Winterize Land Cruiser

Marinna

📛 Founding Member
Jun 18, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
I am planning a road trip in Canadian Rockies (Banff and Jasper mostly) in the coming Xmas. So I am currently listing all the needed preparation for the trip. This is my current TODO:

1. Tire
I am still on my stock tire. I don’t really want to buy a new set of winter tires since I am really a part timer. So options I am thinking is to use tire socks and/or tire cable. One is to get traction and another is to break the car. Though I am not sure with the AWD on LC whether I can put different traction device on front and rear axels. I never use Toyota’s multi-terrain system so I want to use the chance to test it in the wild.

2. Backup Fuel and Battery
I have a rotopax mount on the roof and a lithium power station in the car. Given the special hybrid power train in LC I think the car shouldn’t get into a situation that it can’t be powered on. For the worst case if it really get super cold jumping start the 12V should still be super easy I think. The spare is in case I got trapped somewhere that I need extended stay or source of power.

3. Temperature Protection
I am not sure whether I really need additional insulation to the wall and cargo floor for me to sleep in the car. I plan to have memory foam mattress, electrical blanket and sleeping bag to keep me warm at night.

4. Comm
I usually carry my Garmin InReach Mini. But since iPhone start to support satellite messaging I will use this trip to do some test before I completely drop my Garmin plan.

5. Gadgets
Cameras, backpack, flashlight, probably have to drop drone given I will be in national park…
I plan to carry my MaxTrax and shovel just in case for self rescue. Canadian Rockies is the only place I ever got myself trapped in deep snow from before.
I still don’t have a good option to defend myself from wolf pack, given Canada doesn’t allow firearm. I was surrounded by a pack about 7-8 years ago, only luckily escaped from them with some help.

What is your preparation for your winter fun with your LC?

Last edited:
Good list.

Undercarriage protection like cosmoline, fluidfilm, etc to protect against rust.

I would get a hand cranked winch for any emergencies, with necessary straps, hooks etc.

Also bear mace for wildlife. It should work fine on wolfs, cougars, moose etc. Just don’t accidentally spray yourself.

Good list.

Undercarriage protection like cosmoline, fluidfilm, etc to protect against rust.
I plan to do a (under) car wash after getting out of snow. How these cosmoline spray works? Can it last for a few weeks driving in snow?

I am planning a road trip in Canadian Rockies (Banff and Jasper mostly) in the coming Xmas. So I am currently listing all the needed preparation for the trip. This is my current TODO:

1. Tire
I am still on my stock tire. I don’t really want to buy a new set of winter tires since I am really a part timer. So options I am thinking is to use tire socks and/or tire cable. One is to get traction and another is to break the car. Though I am not sure with the AWD on LC whether I can put different traction device on front and rear axels. I never use Toyota’s multi-terrain system so I want to use the chance to test it in the wild.

2. Backup Fuel and Battery
I have a rotopax mount on the roof and a lithium power station in the car. Given the special hybrid power train in LC I think the car shouldn’t get into a situation that it can’t be powered on. For the worst case if it really get super cold jumping start the 12V should still be super easy I think. The spare is in case I got trapped somewhere that I need extended stay or source of power.

I am not sure whether I really need additional insulation to the wall and cargo floor for me to sleep in the car. I plan to have memory foam mattress, electrical blanket and sleeping bag to keep me warm at night.

4. Comm
I usually carry my Garmin InReach Mini. But since iPhone start to support satellite messaging I will use this trip to do some test before I completely drop my Garmin plan.

5. Gadgets
Cameras, backpack, flashlight, probably have to drop drone given I will be in national park…
I plan to carry my MaxTrax and shovel just in case for self rescue. Canadian Rockies is the only place I ever got myself trapped in deep snow from before.
I still don’t have a good option to defend myself from wolf pack, given Canada doesn’t allow firearm. I was surrounded by a pack about 7-8 years ago, only luckily escaped from them with some help.

If by “stock tire” you mean the Michelin LTX Trail, I personally wouldn’t use them even in Vermont winters. No substitute for good snow tires, especially where you are headed. Drove from Calgary to Revelstoke Ski Resort and back last winter in a rental SUV with all season tires and will never do that again….
Safe travels!

