Digital Key

FTA99

📛 Founding Member
Jul 10, 2024
New Hampshire
Vehicles
Tundra
Looking for input on anyone that has used the digital key (phone is the key). Can you keep your phone in your pocket and have the door unlock and also start the vehicle? Do you need a digital key subscription?

Looking for input on anyone that has used the digital key (phone is the key). Can you keep your phone in your pocket and have the door unlock and also start the vehicle? Do you need a digital key subscription?
You have to download the digital key. Then in order to use it you have to have the app open on your phone before you approach your vehicle if you want to just hop right in and take off. If the app is closed you cant unlock the vehicle.

I've found the app to be very buggy and unreliable so far. To the point I don't even mess with it anymore after a week. Also, the constant notifications to check the hybrid rear seat are annoying. You have to do long button presses within the app to achieve an action like remote start or lock and unlock.

YEah I used the digital key for a day and it worked ok, but i usually have my keys in my pocket anyways, so it doesn't add value for me.

I'm gonna try the sharing key feature this week to see if my wife can start my car without a key using her phone if I share the key to her

As far as subscriptions go yes it's a subscription service. I think I get 1 full year free though.

So if your phone is not functioning for whatever reason, you cannot enter / start the vehicle?
If that is the case, I would carry my key with me anyway.
Or go back to the Summer of '84 and buy a "hide-a-key" and attach it to the frame via magnet.

I am going from a Rivian and a Ford Maverick to the Land Cruiser... my phone is the key for the Rivian; the Maverick offers the same, but I also opted for the $100.00 optional 5-digit physical key pad on the driver's door. Honestly, I don't know why every single manufacturer doesn't offer this. I can go for a run and leave my keys and phone behind... whereas with the Rivian, I have to bring my phone along. Sounds like I may be able to do the same with the LC. I'd go with the HideAKey, but I'm guessing the physical key for the LC is $400.00 to replace, like all manufacturers.

Reactions: MJE
I would imagine the app will be updated so you don't have to have it open for the digital key to work, my BMW has been that way from the beginning. The catch with the BMW app is it works about 98% of the time, so I really couldn't recommend leaving key at home anyway. Don't ask about those 2% times, but good thing I have more than one vehicle and driver in my household.

I would imagine the app will be updated so you don't have to have it open for the digital key to work, my BMW has been that way from the beginning. The catch with the BMW app is it works about 98% of the time, so I really couldn't recommend leaving key at home anyway. Don't ask about those 2% times, but good thing I have more than one vehicle and driver in my household.
I had a 22 Lexus NX 350 with the digital key. It wasn’t ready for prime time then and it isn’t ready for prime time now. Toyota has had a lot of time to work on this and it is still buggy. I didn’t use it then, and I don’t use it now because of this. I find it unreliable and troublesome to use.

Just imagine standing in the rain, trying to pull up the app on the phone and trying to log into Toyota app and your cell signal is weak. You’re going to get pretty wet.

For anyone planning on using a hide-a-key, make sure it's a valet key.

Toyota key fobs are always transmitting (unless they are in sleep mode) with equipment you can easily buy, you can walk by a transmitting key, clone it and bam! you can start and drive off!

You can turn off the key (put it in sleep mode) which prevents casual cloning. You can purchase a faraday pouch which will also block the signal (or both). Even in your house there have been cases where thieves rode around and cloned keys and stole the vehicle.

Last edited:
Anyone get the warning when they start the vehicle that there is a new digital key, contact dealer for details?

I am going from a Rivian and a Ford Maverick to the Land Cruiser... my phone is the key for the Rivian; the Maverick offers the same, but I also opted for the $100.00 optional 5-digit physical key pad on the driver's door. Honestly, I don't know why every single manufacturer doesn't offer this. I can go for a run and leave my keys and phone behind... whereas with the Rivian, I have to bring my phone along. Sounds like I may be able to do the same with the LC. I'd go with the HideAKey, but I'm guessing the physical key for the LC is $400.00 to replace, like all manufacturers.
I wish every manufacturer used this. It’s about as simple & reliable as keyless entry can get. Not quite the article I recall, but does explain a bit.

Apparently GM tried to make a version too. I too don’t know why every manufacturer doesn’t have this option, the keypad itself is often wireless, so a cheap/easy addition. The article claims Fords are hardwired, but many of theirs are wireless too. But sadly even Ford seems to be moving away from it.

Switched phone and now the digital key will not download. Is this something only the dealer can set up?

Switched phone and now the digital key will not download. Is this something only the dealer can set up?
if you restored from a backup on your new phone, the security certs and ID on your new phone are different so the backed up digital key will not work. you'll need to delete it in the app and start the pairing process again using the app.

if you restored from a backup on your new phone, the security certs and ID on your new phone are different so the backed up digital key will not work. you'll need to delete it in the app and start the pairing process again using the app.
You nailed…Thanks

Back