Wonderful engine just love this thing.

Buckfever

📛 Founding Member
Apr 12, 2024
Media
Lake County, IL
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Been getting more time on the highway and we're still in the break in period so not pushing it, but it is just wonderful. Now don't get me wrong it's not fast per say it's just that the torque is so readily available that it makes ii so responsive. I would imagine that it depends on your driving style and I'm not a fast driver, but I want it to do what I want it to do and this engine just responds. It is such a joy to drive. I don't know how confident I feel about how the long turn durability will work out, there's a lot of stuff going on here. I am kind of thinking that the TTV6 will likely be more durable, but this hybrid is really something.

I think that Toyota has been in the hybrid game long enough that I don’t have many concerns on longevity with this engine, I don’t think they used a lot of ground breaking tech in this setup. Provided the transmission proves to be reliable I feel pretty good about this setup when compared to the TTV6

I agree with both posts above. I was a skeptic at first, but after several trips and all types of driving conditions, I have to say that this power train is very good. Not quite as smooth as the V8, but the fuel economy has me forgetting that...I'm now at 24 +/- mpg. The only unknown for me is my hope we can get 200K+ miles on this vehicle.

I don't think Toyota will disappoint us...especially in the Land Cruiser...

I love the zoom but wish it had more growl. Which is another way of saying that there is plenty of go in normal driving situations as opposed to some artificial foot to the floor 0-60 test, I mean really who drives like that anyway? But the sound is lacking in almost all situations and I do miss that.

Love how this drives and handles. I came from a truck and this handles way better. I saw a video of someone talking about body roll making it scary? I do not experience that at all. It handles so much better then what I am used to coming from full size V8 truck platform. The engine has plenty of get up and go for me almost the same as my V8 I traded in. I so far have found no complaints on this rig so it surprises me when I read other peoples complaints. I have nothing but complete positives to say about it.

Just got my Land Cruiser about 10 days ago. I did a trip from nyc up to pa 200 miles and very impressed. Comfortable quiet cool box is a huge plus.

I’m really loving the engine also. I’m at over 3k miles now. Just took it over and back on Sonora Pass in the Sierras. The ride back up the pass was fun, something i wouldn’t say in my old 100 or my Tundra V8. Zipped right up the pass after the hairpin turns. Impressed me. Hope the reliability and longetivity is the same as I’ve experienced with all my other Toyotas.

The powertrain on the LC was (for me) the biggest question mark. 6k miles in, any and all reservations I have on this thing is gone. Ergonomics are perfect, well thought out controls, features and configuration. Nice job, Toyota.

I love that it's quiet and just MOVES. It will certainly never be accused of its bark being worse than its bite. Quite the opposite, actually.

Love how this drives and handles. I came from a truck and this handles way better. I saw a video of someone talking about body roll making it scary? I do not experience that at all. It handles so much better then what I am used to coming from full size V8 truck platform. The engine has plenty of get up and go for me almost the same as my V8 I traded in. I so far have found no complaints on this rig so it surprises me when I read other peoples complaints. I have nothing but complete positives to say about it.
It’s all a matter of what car you drive up in. I think the people complaining about body roll on these are an accustomed to a sedan or a highway focused SUV.

I’ll just pile on here - was back in Oregon for a 9 day vacation visiting family and drove this chevy equinox rental all over. It was awful. Got back home last night and just driving my LC home from the airport was heaven. Love the engine. Love the comfort and feel. The body roll is just from the body on frame design.If you dont like it then yeah youve probably been driving an Audi suv or kia telluride or something. Coming from an F-150 I’m just used to it.

We are all piling on here but there is something to this truck. Picked mine up a little over a week ago. Still driving conservatively and in ECO mode with 750 miles, but still ample power when needed and the most enjoyable vehicle I think I have ever driven. Even after driving the Lexus GX470 with that V8 for many years. I was apprehensive about all the technology, but it too is growing on me and adds to the ease of driving this Land Cruiser.

I’ve had mine for a bit over a month and have 1100+ miles on it. All manner of driving. It continues to impress in nearly every way: it’s quiet riding (except when on the interstate with a cross-wind; then I really hear the resistance from the roof rack/rails (LCLC trim). It’s zippy around town, easy to park and never lacks for throttle response. Where it really earns its premium fuel is on the interstate and I need to make a quick pass—it jumps from 70-80mph so fast and without complaint. I just love it so far. I’ve never owned a “car” (trucks and Jeeps for me) so I am accustomed to a body-on-frame ride, and this thing is the nicest I’ve had. And I absolutely love the way my 2015 F150 EcoBoost drives so that’s high praise for the LC.

I think that Toyota has been in the hybrid game long enough that I don’t have many concerns on longevity with this engine, I don’t think they used a lot of ground breaking tech in this setup. Provided the transmission proves to be reliable I feel pretty good about this setup when compared to the TTV6
Agreed.

I like it quiet and never liked growl :)
Ditto here. The Tacoma's have a fake engine noise coming out of the speakers. I didn't know it for a while until I finally saw the Carista mentions, which I didn't even know existed.
So that was the first thing I killed in my truck was that fake engine noise.

I'm only up to 460 miles. I got a new rescue dog otherwise I would've had that thing broken in in a week.
(Sure is weird putting the word "in" two times in a row. Sure we all speak that but to see it in print is weird.)

Today I got my best mpg to date: 21.5mpg over approximately 30 miles, across a mountain pass on the interstate at speeds from 65-80mph. Normal mode.

It’s getting better!

I only have 506 miles on my new Land Cruiser and so far the driving experience has been fantastic.

When I first heard that the new Land Cruiser was going to get a 4-cylinder hybrid system in North America I was a bit skeptical. One of the main reasons I wanted a Land Cruiser was Toyota’s legendary reliability, and given that they pioneered the mainstream application of hybrid systems in automobiles, I wasn’t too worried about that. What did worry me was the ability of the hybrid system to adequately power a vehicle of this size and I have been pleasantly surprised. Acceleration from a standstill is smooth and more than adequate. The way that the electric motor seamlessly kicks in (augmenting the ICE) to help motivate the vehicle when accelerating at speed gives the impression of a much larger traditional engine.

I really like this power unit and how they have applied it for use in this vehicle.

Back