If by “stock tire” you mean the Michelin LTX Trail, I personally wouldn’t use them even in Vermont winters. No substitute for good snow tires, especially where you are headed. Drove from Calgary to Revelstoke Ski Resort and back last winter in a rental SUV with all season tires and will never do that again….
Safe travels!
This is a dilemma for me. Yes I could spend $1000 to get a set of winter tire for a trip I only do every 3-4 years. Not only it will be very expensive but also I don’t have a storage for these tires so if I go to these public storage it will be another $50-70 a month.
I do drive in these areas in rental car before too. Usually they plow highway 1 fairly quick, and I will have to avoid go to these areas where it snows hard. It is very weather dependent for sure

I would get a hand cranked winch for any emergencies, with necessary straps, hooks etc.

Also bear mace for wildlife. It should work fine on wolfs, cougars, moose etc. Just don’t accidentally spray yourself.
I wonder if the gel paper spray is better? Less likely to spray yourself. Not as much range though.

This is a dilemma for me. Yes I could spend $1000 to get a set of winter tire for a trip I only do every 3-4 years. Not only it will be very expensive but also I don’t have a storage for these tires so if I go to these public storage it will be another $50-70 a month.
I do drive in these areas in rental car before too. Usually they plow highway 1 fairly quick, and I will have to avoid go to these areas where it snows hard. It is very weather dependent for sure
If you can only have one set of tires, I'd at least get something better in winter and all around conditions. Nokian Outpost nAT maybe?

I plan to do a (under) car wash after getting out of snow. How these cosmoline spray works? Can it last for a few weeks driving in snow?

Cosmoline is semi permanent so it’ll protect your car for years with minimal touch-up required. I use it on every car because I live in the northeast where roads are salted and brined.

If you rarely drive in those conditions, then underside wash is fine. Use a marine desalter first and then rinse with water.

1. Tire

… dedicated snow/ice tires. … or at least 3 peak mountain snow rating.. (TOYO OPEN COUNTRY ATIII’s, or the equivalent.)

Last edited:

8-9 years ago I did extended camping in my ‘15 high roof, long wheelbase, extended body Ford 350 Transit prior to converting the cargo van to a camper. I used two of those self inflating 3” insulated mattresses(REI), on a wide cot (Cabela’s). I kept warm at night simply using 3 or 4 fleece blankets, folded up to give 6-8 layers. I didn’t even use my down sleeping bag. Slept in my birthday suit, snug as a bug in a rug, in 10°-15° F temps. I was so warm, that I had to stick a foot outside of my caccoon to not get so hot. If you get snowed in, the snow will insulate your LC from subfreezing temps.

Last edited:

Byrna.com

Byrna.com
Is this thing legal in Canadian National Park? I know many US National Park has rule against these type of stuff. Only real gun carry is legal in U.S., not fake gun. (very twisted rule…) I would only imagine Canadian are more restrictive.

I would just buy tire chains. Buy two sets if you want redundancy in case one chain breaks. Chains will outperform any winter tire.

I would practice putting them on though.

I would just buy tire chains. Buy two sets if you want redundancy in case one chain breaks. Chains will outperform any winter tire.

I am curious how well will Toyota MTS system works with or without additional traction devices.

Is this thing legal in Canadian National Park? I know many US National Park has rule against these type of stuff. Only real gun carry is legal in U.S., not fake gun. (very twisted rule…) I would only imagine Canadian are more restrictive.
I would ask the folks on the website. I am sure that they would know.

These are 100% legal in the US of A, everywhere.

And chains only allow you to go 10-20 mph, at most. They are illegal in some areas due to the damage that they do the roads/highways. I don’t know what the Toyota manual says about them.

You’ll be fine. Just pay attention to the weather forecast and be ready to adjust plans.

This is a very popular year round tourist destination. You will be in a 4WD with presumably pretty fresh all seasons. Send it.

I’d be more concerned about the drive there and back, in particular coming from the west.

Either way, I’m sure Tahoe will give you a chance to practice and dial things in ahead of your trip!

Back