Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto connection reliability?

kdirks

📛 Founding Member
Jun 28, 2024
Media
Austin, TX
Vehicles
24 Land Cruiser Premium
For any of the CarPlay/Android Auto users, how reliable is the wireless connection? Even with a cable it frequently drops and reconnects in my ‘22 4Runner.

And how quickly does it automatically connect after starting the vehicle?

For any of the CarPlay/Android Auto users, how reliable is the wireless connection? Even with a cable it frequently drops and reconnects in my ‘22 4Runner.

And how quickly does it automatically connect after starting the vehicle?
I use CarPlay daily and wirelessly on my vehicles. It never drops, but it will occasionally take a moment or two to connect. When that happens I find turning off the vehicle and waiting 30 seconds clears whatever the issue was.

There have been a few times where I have lost internet signal and had to rely on my vehicles navigation and radio for a bit, but CarPlay never disconnected. The signal loss was in a really remote area.

Last edited:
One Carplay issue I found:

-When you remote start your LC with APP, carplay would NOT connect when you step into your vehicle. I had to manually connect thru phone function on screen...EVERYTIME!!!

-When you remote start your LC with APP, carplay would NOT connect when you step into your vehicle. I had to manually connect thru phone function on screen...EVERYTIME!!!
What happens if you connect then step out of and away from the LC for a minute or so, does it reconnect when you get back in? (I’m an engineer and trying to debug vicariously through you 😁)

That certainly sounds like a software bug then.
Apparently, it is a Toyota thing in general. If you use a wired connection it works as it should. Wireless doesn’t. I just spoke to my sales guy and he said it’s a common complaint. I wish I would have known before I purchased the vehicle.

From previous wireless carplay/Android auto vehicles, they first search for that connection, and if its not there it goes on to the 2nd priority... I wouldnt assume it keeps searching for that first connection if it may never be present. Just assumes it isnt there and moves on.

I have this same issue. It gets annoying because i remote start my car almost exclusively to let it cool down so my newborn is comfortable.

From previous wireless carplay/Android auto vehicles, they first search for that connection, and if its not there it goes on to the 2nd priority... I wouldnt assume it keeps searching for that first connection if it may never be present. Just assumes it isnt there and moves on.
I absolutely agree that that is what is happening but it would not be to difficult to poll for a new device every 30 seconds or so. We do that in computer systems and mobile devices all the time.

Anyone using wireless android auto?
In my country it's specified that in 2024 lc we have only apple carplay wireless while android auto is wired.
And yes I can't use it wireless.
While in US you seem to have android wireless. Is that true?
How do you guys think if can be reprogrammed? Hate wires...

Last edited:
I have pretty frequent connection issues to wireless android auto. I would say 3-4 times a week. I simply just plug in when it does not connect. My previous vehicle had seldom connection problems.

I used a cheap wireless CarPlay dongle in my Tahoe for a while. It would disconnect occasionally and allow some interference. Eventually I began to notice it was doing these things predictably in certain locations. I never figured out what specifically was causing the issues but I could drive along the highway and guess when my CarPlay was going to drop with accuracy to a few seconds.

So my cheap dongle was susceptible to external interference from something. Maybe legit OEM wireless connections are too, if the external interference is strong enough.

F me I thought I was losing my mind THANK YOU I had not put 2 and 2 together on that one.

Back