18" vs 20" wheels on the Land Cruiser mid-trim w/ premium package

Markarian421

📛 Founding Member
Mar 8, 2024
Media
SFBay CA
Vehicles
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2023 Volvo S60 T8
This is a regional question: where is Toyota only shipping Premium package Land Cruisers with 20" wheels vs. 18" wheels?

I'm in the SFBay area, and I haven't seen (in person or on Toyota's site) a local premium package LC w/o 20" wheels, salespeople I've asked have unanimously said they have no choice on that. When I was in New Mexico not long ago I happened to check what was incoming to dealers there, and all the premium package LCs there had 18" wheels. This morning I thought to check the Reno area in Nevada, thinking surely it would be pretty much the same as the bay area. Nope, the ones I checked all came with 18" wheels. Edit: Flagstaff Arizona also has 18" wheels.

If it was dealer greed, I'm pretty sure I'd be seeing a mix between dealers no matter where I look, but it seems pretty uniform within any region. This has me wondering, is Toyota intentionally not sending 20" wheels to more rural states or areas because (having grown up in a rural area) those folks will just laugh at those wheels for being entirely inappropriate on that kind of vehicle? And only shipping them to places they think the LCs will mostly end up as mall crawlers? (And also, this has wondering if I could make a nice weekend trip to the Sierras out of buying a Land Cruiser in Reno . . .)

(Window stickers attached as examples, I have no idea what the dealer asking price or current availability on any of those vehicles are.)

Attachments

• Reno.pdf
    391.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Albuqueque.pdf
    391.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Flagstaff.pdf
    391.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I’m in northern Maine, verrrry rural area considered the New England region for Toyota. Closest dealer to me is 80 miles, next closest one is 200 miles. My dealer said Toyota is putting 20’s on all the premies going to him. I don’t really understand it because 20’s aren’t part of the premie package. It would seem that 18’s are standard and 20’s are optional upgrade because they are more $$$. I’m sure they have a reason for it.

I’m in northern Maine, verrrry rural area considered the New England region for Toyota. Closest dealer to me is 80 miles, next closest one is 200 miles. My dealer said Toyota is putting 20’s on all the premies going to him. I don’t really understand it because 20’s aren’t part of the premie package. It would seem that 18’s are standard and 20’s are optional upgrade because they are more $$$. I’m sure they have a reason for it.
In the FJ era, for years Toyota would not allocate any manual transmission FJs to northern California. For reasons known only to Toyota. I had to go down to the LA area to buy one. I'm guessing this is the same kind of puzzling Toyota regional decision.

LC Premium gets 20” wheels (standard package) in Canada….fwiw

I gave up looking for a LC Premium without 20" wheels in the Northeast.. never saw a single one. Just figured in the cost of wheel and tire change to the car.

I gave up looking for a LC Premium without 20" wheels in the Northeast.. never saw a single one. Just figured in the cost of wheel and tire change to the car.
I got some off a fe I’ll put on my premie for the winter. Black instead of grey however.

We just received our LC with Premium Package last week in Northern California. It has 20" wheels, which were listed on the window sticker as factory installed. There was an additional charge, not part of the package.

We just received our LC with Premium Package last week in Northern California. It has 20" wheels, which were listed on the window sticker as factory installed. There was an additional charge, not part of the package.
Most of us getting premies are in the same boat

This is a regional question: where is Toyota only shipping Premium package Land Cruisers with 20" wheels vs. 18" wheels?

I'm in the SFBay area, and I haven't seen (in person or on Toyota's site) a local premium package LC w/o 20" wheels, salespeople I've asked have unanimously said they have no choice on that. When I was in New Mexico not long ago I happened to check what was incoming to dealers there, and all the premium package LCs there had 18" wheels. This morning I thought to check the Reno area in Nevada, thinking surely it would be pretty much the same as the bay area. Nope, the ones I checked all came with 18" wheels. Edit: Flagstaff Arizona also has 18" wheels.

If it was dealer greed, I'm pretty sure I'd be seeing a mix between dealers no matter where I look, but it seems pretty uniform within any region. This has me wondering, is Toyota intentionally not sending 20" wheels to more rural states or areas because (having grown up in a rural area) those folks will just laugh at those wheels for being entirely inappropriate on that kind of vehicle? And only shipping them to places they think the LCs will mostly end up as mall crawlers? (And also, this has wondering if I could make a nice weekend trip to the Sierras out of buying a Land Cruiser in Reno . . .)

(Window stickers attached as examples, I have no idea what the dealer asking price or current availability on any of those vehicles are.)
Here in Ohio the 20" wheels are a add on to the premium package.

Here in Ohio the 20" wheels are an add on to the premium package.
It is an add on all over. Seems like most of the premium packages also have the upgraded and added 20 inch wheels. Personally I think the 20 inch wheels are awesome looking.

If you live in an area where people actually air down you will probably find 18" wheels. 20" Wheels added as an option is done by Toyota, not the dealer.

In Toyota's view people who air down want the First Edition.

Yeah, I never saw any LC LCs in NorCal with the premium package that didn't have the 20s either (both Markarian421 and I realize it's not actually part of the package but 100% of the time if there was a premium package there was always the extra cost of the 20" wheel set). FYI I called a dealer in Denver and they told me they wouldn't sell to someone out of state because they'd ultimately be punished and lose allocations if they did so. I know someone else mentioned they were told the same by a dealer out of state too but who knows if it's a crock of S*** or not.

Here in middle TN, my LCLC Premium Package came with 20” wheels.

Took delivery last week. 20” was the only thing available in Middle Tennessee for me. I would prefer 18”

Maybe I’ll be able to find a trade parter with a GX550 equipped with 18’s and ATs.

Here in New England I can only find LC with 20" wheels, regardless if they have the premium package or not. I looked for everything on Toyotas inventory website 500 miles around. The dealer couldn't find a LC with 18" either. We are talking about LC's with or without premium package and regardless if they are in build phase or on the lot (the ones on the lot are usually already reserved for a customer of course). 1958's are widely available and they have their 18" wheels with the 245 tires

Here in New England I can only find LC with 20" wheels, regardless if they have the premium package or not. I looked for everything on Toyotas inventory website 500 miles around. The dealer couldn't find a LC with 18" either. We are talking about LC's with or without premium package and regardless if they are in build phase or on the lot (the ones on the lot are usually already reserved for a customer of course). 1958's are widely available and they have their 18" wheels with the 245 tires
I’m in the New England region also and my dealer told me the same all lc/lc coming with 20”. It’s not a bad looking rim but I would like the 18” better and having to pay the $1240 for a rim upgrade, meh. I bought a set of take offs from an fe. I’ll use them for winter tires and the 20” in the summer

I’m in the New England region also and my dealer told me the same all lc/lc coming with 20”. It’s not a bad looking rim but I would like the 18” better and having to pay the $1240 for a rim upgrade, meh. I bought a set of take offs from an fe. I’ll use them for winter tires and the 20” in the summer
A lot of trouble just for summer. In New England summer is what, July 4?😂😂😂

I lived in Maine for 10 years and we had two seasons, winter and mud.

Back