2024 landcruiser 1958 sold

DGK

📛 Founding Member
May 28, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
1958 landcruiser
I didn’t think I’d sell this vehicle because I loved it so much, but its the little things that started getting to me. This mostly pertains to the 1958.

Small infotainment
No lumbar support
Garbage rear camera quality
Vibrating side mirrors (seems to be all)
Hard erratic trans shifts (applies to all)
Clunky braking
Low speed throttle control
-Random low speed high rpms

Half these issues can be addressed with software and I hope they are, but I'm not going to cross my fingers as Toyota has a lot on there plate with all the Tundra issues. Also this same transmission is on the tacoma’s. We all know how many issues those are having.

For a car to be this new with erratic shifting issues is a bit scary. Feels like im playing Russian roulette with the transmission. Albeit I had warranty on it so it would have been fine regardless, but the stripped down 1958 just started feeling like a rip off the more i drove it. Its just not what you expect from a 60k car. I probably would have kept it longer if i had a higher trim.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I'm keeping my 58 until next year and then rethinking the 25 4runner or a Land Cruiser. I had been thinking of a GX550, but was just watching consumer reports first run - A lot of what they said echoes with me. the 3rd row is a waste, 2nd row really only seats 2 adults comfortably (somewhat). I didn't really find the GX luxurious when I drove it, but then again, I am more utilitarian. What really bothers me is the 25 4runner seats, when folded down, are offset from the cargo area by about 4" - the same amount as with the land cruiser and GX - rather than a completely flat cargo area.

Edit - I purchased mine as my Jeep Eco-Diesel had 141,000 miles and was going to need a new DPF ($3-4K) and EGR tubes and a few other pricey things. I had been looking and driving both GX and LC. My local dealer (Wife has had 2 highlanders from them over the last 18 years) had a 58 on the lot. I decided even though it wasn't a fully-dressed LC, I would just get it and keep it for a couple of years and make a longer-term decision on a Overtrail+ GX, LCFE, or new 4Runner.

Last edited:
I’m sorry your experience has not been good with the LC. I feel like something may be wrong with yours though. One of the things I have been most impressed with on this vehicle is the shifting. Mine has been buttery smooth and a GIANT improvement over my GX. I don’t even feel it shifting and I drive in the mountains and routinely make the trip from 5280’ elevation to 8600’. I have also towed a 4k camera and it was perfect. In fact, I am used to manually shifting on hills to be in the gear I needed to be in. At the beginning of my maiden towing voyage, I continued with this habit but then quickly realized it was no longer necessary on the LC 90% of the time.

The lack of basic options on the 1958 for $60k + would be bothersome and invoke buyer's remorse with me as well.

How did it do on the resale market?

The shifting I thought was quite seamless, but I feel you on the breaking, has been a mixed bag. It’s like you’re going over a hump or something coming down from 45mph to 0 at a stoplight sometimes. I assume the hybrid motor is trying to regenerate power or there’s still too much energy in the transmission when coming to a complete stop.

Not enough for me to sell, but it’s not perfect for sure.

I was originally thinking I wanted a 1958 until I saw the inside. There’s a certain kind of user who wants a vehicle that barebones at the price point, for sure.

It definitely seems like people’s reactions are influenced by the last vehicle they drove too.

I was also debating between the '58 and LCLC, and decided the '58 was a little too spartan for the price, whereas the LCLC feels like it's worth the asking price despite costing more. Most of with I could live with, but the tiny infotainment and door cards that have zero soft touch points was just a step to far.

Regarding the transmission, I have not driven the LC (only sat in a few presold units), but I drove my in-law's '24 tacoma ORP with the 8 speed (non hybrid) and thought the transmission was buttery smooth...it could be that yours wasn't running to spec. Did you ever get it checked out by the dealer?

Last edited:
On my LC it’s either 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd I can feel it shifting. Any other time it shifts it’s pretty smooth. The level of basic on the 58 drove me away from it. I got the LC with premium package. I came from a 19 4Runner.

I suspect the 1958 won't be popular due to the cost for barebones. Though you knew all that going in so I'm surprised to see a shift in thought 2 months later. We're you just caught up in the excitement?

I never really considered the 1958 because the LCLC is not much more and is much more appropriate for the price.

I'm not opposed to big screens and squishy surfaces, but there is a certain charm of more barebones vehicles, especially as they age. Personally, I prefer the aesthetics of the 1958, with its cloth seats, rim style, black accent across the tailgate, bare roof, and of course the round headlights.

Don't know why there is so much looking down on the 1958, I personally love mine. I wanted both the round headlights and cloth seats and have no need for a bigger info screen. Granted the lack of roof rails and weird tire size are odd, but both shortcomings are easily fixed. The way I look at it is that I used the $ 15,000 or so in 1958 savings to invest more in my favorite stock (Nvidia) and from my perspective that could by itself eventually pay for a big chunk of the vehicle cost (or not). To each their own.

Love your truck, or don’t. But don’t come on an enthusiast board and try to crap on everyone else’s good time. Most of us did the research and diligence and bought what we wanted. Don’t be that guy that shows up to a party and then loudly announces that he’s leaving because none of the girls are talking to him and they didn’t serve the exact beer he wanted. Just quietly show yourself to the exit and let the rest of us have our good time.

Last edited:
Not to crap on the OP, but my findings on the truck have been very different. I've broken mine in (1,750 miles; oil change M1 ESP 0w-30 @1k mark) and the transmission and engine combo is adequately refined. The chassis is quiet, comfortable and noise/rattle free. That torque curve is wonderful even with the size of the thing. MPG with my usage is nowhere near the sticker claims but I'm ok with that given all I'm getting in return.

The rest are trim-related.

Not to crap on the OP, but my findings on the truck have been very different. I've broken mine in (1,750 miles; oil change M1 ESP 0w-30 @1k mark) and the transmission and engine combo is adequately refined. The chassis is quiet, comfortable and noise/rattle free. That torque curve is wonderful even with the size of the thing. MPG with my usage is nowhere near the sticker claims but I'm ok with that given all I'm getting in return.

The rest are trim-related.
Why did you use wrong grade engine oil?

Why did you use wrong grade engine oil?
Not in my book. We don't get freezing temps and get 110+ on summer days, I drive without consideration to economy and like moving with the flow of traffic, plus I standardized with the rest of the cars in the household.

Back