First Impressions/Road Trip

After picking up my Heritage Blue Land Cruiser last Wednesday, we’ve really been enjoying! It’s very smooth at shifting between gears and really packs a punch with minimal turbo delay. 85% of the first 1000 miles were all on the highway averaging 80mph.

For the positives:
  • The adaptive cruise worked very well pretty much the whole way and even in areas where the lines were almost nonexistent, way better than my 22 Tundra for sure.
  • Wind noise was barley noticeable since we had the JBL speakers bumping, regardless I feel like any car going more than 45mph will have wind noise especially with square mirrors and a roof rack.
  • MPG is only getting better. Started averaging only 15 or so and after 500 miles it’s now averaging 18.5mpg. I’m assuming it’ll keep going up.
For the negatives:
  • I understand the need for all these safety systems Toyota has come up with and some of them I don’t mind keeping them on, but, it should be much easier to be able to turn them all off if I feel like it. The driver inattention feature is probably the most stupidest thing ever in my opinion. You couldn’t look away for more than 2 seconds without it blaring an alert. Anyways I found a way to turn it off. The only other one that I haven’t been able to figure out is the alert for when I want to merge into traffic and it beeps when I creep in from moving cars.
  • Idk if there’s a fix for the vibration in the mirrors and I might have to take it into the dealer. It’s not extreme, but, significant enough that it brought me back to high school when I installed after market tow mirrors on my tundra.
  • A/C won’t turn off if you have cool box on.

Took me a day or two to figure that out.
Other than that really fun/cool car to drive.
Can’t wait to take it off road for the first time and really test drive it. Looking forward to hearing from everyone’s experience so far.
Did you figure out your side mirror vibration. I just noticed this on my drivers side only.

Rock soli and steady on our little road trip to Hope, AK and back. No issues at all and quite an enjoyable vehicle to drive. On several occasions I found myself unknowingly doing well over the posted. Vehicle was very steady even in the “highish” winds we get along Turagain Arm. I'd say going to Hope, we h we’re going into a semi-headwind of about 15-30mph and coming back the opposite and it really didn't register through the wheel or in the vehicle being pushed. The only way I could tell it was blowing good was from seeing a touristy type struggle in it while walking around in the pull-outs, and the willows swaying too-fro along the road.

Attachments

• IMG_8576.JPG
    IMG_8576.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Rock solid, steady driver on our little road trip to Hope, AK and back. No issues at all and quite an enjoyable vehicle to drive overall. On several occasions I found myself unknowingly doing well over the posted. Very steady even in the high winds along the arm we usually get. I'd say going there was into a 1/4 headwind of about 15-30mph and coming back the opposite and it really didn't register through the wheel or in the vehicle being pushed. The only why I could tell it was blowing that much was watching tourists struggle in it walking around in the pull-outs.
Sure is beautiful up there!

So for those of you who are lucky to have one right now- is the drivers seat area fairly tight? Like if you are tall does the seat go back pretty far to accommodate? Is it fairly tight in width also ? Trying to figure out how “comfortable “ this would be for a 12 plus hour drive - also has anyone stated when the wind noise really starts becoming noticeable (MPH)?

There was a guy 6'2" who did the Toyota demo days, he stated he had no issues in the front, plenty of head room.

There was a guy 6'2" who did the Toyota demo days, he stated he had no issues in the front, plenty of head room.
I did see that video about head room, couldn’t actually find any info on leg room ect . I watched one with a couple of taller / bigger build guys and they looked totally jammed in it. So I was curious if this is a thing.

There were a couple of really big dudes on the demo rides and I don't recall them mentioning anything. Hopefully you'll fit with room to spare! I'm not nearly that tall and pretty fit, so no issues here.

There were a couple of really big dudes on the demo rides and I don't recall them mentioning anything. Hopefully you'll fit with room to spare! I'm not nearly that tall and pretty fit, so no issues here.
Oh yes.. I’ll fit at 5’3 female - but my brother said he was in GX 550 (basically same frame) and he is taller and said he thought they felt way too narrow and tight (he’s coming from new Tundra and Sequoia) so just trying to gage it with real time owners - Thanks for the feedback !

Head room and leg room should be fine width maybe tight if your a big feller .lol! It much narrower than my 3 rd gen tundra

Oh yes.. I’ll fit at 5’3 female - but my brother said he was in GX 550 (basically same frame) and he is taller and said he thought they felt way too narrow and tight (he’s coming from new Tundra and Sequoia) so just trying to gage it with real time owners - Thanks for the feedback !
They are much narrower than a Tundra, but honestly prob have more headroom.

So for those of you who are lucky to have one right now- is the drivers seat area fairly tight? Like if you are tall does the seat go back pretty far to accommodate? Is it fairly tight in width also ? Trying to figure out how “comfortable “ this would be for a 12 plus hour drive - also has anyone stated when the wind noise really starts becoming noticeable (MPH)?
I have found that everything I need within an easy reach as a driver, is so. But then also, I’m 5’9”160lbs, have the seat at its highest setting and still have ~5” headroom sitting straight up. From the driver’s seat, I can’t reach the front windshield until just below the sunshade. (And the visibility outward is fantastic with the tall and wide windows.)
The seat fits me quite well; it’s firm and supportive and the fabric is “nice home furniture” quality. As I’m driving, I can fairly easily rest my elbows on either the window ledge or the center armrest. And most, if not all the controls from turn indicator, wipers, etc. are silky precision in operation. The plastic door card is rather egregious, but that doesn’t ruin an otherwise excellent interior.
Other superlatives; the drivetrain, the (again) visibility, suspension’s overall composure at freeway speeds and on rather twisty two-lane, and others I’m sure. No real cons so far for me at now 230 miles driven. There is some turbo lag that is felt more by the “rush” when the turbo gets on boost.

Does anyone know if you can adjust the projection height of the hud unit ?
I have to raise the seat up higher than I like to make it easy readable

Got mid and setting icon on toyota app confused it is on steering wheel not display screen

I have found that everything I need within an easy reach as a driver, is so. But then also, I’m 5’9”160lbs, have the seat at its highest setting and still have ~5” headroom sitting straight up. From the driver’s seat, I can’t reach the front windshield until just below the sunshade. (And the visibility outward is fantastic with the tall and wide windows.)
The seat fits me quite well; it’s firm and supportive and the fabric is “nice home furniture” quality. As I’m driving, I can fairly easily rest my elbows on either the window ledge or the center armrest. And most, if not all the controls from turn indicator, wipers, etc. are silky precision in operation. The plastic door card is rather egregious, but that doesn’t ruin an otherwise excellent interior.
Other superlatives; the drivetrain, the (again) visibility, suspension’s overall composure at freeway speeds and on rather twisty two-lane, and others I’m sure. No real cons so far for me at now 230 miles driven. There is some turbo lag that is felt more by the “rush” when the turbo gets on boost.
Thank you for your driving impression- It’s so hard to wait . I can’t wait to drive one. I’m sure the lag is something everyone will get use to if your wanting to stay in Toyota brand and I am.. good to know seats are comfortable- my 2019 you could drive 13 hours and have no issues with comfort. So I was hoping that this one would be close to That comfort - I live thru all of you talking about your drives !!

Got mid and setting icon on toyota app confused it is on steering wheel not display screen
The dealer set up my toyota app and profile .
I can’t get the digital key to download . It give me code , but every time I put code it say internal server error

Back