Windshield replacement national back-order?

I have a large crack in the upper passenger side of my windshield from a stray rock on the highway. I requested OEM replacement, which Safelite is happy to do, but I was just notified that there is a "NATIONAL BACKORDER from the manufacturer, with no current ETA"... Has anyone else run into this? I wonder if a Toyota dealership has any better connection to order one?

This the same thing I was talking about on another thread called “glass imperfections “ it took about a month and a phone call to Toyota corporate to get my rubber molding parts to repair my front windshield due to the alleged back order issues . My glass company got the part and is coming today to repair my windshield…. That being said, does anyone know how to strengthen the windshield from cracks… like a wrap or ?
Using a good marine sealant, put 3/4" plywood on the windshield with a little bitty hole in it for you to look out of.
Seriously though, nothing's going to stop the cracks. Remember there's a laminated sheet in between two pieces of glass for safety. You can put clear tint on the windshield like that ceramic kind of block out the heat but nothing's gonna stop the cracks in my opinion.
That's of people like that ceramic tint but I hate it. It gets so hot to the touch. I did it once and when that sun was shining on the driver's window I would burn my arm if I put my arm up on the windowsill with the glass up. It does block more heat but the downfall is it gets hot from doing that.

I saw many people sell some sort of "windshield protection film". Has anybody try that? Kind of hard to imagine that a thin layer of elastic film to absorb much energy getting transferred to the glass...
Sounds like a gimmick and a rip off.

Back