Torque Converter/Transmission slippage

motodog71

đź“› Founding Member
May 30, 2024
I've had my LC for 1750 miles and notice some slippage in the torque converter in the under 25 mph zone when going uphill and giving gas but not full gas. It's more when partial gas could be the hybrid deciding what to do if engage the motor or hybrid so slips until give more or less gas? My transmission shifts great, ,I have zero shudders and my temperature of my tranny is good. I've been a manual guy most of my life or V8 auto so maybe just a 4 banger hybrid quirks that everyone has? It just feels like the torque converter could be dialed in better maybe there will be a software update anyone else notice this?

I believe mine does something similar. It will hold about 3K Rpm’s. It’s an 8 speed so it may be trying to decide on what gear to use.

I believe mine does something similar. It will hold about 3K Rpm’s. It’s an 8 speed so it may be trying to decide on what gear to use.
Yes that’s it just feels like it slips a bit at 3k in 1st or 2nd sometimes for a second when try and figure out what wants to do.

Mine does this as well, I only have 200 miles on odo and was wondering how to exactly replicate. Is this something to worry about/fix?

What drive mode are you in? ECO, Normal, or Sport? And could this make a difference?

T
What drive mode are you in? ECO, Normal, or Sport? And could this make a difference?
It doesn't make a difference if its in sport mode with me. I think it may be solved with a software update probably a quirk to maximize fuel efficiency that I notice. If I go to manual mode randomly the auto seems to use all my gears. It shifts smooth with slow and fast acceleration. It's more mid acceleration on a hill that gets confused that notice it most. It holds or slips a bit at 3K trying to decide what to do for a second making the car more buzzy than needs to be at times.

I've noticed a pretty decent thump in the transmission first thing when backing out of our driveway and turning up the hill to leave. A bit concerning as it's very noticeable. Just had the first break squeal this morning as well when backing out. It's very loud. 670 miles on the ODO.

I've noticed a pretty decent thump in the transmission first thing when backing out of our driveway and turning up the hill to leave. A bit concerning as it's very noticeable. Just had the first break squeal this morning as well when backing out. It's very loud. 670 miles on the ODO.
Where I leave from work I turn to go up a hill, as I ascend my transmission always has a noticeable hard shift/thump from 1st to second gear, it seems to hang on to first gear for too long. Not sure if its what your feeling, but the shift points seem to be off going up a hill.

Where I leave from work I turn to go up a hill, as I ascend my transmission always has a noticeable hard shift/thump from 1st to second gear, it seems to hang on to first gear for too long. Not sure if its what your feeling, but the shift points seem to be off going up a hill.
I've noticed the same behaviour shifting from first to second as well, mine is 2.8 diesel that uses a similar 8 speed toyota transmission.

Yes, this sounds the same

My Chevy 1500 used to always do that. Hasn’t been happening for me with the LC.

Back