Cabin (wind) noise

Years ago, I bought a 2015 Ford Transit, LWB, extended body, tall roof. I used it to move my belongings from Idaho, back east, to be closer to my chiren after I retired. I planned on building it out as a class B camper (I am a wood worker). But too many quality problems with it, left a sour taste in my mouth, so I never did so.

Long before throwing in the towel, I bought 50 or 60 lineal feet of 5โ€™ wide, 1.5โ€ thick automotive (and marine) insulation(the brand name escapes me), and installed it in the walls of the van, underneath the plastic cargo sheathing. It made driving it MUCH quieter, no longer sounding like I was in a bass drum, and made it much easier to get cool in the summer. I still have a significant amount left over.

Though I have NO complaints about the interior noise level when driving Miss Daisy, I am considering ๐Ÿง installing it in the roof, and doors, to add an even more insulated feel to Miss Daisy.

Same. Quiet. The crossbars were the source of all my (unacceptable) noise, and was an easy fix

Coming from a 2015 Highlander, my LC Premium is quieter and I drive quite a bit of highway miles.

I have an LC premium. Took the cross bars off immediately and find it seriously quiet. I've had it up to 85

Looking through all the comments it seems that the only vehicles experiencing a lot of wind noise on the highway are LC First Edition and ones with Cross Bars.
Does anyone with a LC or 1958 WITHOUT rack or crossbars have highway noise issues?

Looking through all the comments it seems that the only vehicles experiencing a lot of wind noise on the highway are LC First Edition and ones with Cross Bars.
Does anyone with a LC or 1958 WITHOUT rack or crossbars have highway noise issues?
It is rather silent for me, unless there is strong headwind on highway speeds.

I have a FE with roof rack and mine is really quiet. I hit 81/82 which is way over the limit on the highway I was on and didnโ€™t realize I was going that fast. I had a 2015 4Runner trail premium with aftermarket sound dampening in the doors and no roof rack and it was a lot louder than the LC.

Reactions: Don
I have a FE and I find it quiet. But I also had a Wrangler soโ€ฆ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

I have a FE and I find it quiet. But I also had a Wrangler soโ€ฆ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Who says there no advantage to the hearing loss and possible brain damage from many highways miles in a Wrangler?

Hopefully a low rack with an air dam like the FE is the solution. I'm curious what owners with full size custom racks will report. How does having the airdam at the front compare to the 2/3 solution?

Who says there no advantage to the hearing loss and possible brain damage from many highways miles in a Wrangler?

Hopefully a low rack with an air dam like the FE is the solution. I'm curious what owners with full size custom racks will report. How does having the airdam at the front compare to the 2/3 solution?
Or just age related hearing loss

The noise in the cabin (mostly wind noise i think) gets decently loud as the LC gets up to speed. Seems like it comes off of side mirrors, windshield, and then the FE roof rack too.

Any ideas out there on how to reduce - obviously taking the rack off would help OR not driving such a boxy car - but curious if there are any add on enhancements that help with this type of noise.

I know the LC only has acoustic glass for windshield and doesnโ€™t seem like you can upgrade the door windows yourself.

Just curious. Its not really that big of a deal but I love the car, itโ€™s my daily driver and want to keep it for a very long time, so if thereโ€™s stuff that works Iโ€™d be interested in investing in it!
What?

The noise in the cabin (mostly wind noise i think) gets decently loud as the LC gets up to speed. Seems like it comes off of side mirrors, windshield, and then the FE roof rack too.

Any ideas out there on how to reduce - obviously taking the rack off would help OR not driving such a boxy car - but curious if there are any add on enhancements that help with this type of noise.

I know the LC only has acoustic glass for windshield and doesnโ€™t seem like you can upgrade the door windows yourself.

Just curious. Its not really that big of a deal but I love the car, itโ€™s my daily driver and want to keep it for a very long time, so if thereโ€™s stuff that works Iโ€™d be interested in investing in it!
I don't have the FE,. I have the LC and the cross bars on the roof definitely cause wind noise. My wife thinks the cross bars make it look cooler so I am dealing with it for now..... LOL I know the FE has a different roof rack setup and I am not sure what the wind noise it could generate but those who have posted about the GX 550 vs the LC are correct. The windows do have a bit impact. I just traveled 8 hours in my LC to Kansas City and back and I can't say that the wind noise really bothered me. I came from an F150 (Lariat) so maybe that is the reason why... BTW.... I miss my F150 seats and seat heaters.

Back