๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Feb 5, 2024
Media
Alabama
Air Compressor Mod: Pic A/C - Viair 485C
A/C1 - Yellow dots are factory bolts/holes
A/C2 - Mounting plate, used some stand-offs under the bolts to make it level
A/C3 - Compressor mounted
A/C4 - Switch is from "CH4X4" (cube size)
A/C5 - Air tank mounted, it's tight but it fits
A/C6 - Chuck, pressure switch installed. I use a small tank, not for air storage volume but to take advantage of an air pressure switch. That way the compressor doesn't run non-stop. I also use a "pressure relief valve" in order to not burst the tank.
A/C 7 - Passenger side Pwr Distro box, corner cover removed showing the main feed and starter cable lugs. At the top of the pic are the ribs that I removed in order to put the extension in.
A/C 8 - Ribs removed
A/C 9 - Paper template of the new buss bar extension
A/C 10 - Stainless Buss Bar extension, 1st bends
A/C 11 - Stainless Buss Bar extension, Finial crimp on to 6 gage wire
A/C 12 - Stainless Buss Bar extension, mounted
A/C 13 - Stainless Buss Bar extension, with OEM cover back in place. You can see the red 6 gage wire along the left side of the PDC, it's routed to the area in front of the air cleaner box
A/C 14 - Circuit Breaker and Aux Buss Bar mount
Under dash 1 - Yellow dots are bolts/screw, Red dots are tabs.
Under dash 2 - Door weather stripping must be pulled away 1st (Yellow dots) then the side panel can be pulled off (yellow dots are approx where the plastic clips are, the Blue dot is a plastic hook that must be inserted 1st when you reassemble.
Under dash 3 - Pull straight out on the switch panel for removal. I spliced into the illumination wire (green wire coming out of the rheostat and actually spliced in where there was room).

Pushed the switch and the air compressor works like it's supposed to! I used a fuse tap in an empty ACCY slot to power the Air Compressor switch (which in turn energizes the relay).

Attachments

• Air Compressor.jpg
    Air Compressor.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 323
  • Air Compressor 1.JPG
    Air Compressor 1.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 270
  • Air Compressor 2.JPG
    Air Compressor 2.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Air Compressor 3.JPG
    Air Compressor 3.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 307
  • Air Compressor 4.JPG
    Air Compressor 4.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Air Compressor 5.JPG
    Air Compressor 5.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Air Compressor 6.JPG
    Air Compressor 6.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Air Compressor 7.JPG
    Air Compressor 7.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Air Compressor 8.JPG
    Air Compressor 8.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Air Compressor 9.JPG
    Air Compressor 9.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Air Compressor 10.JPG
    Air Compressor 10.JPG
    567.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Air Compressor 11.JPG
    Air Compressor 11.JPG
    514.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Air Compressor 12.JPG
    Air Compressor 12.JPG
    355.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Air Compressor 13.JPG
    Air Compressor 13.JPG
    407.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Air Compressor 14.JPG
    Air Compressor 14.JPG
    493.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Air Comp Wiring Dia.jpg
    Air Comp Wiring Dia.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Under dash 1.JPG
    Under dash 1.JPG
    438.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Under dash 2.JPG
    Under dash 2.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Under Dash 3.jpg
    Under Dash 3.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Interior Trim panel removal.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Lighted Door Sills Mod: Took about 15 minutes, Yellow dot is the wiring plug (passenger side is in the same location) a hook tool is the best tool to unlatch the blanking plug. The Blue christmas tree fastener stayed in when the OEM sills were removed, you will need to remove it before you install the lighted sill (new ones are already mounted in the new sill).

Center Cap Mod: Bought some Center Caps took them apart, painted them with "Ford Dark Shadow Gray" touch up paint.

Relay Box Mod: As always you need extra protected circuits to run Winches, lights, air compressor etc....

