Winterize Land Cruiser

Marinna

📛 Founding Member
Jun 18, 2024
Media
California
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser
I am planning a road trip in Canadian Rockies (Banff and Jasper mostly) in the coming Xmas. So I am currently listing all the needed preparation for the trip. This is my current TODO:

1. Tire
I am still on my stock tire. I don’t really want to buy a new set of winter tires since I am really a part timer. So options I am thinking is to use tire socks and/or tire cable. One is to get traction and another is to break the car. Though I am not sure with the AWD on LC whether I can put different traction device on front and rear axels. I never use Toyota’s multi-terrain system so I want to use the chance to test it in the wild.

2. Backup Fuel and Battery
I have a rotopax mount on the roof and a lithium power station in the car. Given the special hybrid power train in LC I think the car shouldn’t get into a situation that it can’t be powered on. For the worst case if it really get super cold jumping start the 12V should still be super easy I think. The spare is in case I got trapped somewhere that I need extended stay or source of power.

3. Temperature Protection
I am not sure whether I really need additional insulation to the wall and cargo floor for me to sleep in the car. I plan to have memory foam mattress, electrical blanket and sleeping bag to keep me warm at night.

4. Comm
I usually carry my Garmin InReach Mini. But since iPhone start to support satellite messaging I will use this trip to do some test before I completely drop my Garmin plan.

5. Gadgets
Cameras, backpack, flashlight, probably have to drop drone given I will be in national park…
I plan to carry my MaxTrax and shovel just in case for self rescue. Canadian Rockies is the only place I ever got myself trapped in deep snow from before.
I still don’t have a good option to defend myself from wolf pack, given Canada doesn’t allow firearm. I was surrounded by a pack about 7-8 years ago, only luckily escaped from them with some help.

What is your preparation for your winter fun with your LC?

Last edited:
Back