Best Custom Build I Have Seen So Far

I like the idea of the swing out, Iโ€™m just concerned with stress on the receiver hitch.

I like the idea of the swing out, Iโ€™m just concerned with stress on the receiver hitch.

I don't know the tongue weight rating of the 2024 LC but that tire swing can't be exceeding that so I wouldn't worry about that.

I have a dual swingout on my 60 series and it gets very tiresome having to swing it out all the time, also a lot of extra weight hanging off the back. pros and cons for sure.

I have a dual swingout on my 60 series and it gets very tiresome having to swing it out all the time, also a lot of extra weight hanging off the back. pros and cons for sure.
The way I love about this setting is that the tire mount can be part time only. You only do that when going offroad, which for most people is a small fraction for their use of the car. So for that I even think blocking backup camera is totally acceptable. Who needs it when going offroad?

Beyond that I also like about how he mount these lighting on stock roof rack, and most impressively is what he did to the cargo space. That is exactly how I pictured it in my LC. Now just need to wait somebody to commercialize these ideas.

The way I love about this setting is that the tire mount can be part time only. You only do that when going offroad, which for most people is a small fraction for their use of the car. So for that I even think blocking backup camera is totally acceptable. Who needs it when going offroad?

Beyond that I also like about how he mount these lighting on stock roof rack, and most impressively is what he did to the cargo space. That is exactly how I pictured it in my LC. Now just need to wait somebody to commercialize these ideas.
True, it would be nice to not have on for daily driving. Mine is part of the bumper so not easy to take on and off, however mine tucks up much more and doesn't impede departure angle at all. But this would probably be perfect for a lot of people

Let me lay some truth on you, having had a swing out for many years on another vehicle...Overall I would say the pros outweigh the cons, in my opinion. I never felt the weight on the back affected anything significantly. I had much larger mud tires than would fit underneath the truck, so having a full-sized spare was reassuring. I loved the addition of a camp table and the ability to mount a number of other accessories on it.

But...you will never take it off when you are back at home. They need to be secured pretty snugly in the hitch so they won't wobble around off road, so putting it on and taking it off, while straightforward, isn't something I think most people would care to do. It also means you'd probably not have a spare tire mounted for 90% of the time on regular roads, which wouldn't be advisable.

I would also say, that it is very important to have a backup camera when offloading; I can remember numerous times when I found myself in a precarious position and had to back out quite carefully. The backup camera allowed me to see a somewhat wider and lower viewpoint (where the rocks and ledges are). The setup I had, I relocated the backup camera when I put the tire swing on, which was quite easy, but this is yet another reason why one might not take the tire carrier on and off frequently.

Your use and preferences may vary, of course, but this is my experience with a swing out.

Back