Are Buyers Actually Paying $5k over MSRP???

If anyone is looking for FE at MSRP, Legends Toyota in the KC Metro had a Trail Dust and Heritage Blue FE for MSRP. The Trail Dust has K02's added on by the manager which they were charging cost for but they told me they would take them off if I wanted and put the original tires back on since I wanted different tires than the K02. I only passed because mine is a few weeks out and coming exactly the way i want so I'm holding out.

If anyone is looking for FE at MSRP, Legends Toyota in the KC Metro had a Trail Dust and Heritage Blue FE for MSRP. The Trail Dust has K02's added on by the manager which they were charging cost for but they told me they would take them off if I wanted and put the original tires back on since I wanted different tires than the K02. I only passed because mine is a few weeks out and coming exactly the way i want so I'm holding out.
Legends Toyota is a good shop in KC. Used to be part of the Baxter Group in Omaha. Always MSRP.

I got super lucky. I just visited Toyota on a random Tuesday with LC trim available to purchase in Heritage Blue with java interior. No up charge or dealer add on. MSRP plus tax out the door.

I wouldn't buy a blinker lightbulb from any dealer who prices any vehicle over MSRP. Lots of crooked dealers like those in Oklahoma as well.
I my business I choose my prices. I don't expect any different from other business. These car dealers are not "crooked".

Buyers paying over MSRP in July of 2024 are either ignorant or too busy to shop around.

I my business I choose my prices. I don't expect any different from other business. These car dealers are not "crooked".

Buyers paying over MSRP in July of 2024 are either ignorant or too busy to shop around.
It is clearly an attempt to take advantage of buyers. Even Rolex doesn't sell their watches over MSRP despite certain models in extremely high demand and many people are on waiting lists for years and years.

It is clearly an attempt to take advantage of buyers. Even Rolex doesn't sell their watches over MSRP despite certain models in extremely high demand and many people are on waiting lists for years and years.

I see it as predatory pricing: Markups are dealers trying to exploit supply shortages by asking to be paid off. Like if your grocery store manager demanded to be paid $5 to sell you a loaf of bread during the pandemic that still retailed for $5.99. It's bad enough that their dealers exist as middlemen in the first place, let alone when they try to shake down anyone who's interested in the brand. It tells me they see customers as something to exploit rather than provide an honest product or service for my money and build a long-term customer relationship with. I built a regional spreadsheet of dealers in my area and know exactly who to never contact again and I consider that to be due diligence when buying a Toyota.

Iโ€™ll just pile on hereโ€ฆ

Earnhardt Toyota in Mesa, AZ sold me mine for msrp and no addons except tinted windows and door edge guards for $999 which I wanted and wouldve done myself anyway (every dealer in phoenix adds window treatment for obvious reasons).

Originally they did try to add on a few silly โ€œbells and whistlesโ€ but i said I didnt want any of those things and I would only pay msrp, so they took em off no problem whatsoever.

Ask for Jordan Sherwood, great guy.

Iโ€™ll just pile on hereโ€ฆ

Earnhardt Toyota in Mesa, AZ sold me mine for msrp and no addons except tinted windows and door edge guards for $999 which I wanted and wouldve done myself anyway (every dealer in phoenix adds window treatment for obvious reasons).

Originally they did try to add on a few silly โ€œbells and whistlesโ€ but i said I didnt want any of those things and I would only pay msrp, so they took em off no problem whatsoever.

Ask for Jordan Sherwood, great guy.
How did the tint turn out? Any idea if the work was performed in house or at a local shop and/or spec?

How did the tint turn out? Any idea if the work was performed in house or at a local shop and/or spec?
Actually they havent done it yet. In fact i said i wanted ceramic (instead of the metal crap) and they agreed โ€ฆwhich is why I was okay with $999. Iโ€™m going in friday to have it put on.

I have no idea whoโ€™s doing itโ€ฆ Iโ€™ll be checking my toyota app for car location after I drop it off :)

Actually they havent done it yet. In fact i said i wanted ceramic (instead of the metal crap) and they agreed โ€ฆwhich is why I was okay with $999. Iโ€™m going in friday to have it put on.

I have no idea whoโ€™s doing itโ€ฆ Iโ€™ll be checking my toyota app for car location after I drop it off :)
I've been doing the same. Its handy. My LC showed up with a couple of scratches on sunroof glass (dealer is fixing for free). I can see where it is, when they're opening doors, etc. Helps me track when they're actually working on it.

As I wait for my allocation, I consistently monitor the market on Autotrader, etc.

It seems like many dealers are still asking $5k over MSRP for the LC Edition. Some are $7,500 - $10k over MSRP.

Are people actually paying this or are the dealers dropping that as soon as a potential buyer mentions its ridiculousness?
I did not. Paid MSRP. No dealer add ons.

Nobody is paying MSRP anymore that is following the market. Some might be suckered into it from dealerships (that Iโ€™d never ever buy a car from), but it would only be because they donโ€™t do any research of what they are buying.

By the way, in my above comment regarding my scrap-the-markup purchase, I neglected the mention the name and location of the dealership. It was Bell Road Toyota in Phoenix, AZ.

Even though it took a lot of persuading on my part to get the markup removed, once the final price was set in stone, the sales manager was honest enough to tell me that they're always willing to yank the markup from the asking price if it meant retaining the customer and "moving" the vehicle from their lot.

Again, the "customer walkout" will always remain the biggest dealership fear.

Back