Winterize Land Cruiser

1. Tires - unless the snow is insanely crazy, you should be fine - just drive with caution. If you want to, buy a seat of tires with the three-peak rating and sell your stock tires. The difference won't be $1000
2. Bear mace!
The problem up here in Alberta (I live an hour from Banff) is not the snow, it's the ice and the cold. Winter temps around Xmas time can be easily in the minus 20's or 30's C (-4 to -22 F). All season compounds get very hard and lose most of their braking and turning performance. You actually get better grip in the snow when it's that cold. I'd highly recommend a good set of winter tires. And if you buy them here, they might be a deal with our pathetic dollar.

In the car manual, it states to only use chains on the rear wheels

IMG_3337.jpeg

install chains on rear wheel only, do not install on front wheel

I gotta say, the only time I have seen chains used in Canada are on logging trucks, or oilfield equipment. I have always been confused by the American use of them on private vehicles, but I guess if you live in a climate where winter tires make no sense (west coast) and you go to elevation to ski, there is a use case for them. Winter tires are the cheapest insurance you can buy in Canada.

I gotta say, the only time I have seen chains used in Canada are on logging trucks, or oilfield equipment. I have always been confused by the American use of them on private vehicles, but I guess if you live in a climate where winter tires make no sense (west coast) and you go to elevation to ski, there is a use case for them. Winter tires are the cheapest insurance you can buy in Canada.
In Canada when it gets cold, it will get COLD. In US, many areas temperature could fluctuate from 60F - 10F within the same week. (I saw it at Denver before the temperature drop 50F in the same day) To be honest I would expect in the costal area like Vancouver metro area similar fluctuation is not rare.

I’ve done a winter in my outback. The issue is never settling in for the night (just add more or heated blankets), but rather getting up in the morning.

It’s absurd that remote start won’t work with key in car or windows cracked. So your only options to avoid hating life in the morning are an after market auto starter or to leave the car running (legality varies but find some blm land and I doubt you’ll ever be bothered).

I would just run the climate control if temperatures outside fall outside 80°-40°

I’ve done a winter in my outback. The issue is never settling in for the night (just add more or heated blankets), but rather getting up in the morning.

It’s absurd that remote start won’t work with key in car or windows cracked. So your only options to avoid hating life in the morning are an after market auto starter or to leave the car running (legality varies but find some blm land and I doubt you’ll ever be bothered).

I would just run the climate control if temperatures outside fall outside 80°-40°
I’m not sure if this is related to trim levels, but my LCFE can auto start off the key fob. Just used it repeatedly this past weekend in the mountains to heat the cabin a bit before getting out of the bag. Temps in low 30s. Press lock button twice and then hold it down until engine starts.

I’m not sure if this is related to trim levels, but my LCFE can auto start off the key fob. Just used it repeatedly this past weekend in the mountains to heat the cabin a bit before getting out of the bag. Temps in low 30s. Press lock button twice and then hold it down until engine starts.
Huh, just tried it now and it worked. Wonder why it didn’t before… maybe because I had the spare key in there and now I don’t. Oh well, super good to know.

With the starting sequence of LC, I doubt you will ever need to worry about temperature related engine start issue. If temperature drop to a level that you can’t squeeze out any juice from your lead acid, you will likely have other issue to worry about first.

With the starting sequence of LC, I doubt you will ever need to worry about temperature related engine start issue. If temperature drop to a level that you can’t squeeze out any juice from your lead acid, you will likely have other issue to worry about first.
Think you’re missing the point, just talking about doing a remote start using the key fob. This is useful in any number of scenarios, but my recent use case was the ability to warm up the cabin from where I was sleeping in the rear cargo area in the morning. Didn’t need to get out of my sleeping bag until the cabin was a balmy 68 degrees.

Back