2024 Land Cruiser require Premium Fuel?

The engines are, for most purposes, the same, but the software can be different between the two. It would be nice if Toyota came out and said that you could use 87 but the vehicle will only make X power. I haven't seen Toyota do that on an individual model in a long time, though. They effectively do this with the Highlander and RX. Same engine, different software. Highlander makes 265hp on 87 and RX makes 275hp on 91. But they still don't specifically call out that it is OK to run the RX on 87. It is still a little perplexing why the peak numbers are the same between the Tacoma Hybrid and Land Cruiser despite requesting different fuel.

IMO, you can run 87 on a Land Cruiser without it really being detrimental to the vehicle. That's up to each owner's risk tolerance, though.
That is fine and dandy to say and in theory maybe ok. But and there is always a but, it is stated in said manual that if there is engine damage and the correct fuel isn’t/hasn’t been used. Say bye bye to said warranty. I won’t take that risk on an $80,000 vehicle.

Then why does the LC require Premium fuel? I am so confused. Never believe what you read ony what you see?
That 2.4T for Tacoma is made in Alabama and for now it's used on Tacoma exclusively.
My speculation is that it's not exactly the same, most likely software tuning, but who knows, Tacoma 2.4T could have some hardware changes to allow for 87 to run safely.

That being said, if the 6th gen 4Runner is made in Japan, and they put the same 2.4T on Land Cruiser on it, we could see 4Runner (at least the hybrid version) requiring premium too.

That is fine and dandy to say and in theory maybe ok. But and there is always a but, it is stated in said manual that if there is engine damage and the correct fuel isn’t/hasn’t been used. Say bye bye to said warranty. I won’t take that risk on an $80,000 vehicle.
That’s why I said it is up to each owner’s risk tolerance.

I really do look forward to social media's response on this. I'm tempted to reach out to my dealer, but it seems we get more current info here then they do.

Personally, with the rising cost of gas, I am looking for my next car to be a nice middle ground between reasonable cost of gas (reasonable MPG) with decent power, and space in the back for my gardening habit. ;) LC seemed to fit the bill for all the things I am looking at.
Except, they "appeared" to put it back in the luxury category which is counter to the marketing preliminarily placed it.

I got gas today at my local Costco at 3.60/gal for standard. Premium was at 4.20/gal, and that's Costco.

I really do look forward to social media's response on this. I'm tempted to reach out to my dealer, but it seems we get more current info here then they do.

Personally, with the rising cost of gas, I am looking for my next car to be a nice middle ground between reasonable cost of gas (reasonable MPG) with decent power, and space in the back for my gardening habit. ;) LC seemed to fit the bill for all the things I am looking at.
Except, they "appeared" to put it back in the luxury category which is counter to the marketing preliminarily placed it.

I got gas today at my local Costco at 3.60/gal for standard. Premium was at 4.20/gal, and that's Costco.
I bet it's not gonna be a good response. Land Cruiser now joins Supra, GR Corolla, GT 86 as 4 of 30 Toyotas that require premium.
If you look at Lexus line up, there are just 3 of 20 Lexus that can take regular.
Looks like the iForce Max 2.4T on the Land Cruiser should belong in the Lexus camp, and my guess is that the hybrid version of the new GX might be using the same hybrid powertrain as the Land Cruiser, not the 3.5T iForce Max found on Tundra and Sequoia.

And you're in Washington, one of the highest gas tax states. No? Just my speculation on this forum.

Yeah, those gas prices are similar to my neck of the woods here in Canada (10-20% more for premium gas).

On the premium comment….the cloth seats are not a good fit for that…but hey….you get to fill up with premium gas.

On the marketing comment, as an engineer/engineering manager with product development experience, it looks like the marketing team for the LC got a bit ahead of the engineering team on a few things. Assuming things are on time & on budget I always like to aim to “under promise and over deliver”….not the other way around. Guess that’s why I’m not in marketing. 😊

I’m still interested in the LC, just my shopping list of vehicles will now increase a bit.