Relay 1 - I have used this relay box on several different vehicles and have been very happy with it. I have de-pinned (removed all the normally closed (blue) wires) and re-wired the #1 (40amp) relay ground to have it's own ground vs the built in ground buss.
Relay 2 - Mount made out of 1/16" alum
Relay 3 - Mount installed making sure not to touch the ABS lines
Relay 4 - Relay box installed
Relay 5 - Routing of the Relay box power supply main wire to the 12v Buss bar (installed in front of the air filter box).
Relay 6 - The yellow wire will power a relay that will power a ASSY buss bar (buss bar will be in the cabin). I will hook the yellow wire to one of the unused "key on" fuse blanks.

There is a removable plug to the right of the brake booster almost to the cowl, approx 1/2" in diameter....... it's easily removable and will allow 8, 16 gage wires to pass from the engine bay to the cabin. Harbor Freight gromet kit has the exact grommet to protect the wires......

Horn Mod: I couldn't like the "meep meep" horns, The Toyota premium (08522-60010) sound much louder and better!

Rear Hatch Light Mod: I was in the back and the curtesy lights in the rear hatch would not go off. Removed the rear hatch trim piece and installed a switch in the power side of the existing curtesy light wiring. I super imposed a rough outline of the existing and new wire runs.

Lug Wrench (Metric), not really a Mod but it's hands down the best and most compact lug wrench I've ever owned!

Attachments

• Door Sill 1.JPG
    Door Sill 1.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 214
  • Door Sill 2.JPG
    Door Sill 2.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Door Sill 3.JPG
    Door Sill 3.JPG
    431.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Center Cap 1.jpg
    Center Cap 1.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Center Cap 2.jpg
    Center Cap 2.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Relay Box.jpg
    Relay Box.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Relay Box 1.JPG
    Relay Box 1.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Relay Box 2.JPG
    Relay Box 2.JPG
    304.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Relay Box 3.JPG
    Relay Box 3.JPG
    346.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Relay Box 4.JPG
    Relay Box 4.JPG
    385 KB · Views: 131
  • Relay Box 5.jpg
    Relay Box 5.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Relay Box 6.jpg
    Relay Box 6.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Horns.jpg
    Horns.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Rear Hatch 1.jpg
    Rear Hatch 1.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Rear Hatch 2.jpeg
    Rear Hatch 2.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Rear Hatch 3.JPG
    Rear Hatch 3.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Rear Hatch 4.JPG
    Rear Hatch 4.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Rear Hatch 5.jpg
    Rear Hatch 5.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Relay Box Wiring.jpg
    Relay Box Wiring.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Lug Wrench3.jpg
    Lug Wrench3.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Magnetic Unlocking Mod:

I use a magnetic sensor to unlock the driver's door with any metal object. Basically the sensor produces a Neg pulse when a metal object passes over it, the range is only about 1/4". I keep a spare fob (in sleep mode and in a faraday pouch) hidden in the interior, so I'll never be stranded due to lost keys.

It's a three wire hook up.
1 - (Brown) 12v always hot, easy (see picture below)
2 - (Blue) Ground
3 - (Black) Output to the trigger wire on the driver's door. Had to take half the truck apart to gain access to the proper wire, it was a royal PITA!

Radar Det Mount Mod:
This was quite the adventure, several variations and settled on this one.
The switch is a Redline 360C switch taken apart, switch and LED wires extended and mounted in the OEM blanking plug. Switch is a motorcycle after market mini-horn button colored with a sharpie, I don't like the color so I'll be painting it in the future. (edit) I found some 8mm black mini switches and replaced it with one of those.

The holder is a cell phone mount. The post is fabricated from parts of the cell phone holder and a 1/4 x 20stainless screw rethreaded on one end to M6 to allow the magnet to be screwed on. The adhesive disk is stuck to the dash, the adhesive disk was a bust, soon as the sun heated it up, it quit sticking. The solution was to remove the speaker grill (pulls straight up) grind down the ribs on the bottom side and epoxy a metal plate (black item on the L/H side) to the underside of the speaker grill. Radar mount 4 pic is the magnet (65 lbs) holding the Radar Det and mount upside down. It'll hold well for everyday driving (about 5lbs of holding force) but not off-roading. They sell a stronger magnetic base (120 lbs) that may hold better.

