Why I think all trims of the LC will hold their value ...

Gasherbrum

📛 Founding Member
Aug 10, 2023
Media
Washington DC
Fair amount of speculation that the Land Cruiser will drop in value once the 2025 4Runner hits dealerships later this year, as the vehicles overlap in many features, appeal to a similar buyer base and most trims of the 4Runner will be cheaper than the lowest cost 1958 LC. However, unlike the big cushy Land Cruisers of a few years ago, the new LC is going to draw interest from buyers looking at the upcoming 4Runner and by simple supply and demand, I think the LC will hold its value well even relative to the 4Runner.

The two vehicles are built on the same platform, are similar in size and off road capabilities and many trims share the identical drivetrains - they're competitors. While the lower trims of the upcoming 4Runners are going to start around $ 45,000 the upper trims are apparently going to be around $ 65,000 plus - almost identical to the mid LC trim. So for a buyer looking at the two vehicles, what makes them different? I'll start with something obvious - how they look, since they definitely differ here - the LC has classic boxy lines while the 2025 4Runner is more modern. Many people like the new look of the 4Runner, while some have said it evokes a Dodge Durango on steroids. Another substantial difference is the cabin area - the LC is taller and has better visibility. These of course are subjective differences.

But a key objective difference between the two vehicles is availability. Toyota sold almost 120,000 4Runners in the US last year, but apparently intends to produce only about 10,000 Land Cruisers this year per Road & Track. So this means there will be a supply of around 12 4Runners for each LC. Consequently, while both vehicles appeal to a similar group of buyers, I think the limited availability of LC's compared to the number of available 4Runners will help the LC to retain its value fairly well. My two cents.

I see them focused on different purchaser profiles, i.e. the 4Runner aimed at the younger set. It is essentially a Tacoma forward of the rear seat, back to when the 4Runner was initially conceived. The LC has limited trim levels, essentially two, but we know that will not be true for the new 4Runner. Are we sure the new 4Runner will be made in Japan? Will be very interesting how it all shakes out...

I see them focused on different purchaser profiles, i.e. the 4Runner aimed at the younger set. It is essentially a Tacoma forward of the rear seat, back to when the 4Runner was initially conceived. The LC has limited trim levels, essentially two, but we know that will not be true for the new 4Runner. Are we sure the new 4Runner will be made in Japan? Will be very interesting how it all shakes out...

"The 2025 4Runner will be built in Toyota Motor Corporation’s Tahara plant in Japan and will arrive in the U.S. at the end of 2024. "

You can bet your hind end the new TRD Pro and Trailhunter trims of the 4Runner are going to be 65 grand…
With just a couple of options, i won’t be surprised to see the pro versions bump over $70k. And that’s only if you can find them at msrp. And frankly, a $70k taco is just plain foolishness

I’ve had 3 generations of 4Runners, I liked them all. Almost appears the 4Runner and lc have traded styles. 5th gen 4r is kinda boxy while the previous gen lc offered in the states was, shall we say, more aerodynamic. Now 2025 4Runners more aerodynamic and lc boxy. I totally wanted a 2025 4Runner after 14 years on the same platform. When I saw the reveal I honestly thought Toyota could have done a better job with the styling. I’ll leave it at that. I started looking into the lc more. The rectangular headlights grew on me. A little smaller and cheaper than the previous lc. Was fortunate (I hope) to get an allocation for a premie in wcp built at Tahara.

The new 4Runner body style has grown on me some, but as a late middle aged buyer, it vibes too “young” for me. I think the market segments are mostly age differentiated, honestly.

in my opinion, new 4Runner looks way too similar to the Tacoma. Some people might like that, but to me it looks like a Tacoma with bed shell. It is almost like a wrangler and gladiator.

Out going 4Runner did not look like that, and had more character.

in my opinion, new 4Runner looks way too similar to the Tacoma. Some people might like that, but to me it looks like a Tacoma with bed shell. It is almost like a wrangler and gladiator.

Out going 4Runner did not look like that, and had more character.
That’s Toyota going back to their roots! I actually don’t mind that element, and kind of like it actually, but the overall styling is ‘youthful’ for sure.

Back