Car Camping Solution

Platform built today. I plan on adding some mounting points to secure it, but its hefty enough that I don't expect it move around.

IMG_2055.jpeg
IMG_2056.jpeg
IMG_2057.jpeg
IMG_2058.jpeg
IMG_2059.jpeg

That turned out pretty slick! I assume the hinge is for folding and being able to store in the back.
Yes, it folds so I can stow it in the back and raise the second row. I have a 4.5 inch inflatable foam mattress that I'll place on top. Its 26 x 80 so should fit perfectly on the 78 x 26 platform.

Heading to CO next month for 10 days, and plan to spend quite a few nights in the LC!

Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 7.46.04 PM.png

Yes, it folds so I can stow it in the back and raise the second row. I have a 4.5 inch inflatable foam mattress that I'll place on top. Its 26 x 80 so should fit perfectly on the 78 x 26 platform.

Heading to CO next month for 10 days, and plan to spend quite a few nights in the LC!

View attachment 7709
That looks like a fancy sleeping pad, Have you had one before? I've only used the old fashioned air mattress.

Someone makes a flatbed system. This pic is from a Motortrend article but they don't mention it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240812_075313_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240812_075313_Gallery.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20240812_075308_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240812_075308_Gallery.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 127
@shinkle23 Here are my rudimentary plans, and you can do it all with one sheet of 4x8 sanded 3/4 " plywood. I had Home Depot make the main cuts for me at the store, then the others at home. Squared up and butted the edges together, glued the edges and used countersunk screws. Purchased 13 feet of exterior black carpet off the roll at Home Depot and stapled it down. Later added a cut-out at the feet to allow access to the rear storage cubby. I was planning on using a bungee of sort to secure the head to the child seat anchor points on the back of the folded seat, and a turn-buckle to secure the body section to the front cargo tie-down, but its heavy enough that I'm not sure I need all that. I might just strap a bungee across the top during travel/ off-roading and undo it when sleeping.

I used a couple 12" hinges to allow the upper section to fold back (can't fold it while in the vehicle) and store in back of the rear seats to allow raising them up and stowing the platform away. I'll be storing it in my garage storage area and pull it out for camping trips. Foam/air mattress and my own bedding or sleeping bag and I should be pretty comfortable .

Anxious to see what a "real" craftsman can do! This is basic, cheap and all I really need.
IMG_2051 (1).jpeg

I emailed Bam Beds that made a modular platform for the 4runner and Luno mattresses and they said they are working on a platform like this one for the Land Cruiser in the next month.
This one also transforms into a little bench as well.
This is cool

I for one find it comfortable to lay with the seats folded and my torso on the seat backs. I saw a YouTuber (Chloe) take a LC Toyota gave her to an off-road event and she just put an air mattress back there and found it very comfortable with the incline. I haven’t spent the night yet, once it cools down I plan to in testing for a road trip this fall. I’ve seen on the forum people build platforms, you could do single or double if you want it flat, but yeah you’re taking away storage and have a big hunk of wood to store and haul around then.

I bought the same pad, very comfortable. As someone else already pointed out, I put a small blanket in between to fill the gap between the back seats and the floor. My wife doesn't need one as she's shorter. We enjoy the experience.

I also have a Thule tub which stores the sleeping pad, 2 camping chairs, and all my camping accessories. For pan and pots, cooking ingredients I store them in 2 plastic containers and put them in the back area together with 2 paddle boards. It works for me.

20240811_065857.jpg
20240809_145157.jpg
20240810_201237.jpg

I constructed a 4-inch platform for the back, which levels the floor when the seats are folded down. An Exped Duo mat fits nicely in this space, providing a comfortable sleeping area. The platform is made from 1/2-inch plywood and 2x4s, coated with bedliner for durability. Future plans include rebuilding it with removable panels to store gear underneath.

View attachment 4881
View attachment 4882
Do you mind sharing where you can find bedliner? Thank you

Those wheel wells really screwing it up and all that just for cupholders for 3rd row. I wonder if anyone will ever make a cupholder delete, so you can go full 55" wide like in 100 series?

100seriesexped.jpg

Goose gear already makes a nifty platform that still lets you access storage around battery and have the drawers, it's a good start.

IMG_4682.heic

Seems like you can also get 8" tall drawers that can probably extend over seats to make a nice bed platform, seats height when folded from battery level around 6":

side-x-side-drawer-module-41-38-wide-x-36-depth-180726.jpg

Those wheel wells really screwing it up and all that just for cupholders for 3rd row. I wonder if anyone will ever make a cupholder delete, so you can go full 55" wide like in 100 series?

View attachment 8043

Goose gear already makes a nifty platform that still lets you access storage around battery and have the drawers, it's a good start.

IMG_4682.heic

Seems like you can also get 8" tall drawers that can probably extend over seats to make a nice bed platform, seats height when folded from battery level around 6":

side-x-side-drawer-module-41-38-wide-x-36-depth-180726.jpg
Who is this manufacturer?

Here is the platform that I built using DctrEvil's plans (Thanks for posting). I modified the dimensions and added a second piano hinge to make it easier to deploy (lay flat for sleeping). Also, just added a simple brace that keeps it level. Looking forward to having a vehicle that will allow me to explore the mountains nearby.

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    681.4 KB · Views: 59
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 60
  • image0 (5).jpeg
    image0 (5).jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 56
I am curious.. how do all those folks who sleep in the back of these chariots, close the rear hatch when getting inside at bedtime?

Alright no one in here seems to give a damn about head space. My solution was to remove and store the second row seats (to be put back in when I some day trade it in), and place a 1/2” plywood sheet with the side towards the front suspended in the air with lashing straps to the handlebars on the front side of the rear doors. I can take a picture if you need an illustration. Regarding storage I just ordered the overland vehicle systems slide out shelving. There’s a lot of room under the bed where the second row used to be too. Once my goose gear plate comes in there’s more room hatch-side for smaller stuff under the bed. I also have two Pelican v800s on the roof and am very tempted to get the dissent bumper mount with overland pro when it comes out. I basically live out of this car so I have a big focus on storage

Ultane: I never climb into my ‘bedroom’ through the hatch as I hate dirt in my bed. I always climb from the drivers seat after changing

Alright no one in here seems to give a damn about head space. My solution was to remove and store the second row seats (to be put back in when I some day trade it in), and place a 1/2” plywood sheet with the side towards the front suspended in the air with lashing straps to the handlebars on the front side of the rear doors. I can take a picture if you need an illustration. Regarding storage I just ordered the overland vehicle systems slide out shelving. There’s a lot of room under the bed where the second row used to be too. Once my goose gear plate comes in there’s more room hatch-side for smaller stuff under the bed. I also have two Pelican v800s on the roof and am very tempted to get the dissent bumper mount with overland pro when it comes out. I basically live out of this car so I have a big focus on storage

Ultane: I never climb into my ‘bedroom’ through the hatch as I hate dirt in my bed. I always climb from the drivers seat after changing
My only concern is headspace. Which is why I'm still waiting for a solution.....

My only concern is headspace. Which is why I'm still waiting for a solution.....
Goose gear and 1/2” plywood sheet sized for your bedding, then your choice of storage solutions.

Or if you don’t want to pay the exorbitant premium for goose while also waiting to pay another arm and leg when they release the second row seat delete: a plywood sheet 1/2” 43”x76” will do you just fine

If you go with pickup either Tacoma or Tundra this wouldn't be an issue. The only downside is after you put these full featured canopy/camper insert you would feel driving a big pickup not agile SUV anymore

Back