The power and ground wires are ran under the dash area to the OEM switch panel area (that's where all my add on wires are ran) , up the L/H side to the Instrument trim bezel. I pulled out the bezel enough to run the wires around it to the center speaker area of the dash and just let it exit there. Snapped the bezel back in and made for a nice tidy wiring for the radar det.

Radio Knob Mod: part# 90010-23059
I did the RAV4 radio knob swap on my Taco and Liked it. I did the RAV4 swap on the LC and like it as much. No tools are needed, just pull the OEM knob off, remove the spacer/beauty stand off from the RAV4 knob, push the RAV4 knob onto the radio shaft.

Radio Knob1 - RAV4 Knob with the insert removed from the backside.
Radio Knob2 - RAV4 on the left, LC OEM on the right
Radio Knob3 - RAV4 knob installed on the LC

Rear Bumper Covers:

Remove the top bumper cover (it pops straight up, no tools required) you can look into the small slots (where the top cover snapped into) and see the white keepers. A long skinny screwdriver is just right to depress the white tab and push it to the side (see picture below). Getting them out wasn't a big deal.

To re-install them was challenging, I used a long set of forceps for the top ones except the inner most one on the Pass side required a hole drilled. After the hole was installed.....lol It was easy as pie.

12V outlet Mod:
I wanted a 12v outlet in the rear that was easily accessible. I fabricated a simple mount from a piece of angle iron, bolted it to the Jack cradle. Jack trim cover closes completely without any interference. I added a very small voltage meter, that's momentarily turned on by pressing the switch. I also added a battery tender pig tail in the rear to provide an easy power source, ease to hook up my jumper box (I don't need the starting power of the jumper box, just the 12volts to get the LC's computers fired up so the Hybrid battery can take over and start/charge the vehicle) As always, I protect my wiring with a resettable circuit breaker. I went with a 30amp as I don't anticipate running anything with a higher amp load.

Attachments

• Magnetic Proximity Switch.jpg
    Magnetic Proximity Switch.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Fuse Taps 2.jpg
    Fuse Taps 2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Fuse Taps 3.jpg
    Fuse Taps 3.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Radar 2.JPG
    Radar 2.JPG
    502.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Mag mount.jpg
    Mag mount.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Speaker Grill.JPG
    Speaker Grill.JPG
    351.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Radar Mount 4.JPG
    Radar Mount 4.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Radio Knob1.JPG
    Radio Knob1.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Radio Knob2.JPG
    Radio Knob2.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Radio Knob3.JPG
    Radio Knob3.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Bumper Cover 2.JPG
    Bumper Cover 2.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 82
  • Bumper cover 3.JPG
    Bumper cover 3.JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Bumper Cover.JPG
    Bumper Cover.JPG
    518.7 KB · Views: 91
  • CB4.JPG
    CB4.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 14
  • CB1.JPG
    CB1.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 15
  • CB2.JPG
    CB2.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Bed platform Mod:
I didn't want a full sized, dedicated platform, I still need the seats for traveling with my G-Baby. I wanted something super lightweight that could be stored on it's edge, if needed or strapped to the roof rack, if needed. I wanted clear unobstructed storage under it to store my tool kits and access to the rearmost storage tray. I haven't installed the decking yet, planning to lay up a carbon fiber deck.

When I measured the 1/2 folded seat front edge and rear edge, there was 1.5" - 2" difference in height so I made my platform 3.75" tall. That leaves 1.5" or so difference in height and I don't think it'll be an issue.

Bed1 - Extruded Alumim Frame
Bed2 - Mattress inflated, fits like a glove
Bed3 - Mattress from amazon ($100)
Bed4 - Extruded Alum from Amazon (less than $150) Someone on this forum recommended this, and they weren't wrong, I like it so far.

