2400W Power Inverter

Fail. It immediately turns off when it sees the house system( at no load.) It likely doesn't like the ground. I do have a ground to neutral bonding adapter, but I'm not trying it wiithout a better understanding of the issue.

For the record the connection was to a Reliance Controls subpanel. It's designed for a 30 amp 120V Yamaha generator, not the more common 50 amp 240V class generator.

I will give it a go. If I never return here it didn't go well.
Fail. It immediately turns off when it sees the house system( at no load.) It likely doesn't like the ground. I do have a ground to neutral bonding adapter, but I'm not trying it wiithout a better understanding of the issue.

For the record the connection was to a Reliance Controls subpanel. It's designed for a 30 amp 120V Yamaha generator, not the more common 50 amp 240V class generator.
Good to know. Now I don' t have to give it a try. :)

Good to know. Now I don' t have to give it a try. :)
In time some knowledgeable person will figure out the safety system of this inverter. Anyone know if the the Tacoma hybrid has this inverter as an option? I assume it will be in the next 4Runner.

I'm just now discovering the little task lights in the LC. There a little light pointed the generator plug. The outlet itself has a strong spring holding the plug in. Lots of careful attention to detail from Toyota. Impressive. I wish they were equally skilled at software.

Anyone try to hook up their Land Cruiser to a home electrical panel yet? That's the next YouTube video we need!

Dang. @agjake01 have you tried your set up yet?
I’m going to try tomorrow or Thursday as my wife was working from home this afternoon and didn’t want me cutting power and killing Teams 😂

With the interlock, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. The main will be off and I’ll be feeding directly to the house via the fuse panel. Plan to start with one breaker at a time and see how it goes.

On a side note, it would be great if there was a way to monitor inverter draw, anyone know if there is a dash setting?

If not and the inverter/panel works, might need to see if there’s a plug and play power meter mod out there.

On a side note, it would be great if there was a way to monitor inverter draw, anyone know if there is a dash setting?
No, but I use Home Assistant on the house side.

If the inverter eventually works for me I would like to measure engine start/stops. There seems to be an ODB to home assistant connection I can make.

I don't believe the inverter will like the ground when you connect to your panel.

No, but I use Home Assistant on the house side.

If the inverter eventually works for me I would like to measure engine start/stops. There seems to be an ODB to home assistant connection I can make.

I don't believe the inverter will like the ground when you connect to your panel.
Any electricians on here? is it possible we need an isolation transformer between LC and the panel to remedy the grounding issue?

Reactions: Don
Curious why you would need that or when you would ever use that?

What applications?
I could see a usage. If you have unreliable power, and lots of outages, better than buying a generator if you already have a land cruiser to fulfill this.

Any electricians on here? is it possible we need an isolation transformer between LC and the panel to remedy the grounding issue?
My electrician hooked mine up based on the pics you posted. It made sense to him. He did not mention a transformer. Have not tested yet because do not have extension cord adapter

My electrician hooked mine up based on the pics you posted. It made sense to him. He did not mention a transformer. Have not tested yet because do not have extension cord adapter
We still don't have a report of a successful home connection. Very few electricians would anticipate a problem.

Attachments

• 20240808_162549.jpg
    20240808_162549.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 70
I just read this. Heads up @agjake01
Yeah unfortunately Toyota grounded the inverter (for safety reasons) which conflicts with the grounded panel on the house. A shame Toyota didn’t add a switch to sever the ground when needed for this application.. This is the same issue Ford owners had with the PowerBoost.

I think the only options are to install/tie in a transfer switch to the panel (with an ungrounded sub panel), or to get a Goal Zero or EcoFlow 3000w power station to power the house panel, and then to charge the power station with the LC.

Transfer switch setup is probably $1000-$1200 based on my research, and then a 3000w power station is probably double that (plus an interlock and plug for the house panel).

I’ve already wired the panel for my generator so I’ll probably just skip the transfer switch and buy a power station for overlanding/home use down the road.

(not an electrician, just an average joe dangerously armed with Google and ChatGPT)

Victron is high quality an makes a 3600W isolation transformer mostly used in boats. $600. It's used in boats primarily so that vessels can benefit from but not rely on the quality and wiring of shore power. My understanding is that an isolation transformer allows both sides to have its own bonded ground.

I'm not qualified to make a recommendation here. Just pointing anyone research this problem solutions in a direction.

Yeah unfortunately Toyota grounded the inverter (for safety reasons) which conflicts with the grounded panel on the house. A shame Toyota didn’t add a switch to sever the ground when needed for this application.. This is the same issue Ford owners had with the PowerBoost.

I think the only options are to install/tie in a transfer switch to the panel (with an ungrounded sub panel), or to get a Goal Zero or EcoFlow 3000w power station to power the house panel, and then to charge the power station with the LC.

Transfer switch setup is probably $1000-$1200 based on my research, and then a 3000w power station is probably double that (plus an interlock and plug for the house panel).

I’ve already wired the panel for my generator so I’ll probably just skip the transfer switch and buy a power station for overlanding/home use down the road.

(not an electrician, just an average joe dangerously armed with Google and ChatGPT)
I had my electrician install the set up so will probably just buy a generator for the home. Was thinking about doing that anyway- was a little nervous using my car to run the house. My neighbor does have the Ford lightning and he used it to run his house when the power was out a few months back.

IMO, if you connect the vehicle to your panel and you do not have some sort of interlock, if the power happens to return when your vehicle is attached to your panel, your vehicle will lose. In addition, it could catch fire. Backfeeding a panel with this vehicle, IMO, is not advisable. I have over 33 years in the electric industry…

Victron is high quality an makes a 3600W isolation transformer mostly used in boats. $600. It's used in boats primarily so that vessels can benefit from but not rely on the quality and wiring of shore power. My understanding is that an isolation transformer allows both sides to have its own bonded ground.

I'm not qualified to make a recommendation here. Just pointing anyone research this problem solutions in a direction.
That’s what I read too, but I didn’t see that one 👍🏼

Victron should have a good manual too. Dutch company. While most Victron electrical systems are installed by marine electricians, there is no technical staff on a 50 foot catamaran in the middle of the south pacific 10 days from shore.

Back