Toyota App?

D-Train

đź“› Founding Member
Jul 29, 2024
Media
Denver
Vehicles
LC Underground Premium Sprinter 170
Hello All! Picked up my LC Premium package yesterday. Reading the many threads on here, I declined all the Toyota App features much to the chagrin of my sales rep.

Other than remote start, is there really anything I'm missing? I understand that I'll have to pay for that feature after a year. Thank you in advance for the advice!

Last edited:
There’s a GPS to show location of vehicle. You can also input destinations that will go straight to vehicle. The digital key.

Can this all be done thru Apple Maps? I have a super secret hidden Air Tag as well..

I've found it handy to use the app tied to my Apple Watch so I can use it as a digital key. I also like the ability to remotely (from anywhere in the world) view status and activate the locks.

Reactions: LC3
I've found it handy to use the app tied to my Apple Watch so I can use it as a digital key. I also like the ability to remotely (from anywhere in the world) view status and activate the locks.
I haven’t figured out how to do that yet 🤔 …

I haven’t figured out how to do that yet 🤔 …
The set-up is a bit muddled. I had to do it twice. But there is a walk-through for the process (involving bluetooth) in the app itself. (Not sure if you need to enable the feature first or not, I just enabled and subscribed to every option.) Once it is enabled you can even send digital keys to other users for temporary vehicle access (I haven't tried this yet.)

I don't use it for anything at all except OTA updates. OTA updates use the app to validate and acquire the new software.

It a might be a useful app to some, but I don't need anybody capturing my data and selling or using it for anything. I'm never going to drive it without a physical fob, the remote start is also available with a fob, remote window roll up/down is available with a fob. Just my opinion tho'

Last edited:
Took an hour to do this set up with my sale guy yesterday. Didnt take the first time. PITA. Then i find out, to utilize the built in maps feature of my display, you have to pay $15 month. WTF. My last two vehicles had free maps integration in the vehicle. Now apple car play is needed. Sad.

I don't use it for anything at all except OTA updates. OTA updates use the app to validate and acquire the new software.

It a might be a useful app to some, but I don't need anybody capturing my data and selling or using it for anything. I'm never going to drive it without a physical fob, the remote start is also available with a fob, remove window roll up/down is available with a fob. Just my opinion tho'
I'm with you... don't like the idea of selling my data. We think that anything that is 'free' means we aren't paying for it.. you are, you just don't know how they are monetizing it.

With that said, I'm assuming the OTA updates are for the infotainment system? I don't care about the Nav updates as I won't be using it. Is there a work around (USB/etc) if not using the app to update these things? TIA!!

I'm with you... don't like the idea of selling my data. We think that anything that is 'free' means we aren't paying for it.. you are, you just don't know how they are monetizing it.

With that said, I'm assuming the OTA updates are for the infotainment system? I don't care about the Nav updates as I won't be using it. Is there a work around (USB/etc) if not using the app to update these things? TIA!!
Not that I've found. On my Taco when I found out there was an update, I renewed my Toyota app, got the update and let the app lapse again. ($8 bucks vs dealer service fee)

I opted out of connected services and never downloaded the app or did any fancy setup on the in truck screen. I just use wired CarPlay and the fob. As EOD Guy has said, I may occasionally use it for software updates unless I have another reason to take it to the shop anyways.

Hello All! Picked up my LC Premium package yesterday. Reading the many threads on here, I declined all the Toyota App features much to the chagrin of my sales rep.

Other than remote start, is there really anything I'm missing? I understand that I'll have to pay for that feature after a year. Thank you in advance for the advice!
I declined all Toyota connected services when I picked ours up almost a month ago. The sales rep really tried to convince me that it was an added convenience. However, I’m old school and said “No, thank you. Actually…can I get all the “advanced” technology taken out…I.e.: WiFi and Blutooth?” I think he thought I was joking but after realizing I wasn’t…I was told “yeah no. I’m not sure you could buy a new vehicle today without it.”
Long story short he called again today and asked if he could help me install it by walking me through the process bc his boss was on his back bc I hadn’t! I declined again & asked if there was a reason I needed to install it? Would my warranties be voided if I didn’t? Why the push? Is there incentive for them? Needless to say…I was told it has no affect on any warranty but yes his boss gets I believe $300 per install.

So there’s that! And no thank you, I will continue to pass on that “convenience”. Lol

I also declined the app and all the connected services. Regarding over-the-air updates, if declining the app prevents these it’s a positive as far as I’m concerned. We also have a Mustang Mach-E, which seems to do a lot of “updates”. These don’t always work as we found out the hard way when the car was bricked in the garage the day after a nighttime update. If my car is working fine, no updates please.

I also declined the app and all the connected services. Regarding over-the-air updates, if declining the app prevents these it’s a positive as far as I’m concerned. We also have a Mustang Mach-E, which seems to do a lot of “updates”. These don’t always work as we found out the hard way when the car was bricked in the garage the day after a nighttime update. If my car is working fine, no updates please.
I had a 2020 Toyota four Runner for two years and a 2022 Lexus for two years and I think each one had one over the air update. The only thing that Toyota updates over the air is basically the multimedia system. And they are very slow to do that.

Reading thru the owners manual (multimedia one) it looks as though you can connect the LC to a wifi network at your house/garage and do 'OTA' updates via that method. It also mentions doing it via USB thumb drive.

As mentioned above, if it ain't broke... don't update it!

Back