Car Camping Solution

Marinna

đź“› Founding Member
Jun 18, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
Still waiting for my LC to arrive. I have noticed that the second row and trunk are not one flat platform, so certain padding arrangement will be needed. Does anybody have a good suggestion or product we can buy off-the-shelf?

Right now I am thinking to get some 2~3 inches harder memory foam to put on the trunk where the battery is. But this will have to sacrifice some amount of storage. I wonder if it is possible to build some kind of shelving system in the back so I can maximize the storage space in an elegant way

I for one find it comfortable to lay with the seats folded and my torso on the seat backs. I saw a YouTuber (Chloe) take a LC Toyota gave her to an off-road event and she just put an air mattress back there and found it very comfortable with the incline. I haven’t spent the night yet, once it cools down I plan to in testing for a road trip this fall. I’ve seen on the forum people build platforms, you could do single or double if you want it flat, but yeah you’re taking away storage and have a big hunk of wood to store and haul around then.

Here’s a ready off the shelf solution.

If you are looking for storage and sleeping, we have something you might be interested in!

image1.jpeg

Here’s a ready off the shelf solution.
The place where the two feets located is a case cover that will only hold 60 Kgs I believe, also we don't have a solid support in the trunk anywhere next to the hybrid battery. That is going to be tricky. I also think that we can't place anything permanently in the trunk since the battery might need to be serviced several times along its life cycle.

I constructed a 4-inch platform for the back, which levels the floor when the seats are folded down. An Exped Duo mat fits nicely in this space, providing a comfortable sleeping area. The platform is made from 1/2-inch plywood and 2x4s, coated with bedliner for durability. Future plans include rebuilding it with removable panels to store gear underneath.

IMG_1663.JPG

coated.jpg

I recognize your car from Facebook. Are you also from Dissent Off-road?

We are a vehicle storage, cooking and sleeping company called 'Air Down Gear Up", but we do work closely with DIssent Off Road! They make amazing armor, and absolutely knocked it out of the park with that recent LC250 build featuring our drawer/Sleeper System.

We are a vehicle storage, cooking and sleeping company called 'Air Down Gear Up", but we do work closely with DIssent Off Road! They make amazing armor, and absolutely knocked it out of the park with that recent LC250 build featuring our drawer/Sleeper System.
The work performed on this car is sick. But I can see it is one of its kind and hard to reproduce. I suspect we have to wait for another 4~5 years for this TNGA Toyota platform to drive on the road before we can start to see cost-down massively produced bumpers and drawers that are tightly integrated with LC250

I constructed a 4-inch platform for the back, which levels the floor when the seats are folded down. An Exped Duo mat fits nicely in this space, providing a comfortable sleeping area. The platform is made from 1/2-inch plywood and 2x4s, coated with bedliner for durability. Future plans include rebuilding it with removable panels to store gear underneath.

View attachment 4881
View attachment 4882
this is awesome!! how did you bolt it down so it doesn't move around?

this is awesome!! how did you bolt it down so it doesn't move around?
Thanks! I used the factory tie-down points along with a small turnbuckle at the rear and a front runner strap on the mid tie-down points. This setup is just a temporary solution.

IMG_1680.JPG
IMG_1679.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG

Still waiting for my LC to arrive. I have noticed that the second row and trunk are not one flat platform, so certain padding arrangement will be needed. Does anybody have a good suggestion or product we can buy off-the-shelf?

Right now I am thinking to get some 2~3 inches harder memory foam to put on the trunk where the battery is. But this will have to sacrifice some amount of storage. I wonder if it is possible to build some kind of shelving system in the back so I can maximize the storage space in an elegant way
I have to have a temporary camping setup in the LC since I’m not the only one in the family that uses it. I have an ICECO cot and by removing the front supports, it lays directly on the folded down seat and left the rear supports on to keep it level. With a good mattress it’s comfortable and I can sit up without hitting my head on the ceiling. Will put it to the test soon.

Attachments

• IMG_6020.jpeg
    IMG_6020.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 200
I emailed Bam Beds that made a modular platform for the 4runner and Luno mattresses and they said they are working on a platform like this one for the Land Cruiser in the next month.
This one also transforms into a little bench as well.

If you are looking for storage and sleeping, we have something you might be interested in!

View attachment 4870
I have removed my second row seats. Do any you have any flat platforms that do not raise the floor as seen in the picture.

The most important part of my vehicle is the headspace, so I won't raise it for any reason beyond what is necessary to get a flat bed

I emailed Bam Beds that made a modular platform for the 4runner and Luno mattresses and they said they are working on a platform like this one for the Land Cruiser in the next month.
Great. Folding legs underneath would make nice camp tables.

The way I see it is to carry gear in waterproof containers. Don't need any bedspace until night. An attached car tent could make an annex to put stuff.

This is actually nice. I think they should make the bamboo board foldable so it is easier for storage when not used. The board seems to be just a rectangle, I would image a nice design should allow the use of the underlying storage. Also I am thinking of cheaper material like foam or some sort of hard plastics would just as nice as more affordable

PACK RACK

SUV PACK Kit

I hate this type of design. That is a huge waste in space under the platform, and turn all the storage compartment unaccessible. That design is lazy at its best, let alone the price they ask.
Hate is a strong word. I was just sharing something I found. Keep in mind, the LC has a weight limit for that area above the battery. Good Luck to you.

View attachment 4881
View attachment 4882
best one yet. Right on Bro!

Back