Who is paying over MSRP?

GST dealers have gone "nuts", just got of the phone with a dealer in the Houston area, not even sure how they got my name and number, asking if I was still interested in a FE that was not pre-sold. I said sure what's the asking price, sales manger said make an offer. I offered 3k over MSRP, then he proceeded to tell me that all Texas Toyota dealers were going to sell at market price, which he stated was 100k+. After i stopped laughing at him, I hung up. WOW

Hey Dark horse
I agree with GST being the worst. 2/3 of Fe are unsold in Texas as dealers are waiting for it to arrive at dealership. Then they will set the market price.
They are hoping when seen and driven someone will bite at the crazy price.

I was going to pay $2500.00 after talking my dealer down from $5K over. They had promised me MSRP last August when I signed up with them. Well, I just found the identical FE from another dealership, arriving at the same time interval and AT MSPR. Guess what? I’m cancelling my order at $2500 above MSRP. We should not be gouged for wanting to be early adopters of these fine trucks. This is my second LC. Hope it lasts as long as the first one.

Took 2 months calling 30 different dealers to find a LC at MSRP, nabbed the allocation with a deposit. Had an agreed upon price sheet signed by the manager (taxes, fees, everything). I believe the dealer told me they'd had gotten the allocation the night before, so it really shows how on top of things you have to be. Smartpath on Toyota's Inventory system is your best friend until demand starts to weaken later in the year.

This was for a Mid-Level Trim with Premium Package.
Smart path is how I found a FE at MSPR.

GST dealers have gone "nuts", just got of the phone with a dealer in the Houston area, not even sure how they got my name and number, asking if I was still interested in a FE that was not pre-sold. I said sure what's the asking price, sales manger said make an offer. I offered 3k over MSRP, then he proceeded to tell me that all Texas Toyota dealers were going to sell at market price, which he stated was 100k+. After i stopped laughing at him, I hung up. WOW
Yeah, it’s the worst of the worst down here. I haven’t discussed price with my dealership but I work with the husband of one of the owner’s daughters, and I have bought from them before, so I think they will do right by me. They only got one FE allocated, I am shooting for mid trim. Of course GST hasn’t allocated any and I am sure it will come loaded with crap I don’t care about.

I kind of hate rewarding Toyota’s terrible system, but there isn’t another vehicle that hits the sweet spots of looking nice, being good off road, getting decent-ish gas mileage and being reliable.

That’s insane how much they think they can change customers. I was just offered $5k over in SoCal but I refused. I don’t need the LC now.

I was going to pay $2500.00 after talking my dealer down from $5K over. They had promised me MSRP last August when I signed up with them. Well, I just found the identical FE from another dealership, arriving at the same time interval and AT MSPR. Guess what? I’m cancelling my order at $2500 above MSRP. We should not be gouged for wanting to be early adopters of these fine trucks. This is my second LC. Hope it lasts as long as the first one.
Good for you! And I’m glad for you.

Thinking of getting my son who is just moving to montana for school, SR5 will this be the thing to get around in?
my 2020 ORP w/KDSS is great in the snow. My 99 SR5 5 speed wants to be in 4wd in snowy conditions. In 2WD it is skidish. New 5th gen should last awhile. They get about 20 mpg if not hammered. 2024s are being discounted now.

my 2020 ORP w/KDSS is great in the snow. My 99 SR5 5 speed wants to be in 4wd in snowy conditions. In 2WD it is skidish. New 5th gen should last awhile. They get about 20 mpg if not hammered. 2024s are being discounted now.
Ok that’s good - we are looking at an SR5 .. they are all at a premium still even used low mileage- I just looked up safety/crash test & then scrolled down and read the complaints (which is was very surprised by) and thought well that sucks because I don’t know another Reliable-SUV 4WD- to put him in - that’s funny I had a 99 as well it went forever and was still going when I gave it away- and I owned a 2012 OR and I loved both of them (wish I hadn’t looked up the safety) more than likely that’s what we are doing though- looking at Michelin X-ice Snow tire for it - do you have an opinion on that tire?
Anyway thanks for the input !!

Smart path is how I found a FE at MSPR.
Dr. M, I went through Smart path, and the ones showing up within 500 miles of me all show sales pending, with the exception of 1 dealership. I emailed them and got basically the same quote of $98,500, market price, for that kind of money I can get into a GX 550 Overtrail+. How do they know what market price is, they don't even have them on the lots yet. Emailed them back and said no thanks. It was a black on black, so not even a "premium" color. Sorry but in south Texas black on black doesn't work, way too hot for the 10 months of summer.

