2024 Land Cruiser require Premium Fuel?

Based on the manual, seems to me the regular gas is okay with a bit worse performance/efficiency). But with gasohol, you have to use 91 or higher.

Based on the manual, seems to me the regular gas is okay with a bit worse performance/efficiency). But with gasohol, you have to use 91 or higher.
It also says this:

IMG_0410.jpeg

What that is saying is that if you accidentally put regular in it for a bit, it might be fine because the engine can sense knocking and adjust timing to compensate.
But if you do it all the time, one of those knocks could be too big for the timing compensation to handle.

I think we should abide by the premium requirement and call it a day. It is after all a forced induction and high compression engine, whose operating condition typically calls for high octane fuel to prevent pre-ignition.

Some people risk their GX 460 v8 by putting regular in it, but that v8 is naturally aspirated so it's a totally different scenario.

What that is saying is that if you accidentally put regular in it for a bit, it might be fine because the engine can sense knocking and adjust timing to compensate.
But if you do it all the time, one of those knocks could be too big for the timing compensation to handle.

I think we should abide by the premium requirement and call it a day. It is after all a forced induction and high compression engine, whose operating condition typically calls for high octane fuel to prevent pre-ignition.

Some people risk their GX 460 v8 by putting regular in it, but that v8 is naturally aspirated so it's a totally different scenario.
“I think we should abide by the premium requirement and call it a day“

That is the part some members are saying it doesn’t require premium, which is not what I have seen so far. I agree with you.

I spent some time, but it was impossible to find which gasoline comply to ASTM D4814 the minimum rating indicated in the User Manual.

Tacoma iForce Max will get the same powertrain, power and torque rating. Interesting issue 🤕

It’s 2024 and we can’t figure out which octane of fuel a vehicle uses/needs.
The more things change the more they stay the same.
Lots of things don't make sense :D

WalMart can tell me how many toothpicks they have in Tupelo, Bakersfield, or London...While I'm in Oklahoma at 3AM, and do it in 10 seconds with no fuss.

If you want a $100,000 car though...Ford/GM/Toyota are like "We don't know when it was built (was it built? NO IDEA!), when it'll show up, or where it is. Like we don't even know the continent. Good luck."

Lots of things don't make sense :D

WalMart can tell me how many toothpicks they have in Tupelo, Bakersfield, or London...While I'm in Oklahoma at 3AM, and do it in 10 seconds with no fuss.

If you want a $100,000 car though...Ford/GM/Toyota are like "We don't know when it was built (was it built? NO IDEA!), when it'll show up, or where it is. Like we don't even know the continent. Good luck."
Truer words I know not.

My understanding is: the minimum requirement is the gasoline meets ASTM D4814. And 87 octane gasoline meets the standard as far as I know.
I'm not an expert (that's my out) but my interpretation is that ASTM D4814 is a general standard, and that likely all commercially/publicly sold 87, 89, 91 octane gas needs to comply with.

There are more specific standards that determine octane number... ASTM D2699 and ASTM D2700 are 2.

We can go on a few tangents in a hurry here... as there are many other gas standards out there for specific characteristics.

So, just like someone posted for the GX550, can someone please show me the gas cap or tank lid cover for the LC...anyone? I mean, how many (very good & fairly detailed) initial reviews are out there on youtube and not one of them thought to ask/confirm with the Toyota reps or flip the gas tank cover? Maybe the pre-production units didn't label this info either?? With the available OPs manual and physical units in the process of being shipped, we'll find out soon.

I went to the OK auto show last weekend, and there wasn't one there. There was a 550 though, and I climbed all through it.

More reason to belive it requires premium fuel. I guess we can’t stay in denial anymore.

what trim level and what are your impressions ?
Not sure what the trim level was, but it had all the goodies. Beautiful brown seats, third row...

My first thoughts:

It is larger than I expected. I know that it's barely bigger than a 4Runner on paper, but MAN does it not feel that way standing next to each of them. It had big wheels and those fenders bulge out a lot. It feels like the size of say a 2000's Tahoe.

Step-in height would probably be doable for somebody just under 6' if it didn't have giant step bars on it. When I say "doable", I mean I could get in and out without dragging my ass across the bolster to the point where it would trash it in a couple of years. The steps were big and stuck way out, so I had to stretch to clear them when getting in without using them. I hate step bars, so this is always something I check lol

Very subjective here, but the interior parts I was looking for (that'll measure out the same as a LC) were pretty much perfection to me. 100% loved the seating position, the dash size/height, the upright windshield, and holy crap are the door/window sills are the perfect height. Outstanding visibility and the hood view was awesome.

I fit well in the back seat (didn't try the third row) with plenty of room. I'd be comfortable on a road trip.

Overall, I'd never buy whatever tarted up Lexus trim that was, but I really liked the parts that will translate to the Toyota flavor, and I think the LC will be perfect for me, assuming I can get one at MSRP without having to travel across the country.

Ugghhhh, really like the styling and features of the new LC but premium fuel requirement might be a deal killer. A little bummed about that.

Back