreliable, costly yes but not unreliable. All manufacturers have issues especially today. With a ton of tech in these vehicles issues are bound to happen. It’s how the manufacturer takes care of the customer afterwards that matters.

I know this is a hood closing thread that I hijacked and turned it into a Porsche 911 discussion. My apologies to the OP.

I will say, Porsche handled the IMS issue very eloquently and stood behind their product. We had 911 owners in our Porsche Club - Midwest Region who were way out of factory warranty and Porsche helped significantly with the IMS replacement and/or paid for the entire replacement.
That just solidified my love of Porsche since I was a kid and will be a Porsche 911 owner for life. Great company.

Back