The Key to a sturdy extruded alum frame structure are exact lengths and 90 degree cuts. (wood working tools work great for cutting alum, just go slow and keep a firm grip, the metal will get hot, so gloves are recommended)
The ext Alum is 3/4" square (actually sold in mm)
The long runners are 42" for the top two and 34" for the bottom two (allows for the rear seat to be reclined in a normal sitting position with the rack installed).
The cross braces are 25.5" and are installed between the top runners. (these are shorter to allow access to the rear storage tray with the rack is installed)
The vertical posts are 1.75" and are installed between the top and bottom rails. (this allows for the 2 different style corner braces to be installed)

Attachments

• Bed1.JPG
    Bed1.JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Bed2.JPG
    Bed2.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Bed3.jpg
    Bed3.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Bed4.jpg
    Bed4.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My first mod: I was in the back today and the curtesy lights in the rear hatch would not go off. Removed the rear hatch trim piece and installed a switch in the power side of the existing curtesy wiring.
Well thats cool.

Is that the sub in the prem pkg?

Congrats on your LC FE. I hope itโ€™s everything you expected if not more!

That's really cool. Do you want me to move this to the build thread area and give it the prefix?

Damn thatโ€™s exactly what I want to do with my compressor! Did you fabricate the mount etc yourself?

Damn thatโ€™s exactly what I want to do with my compressor! Did you fabricate the mount etc yourself?
Yes, It was pretty simple as I always use existing bolts/holes and had to fabricate some standoffs to make it level.

Yes, It was pretty simple as I always use existing bolts/holes and had to fabricate some standoffs to make it level.
Where did you draw power from, the relay/fuse box next to it, maybe the relay where the jump terminal is on the other side of the bay?

The power distro box on the passenger side, where the cable for the starter enters the box. There are two little tabs that you can depress and the corner cover comes off (corner of the box is still there but the cover covering the cable bolt lifts straight up) I'm waiting on some 6 gage cable. The brand new cable that I've had for a few years but never unwrapped, had corrosion all through it and I threw a brand new 100' roll in the trash.

Once the cover comes of you'll see the 12v feed lug and the starter cable lug. I plan to fabricate a terminal extension out of stainless to mimic the starter cable terminal and use a die grinder to make room for the new terminal and cable. Picture above.

Last edited:
Once the cover comes of you'll see the 12v feed lug and the start cable lug.

Is the 12v feed a power source already being used by the vehicle to power some things, or is this an extra 12v aux source for added accessories? The shop that will install my winch (and onboard air) prefers not to piggy back and add extra load to a line. They're talking about running their own 12v line from the back, but if Toyota is providing this I don't want to duplicate.

Is the 12v feed a power source already being used by the vehicle to power some things, or is this an extra 12v aux source for added accessories? The shop that will install my winch (and onboard air) prefers not to piggy back and add extra load to a line. They're talking about running their own 12v line from the back, but if Toyota is providing this I don't want to duplicate.
I haven't verified this, but I believe the inaccessible cable on the buss (there are two) is the main cable back to the 12v battery and the 2nd cable on the buss goes to the 12v starter motor. So in theory the 1st cables powers the two power distribution boxes under the hood. and the 2nd powers the 12v starter.

If I install a winch I may run a cable back to the battery but for the air compressor, lights and power running boards, I feel comfortable with tying into the buss.

Rear Hatch Light Mod: I was in the back today and the curtesy lights in the rear hatch would not go off. Removed the rear hatch trim piece and installed a switch in the power side of the existing curtesy wiring.
Great job! How did you identify the correct existing wire to tap into? Which switch wires and how did you connect them? Can this be done without removing the entire rear door plastic panel - maybe just opening the small rectangular piece around the switches?

Thereโ€™s no way to turn these courtesy lights off without modifying the factory setup, right?

After the trim panel was removed, the wires for the lights were easily identified. Toyota typically uses white/blk as the color for ground, I cut the red wire and spliced in two new wires back to the new switch. There is no way to do this without removing the trim panel. The only interesting part, was reconnecting the lights (still snapped in the trim piece) to the body harness with one hand holding up the panel and the other hand hooking the connectors back together.

I think they are supposed to turn off after 20 minutes, but mine were on for at least an hour an I decided to do the switch.

Last edited:
Back