Hearing a rattle noise at low gear acceleration.

Also experiencing the same rattle. Mossy Toyota in SD reports it's how it is designed. Dealership opened a case with Toyota Engineering to confirm. It's extremely loud on my vehicle and I can hear it with windows closed when accelerating (faintly but def there). Sound begins at 13/14mph. Persists through 3rd or 4th gear. I'm trying to get more precise with parameters of the noise. I really hate it!

There were some cases I read about on other models where the driveshaft bolts/nuts were loose. There is a specific line in the scheduled maintenance manual to check the drive shaft and grease it at 15K.......... might want to slide under there and give the shafts a twist, you'll be able to tell if something isn't tight.

Last edited:
Sounds like D4S to me. If you listen to the video I posted on page 1 of the thread, it sounds the same as that but faster (because engine speed increases), and stops when coming off the gas.

Plus if every LC makes that noise, it's probably normal...?

here is what mine sounds like. Dunno if this is "normal" or not. Is this what you are hearing? youtube - 2024 LC rattle noise
mine has the rattle just like this youtube example. the noise is really loud just after the engine has been warm for about five minutes between 1500 and 2000 rpm- it does sound like a loose heat shield or exhaust reltated. I really love this LC but this noise is not something I can live with I can hear mine rattle with the windows up and its defiantly not "normal" or "acceptable".

mine has the rattle just like this youtube example. the noise is really loud just after the engine has been warm for about five minutes between 1500 and 2000 rpm- it does sound like a loose heat shield or exhaust reltated. I really love this LC but this noise is not something I can live with I can hear mine rattle with the windows up and its defiantly not "normal" or "acceptable".
Let us know what you find out..

Got the same rattle. Just started today during the first 100+ mile drive. There were zero rattles for first 650 miles around town and some freeway. I think it may be heat related or just took time to make noise or something came lose. Going to keep checking for where it is coming from. I can hear it with all windows up and it sounds like it's coming from around the transmission. With windows up it almost sounds like something lose in the center console or deep in the dash. Will make a recording. If anyone finds it please update this thread... It's not normal.

I saw a youtube video and they heard the same thing. There was heat shield by the front of the transmission that was making noise, but they didn't say if that was the fix.

I haven't taken mine to the dealer yet. I have the upgraded port installed skid plates and checked to make sure all the bolts are tight. The rattle is very prominent right after the motor has been warm for about five minutes and under light/moderate acceleration mostly between 15oo and 2ooo rpm and then the rattle becomes less noticeable. More aggressive acceleration helps hide the noise. The rattle is most prominent while driving and less so when parked or in neutral. I noticed mine was rattling right after I brought it home and I parked next to a tall brick building and opened the hood to try and find where the rattle was coming from- it really feels like its in the exhaust system to me. If anyone gets any answers or solutions from their dealer please post. I only have 800 miles on mine.

I have noticed that when the engine is running on hybrid power there is no rattle. Once the turbo kicks in, the rattle starts. I think whoever said that it has to do with the transmission coupler is right. It may be something we all have to live with, but would love to know what dealers are saying. I'll be scheduling my maintenance soon so I'll definitely bring it up then.

I haven't taken mine to the dealer yet. I have the upgraded port installed skid plates and checked to make sure all the bolts are tight. The rattle is very prominent right after the motor has been warm for about five minutes and under light/moderate acceleration mostly between 15oo and 2ooo rpm and then the rattle becomes less noticeable. More aggressive acceleration helps hide the noise. The rattle is most prominent while driving and less so when parked or in neutral. I noticed mine was rattling right after I brought it home and I parked next to a tall brick building and opened the hood to try and find where the rattle was coming from- it really feels like its in the exhaust system to me. If anyone gets any answers or solutions from their dealer please post. I only have 800 miles on mine.
Very similar experience. It seems to be intermittent for me.

I haven’t heard that particular rattle. It is a noisy engine though, it reminds me of turbo diesels I have had in the past.

Back