I'm on a waitlist, #20, at one of the dealers in North Texas. Really looking for a Land Cruiser model with premium package. At the speed of gulf states getting their vehicles, would it make more sense for me to try to get on a waitlist in a state like Colorado?

Hey little banana
I live in Texas too but on list only in Colorado because I hate GST. I didn’t realize that Colorado would get no many more LCs. Most dealers are MSRP only in Colorado. I agree with color choice too but remember that 40% of Fe are black. Black doesn’t work well with Texas heat.

Dr. M, I went through Smart path, and the ones showing up within 500 miles of me all show sales pending, with the exception of 1 dealership. I emailed them and got basically the same quote of $98,500, market price, for that kind of money I can get into a GX 550 Overtrail+. How do they know what market price is, they don't even have them on the lots yet. Emailed them back and said no thanks. It was a black on black, so not even a "premium" color. Sorry but in south Texas black on black doesn't work, way too hot for the 10 months of summer.
If you want one at MSRP, I would suggest looking at small town dealerships in areas of average affluence. And, locations where off roading is not a likely activity. Think Kansas, Iowa, etc. That has worked for me. Good luck!!

Just got a call from the Toyota of north Austin guy, who told me they sold their FE Land Cruiser for $100K. He told me that expect the new four runners by the fall and he doesn’t think those will be marked up.

I don’t really blame the dealerships for marking things up. If crazy people want to pay 100K for a vehicle the manufacturer tells you isn’t worth anywhere near that, that’s on the crazy people more than the dealership.

Just got a call from the Toyota of north Austin guy, who told me they sold their FE Land Cruiser for $100K. He told me that expect the new four runners by the fall and he doesn’t think those will be marked up.

I don’t really blame the dealerships for marking things up. If crazy people want to pay 100K for a vehicle the manufacturer tells you isn’t worth anywhere near that, that’s on the crazy people more than the dealership.
I see it a bit differently. These dealerships are supposed to be service organizations. And, they talk about “earning your business” all the time. In my view, they are gouging customers, just like so many other businesses, post-COVID. It is just not right. I will Never do business with the Toyota dealership that promised me MSRP and then asked for $5,000 over. Too many other choices around. Best of luck.

I see it a bit differently. These dealerships are supposed to be service organizations. And, they talk about “earning your business” all the time. In my view, they are gouging customers, just like so many other businesses, post-COVID. It is just not right. I will Never do business with the Toyota dealership that promised me MSRP and then asked for $5,000 over. Too many other choices around. Best of luck.
Totally agree about any dealership that lied to you. But if that’s not the case for these others, and I have no way of knowing, then there are lots of people who deserve more blame than the dealer: Toyota for the slow roll out, Gulf States for letting it happen, the people shelling out $100K for a four banger that’s mechanically identical to the new four runner. Plenty of blame to go around I guess.

I bet you the new 4Runner with Trd pro and trail hawk packages will come with markups too, At least in the first year. Any chance to gouge customers Toyota dealers will, especially in Texas.

Hey little banana
I live in Texas too but on list only in Colorado because I hate GST. I didn’t realize that Colorado would get no many more LCs. Most dealers are MSRP only in Colorado. I agree with color choice too but remember that 40% of Fe are black. Black doesn’t work well with Texas heat.
I actually do like the back color but open to all color options.
Gonna start calling some Colorado dealers

I bet you the new 4Runner with Trd pro and trail hawk packages will come with markups too, At least in the first year. Any chance to gouge customers Toyota dealers will, especially in Texas.
I don’t really like the way the new four runners look. Too many angles on the body work. I’m either getting a mid trim LC for manufacturer price in the next two months or I am just going to get a Z-71 Tahoe and say screw it. This has been an unpleasant experience for me with Toyota so far, pretty unimpressed with the roll out, the inability to specify what you want, etc.

I actually do like the back color but open to all color options.
Gonna start calling some Colorado dealers
little_banana, don't get me wrong, I like the look of the black, just here in south texas, our summer is 9 months long not 4-5, and it's hot!!. I had a 2016 black on black 4runner, loved it and the looks, just couldn't stand the heat after a long day at work.....

Back