I bet it's not gonna be a good response. Land Cruiser now joins Supra, GR Corolla, GT 86 as 4 of 30 Toyotas that require premium.
If you look at Lexus line up, there are just 3 of 20 Lexus that can take regular.
Looks like the iForce Max 2.4T on the Land Cruiser should belong in the Lexus camp, and my guess is that the hybrid version of the new GX might be using the same hybrid powertrain as the Land Cruiser, not the 3.5T iForce Max found on Tundra and Sequoia.
Maybe it’s a Lexus in sheep's clothing , just remove the Toyota badging.

Maybe I just don't understand why this is such a big deal...Or maybe I'm just broken because my Tundra has averaged under 13MPG for the last 11 years...But If premium fuel costs 60 cents more per gallon, you get 25ish MPG, and drive 15k miles a year...What are we talking...Like $30-$35 a month in costs? Ballpark of $400 a year?

If that much money is a deal breaker to you, yet you're looking at $60,000 plus vehicles , maybe you should re-evaluate your vehicle purchasing paradigm.

Maybe I just don't understand why this is such a big deal...Or maybe I'm just broken because my Tundra has averaged under 13MPG for the last 11 years...But If premium fuel costs 60 cents more per gallon, you get 25ish MPG, and drive 15k miles a year...What are we talking...Like $30-$35 a month in costs? Ballpark of $400 a year?

If that much money is a deal breaker to you, yet you're looking at $60,000 plus vehicles , maybe you should re-evaluate your vehicle purchasing paradigm.
I can only speak for myself and your absolutely correct about what you're saying. For myself, and I'm going to assume most, the only thing it changes is making the choice between the LC and GX 550 MORE difficult

As the driver of a 15mpg Jeep, I agree with this.

With that said, there’s still a mental BS factor to the lack of transparency from Toyota’s marketing team - when it’s priced so closely to the GX (a luxury vehicle), but is billed as the everyday “affordable” platform.

Not a deal breaker, but still a little violating…

As the driver of a 15mpg Jeep, I agree with this.

With that said, there’s still a mental BS factor to the lack of transparency from Toyota’s marketing team - when it’s priced so closely to the GX (a luxury vehicle), but is billed as the everyday “affordable” platform.

Not a deal breaker, but still a little violating…
How are you getting 15 out of a Jeep? My Jeep gets about 7-8 MPG.

I mean, it's 30 years old, lifted, big tires, etc...But hey. :D

How are you getting 15 out of a Jeep? My Jeep gets about 7-8 MPG.

I mean, it's 30 years old, lifted, big tires, etc...But hey. :D
Haha - that’s highway at 60 mph. The 2” lift and 35s put it closer to 12-13 mpg around town.

I don't think it is a deal breaker in that people can't afford them. It's just paying attention to what things cost. Premium fuel is one of those death by 1000 cuts thing. Drive 100k miles and that is $2600. Invested that is $3600 over 7 years. Ton of money? Nope. But not nothing.

If I'm looking at two competitors and one requires premium while the other doesn't, I'm going to consider that in the decision making. $30/mo won't send me to the poor house, but I micromanage $30/mo bills in the rest of the household; why wouldn't I consider it in vehicle fuel costs? It's also stepping back and keeping an eye on the entire situation; avoiding mission creep. I kinda keep a self-imposed limit of what I'll tolerate as far as up front and operating costs on my vehicles. It makes me consider if I'm really getting the value that I'm paying for.

TBH, it is really unlikely that I'll end up with a Land Cruiser. I want one in a bad way, but my spreadsheet brain probably won't let it happen because a 4Runner will probably cost less, depreciate less, and deliver 95% of the experience.

Last edited:
I don't think it is a deal breaker in that people can't afford them. It's just paying attention to what things cost. Premium fuel is one of those death by 1000 cuts thing. Drive 100k miles and that is $2600. Invested that is $3600 over 7 years. Ton of money? Nope. But not nothing.

If I'm looking at two competitors and one requires premium while the other doesn't, I'm going to consider that in the decision making. $30/mo won't send me to the poor house, but I micromanage $30/mo bills in the rest of the household; why wouldn't I consider it in vehicle fuel costs? It's also stepping back and keeping an eye on the entire situation; avoiding mission creep. I kinda keep a self-imposed limit of what I'll tolerate as far as up front and operating costs on my vehicles. It makes me consider if I'm really getting the value that I'm paying for.

