Winterize Land Cruiser

1. Tires - unless the snow is insanely crazy, you should be fine - just drive with caution. If you want to, buy a seat of tires with the three-peak rating and sell your stock tires. The difference won't be $1000
2. Bear mace!
The problem up here in Alberta (I live an hour from Banff) is not the snow, it's the ice and the cold. Winter temps around Xmas time can be easily in the minus 20's or 30's C (-4 to -22 F). All season compounds get very hard and lose most of their braking and turning performance. You actually get better grip in the snow when it's that cold. I'd highly recommend a good set of winter tires. And if you buy them here, they might be a deal with our pathetic dollar.

In the car manual, it states to only use chains on the rear wheels

IMG_3337.jpeg

install chains on rear wheel only, do not install on front wheel

I gotta say, the only time I have seen chains used in Canada are on logging trucks, or oilfield equipment. I have always been confused by the American use of them on private vehicles, but I guess if you live in a climate where winter tires make no sense (west coast) and you go to elevation to ski, there is a use case for them. Winter tires are the cheapest insurance you can buy in Canada.

Back