TBH, it is really unlikely that I'll end up with a Land Cruiser. I want one in a bad way, but my spreadsheet brain probably won't let it happen because a 4Runner will probably cost less, depreciate less, and delivery 95% of the experience.
My wife and I have been spending so far under our income for so long, maybe I've just lost touch LOL...I guess I'm just surprised that people would consider this a deal breaker in a vehicle at this price point.

My wife and I have been spending so far under our income for so long, maybe I've just lost touch LOL...I guess I'm just surprised that people would consider this a deal breaker in a vehicle at this price point.
I mean, I paid my house off at 39 and I’m on track to semi-retire at 48. I’d estimate that I live below my means as well. It’s just part of the decision making matrix and considering total cost of ownership. Not saying I wouldn’t buy due to premium requirement, but I’ll ponder it a lot more. When the thinking was regular and much better fuel efficiency than the GX550, it was a slam dunk for me.

My completely loaded physician brother that lives waaaaay below his means wants a Land Cruiser. When I mentioned premium I could hear the annoyance in his voice. We can’t help but to be thrifty even when we are splurging on expensive vehicles and bicycles. It’s how we were raised.

Last edited:
I mean, I paid my house off at 39 and I’m on track to semi-retire at 48. I’d estimate that I live below my means as well. It’s just part of the decision making matrix and considering total cost of ownership. Not saying I wouldn’t buy due to premium requirement, but I’ll ponder it a lot more. When the thinking was regular and much better fuel efficiency than the GX550, it was a slam dunk for me.

My completely loaded physician brother that lives waaaaay below his means wants a Land Cruiser. When I mentioned premium I could hear the annoyance in his voice. We can’t help but to be thrifty even when we are splurging on expensive vehicles and bicycles. It’s how we were raised.

To each their own :)

I won't blink twice over the cost of premium fuel, but the cargo/storage configuration might be infuriating enough for me to pass on the LC. The idiotic third row/cargo area on the Sequoia was the main reason it was removed from my list. I'm on that soapbox several times already on this forum...I'll stay off of it for now LOL

I heard this 870 times in my life. "come on, if you drive a 30k, 40k, 50K.... car (evolution in time) what's the problem to pay double on fuel, insurance, maintenance......??"

Well, it is a big issue. No matter our means we will hopefully never purchase luxury cars.

Now, there is another question. In 2024, a 60k car is it luxury or not ?

I heard this 870 times in my life. "come on, if you drive a 30k, 40k, 50K.... car (evolution in time) what's the problem to pay double on fuel, insurance, maintenance......??"

Well, it is a big issue. No matter our means we will hopefully never purchase luxury cars.

Now, there is another question. In 2024, a 60k car is it luxury or not ?
Well said. At some point you have to say is this worth all the hype, is the value there, am i just a cog for Toyota to turn turn turn.

I've had my Jeep for 30 years. I've had my Tundra 11 years. I keep my stuff long enough that slightly more expensive fuel isn't much money compared to how much I save by not buying new cars every 2-5 years. I'm 100% fine with the premium hit. Even if I wanted to be upset about premium fuel, the fact that I've been driving at 12.9 MPG for 170,000 miles would reel me back in LOL. Almost anything I buy will be cheaper to drive than my Tundra. But that's my brain, y'all's is obviously wired a bit different :)

Is it luxury? Compared to a 2013 Tundra, I would say yes lol. Compared to a decked out Nissan Rogue? That's a steeper hill to climb. That Rogue has close to, if not more luxury than the FE LC will have. Cooled seats, HUD and everything else in that car and it costs mid 30s right now (mother in law just bought one) and there are piles of them on lots. Will that CVT last 10 years? Maybe. Will it be worth more than $8 and a half eaten snickers in 10 years? Very doubtful. But that is a nice a$$ car for now. I would NOT call that a luxury car. I guess it kind of depends on what your definition of luxury is :D

Back